Suwon (수원,水原) is a city in the southern central part of Gyeonggi-do. As the home of the Gyeonggi Provincial Government, it is the political, economic and administration center of Gyeonggi-do. Major subways and expressways are connected to Suwon, making it a transportation hub.
Representative attractions are Suwon Hwaseong, a world heritage site, and the Samsung Electronics headquarters.
Suwon has four general districts: Jangan District, Kwonseon District, Paldal District and Yeongtong District. The adjacent cities are Yongin City to the east, Ansan City to the west, Hwaseong to the south and Uiwang City to the north.
- Jangan-gu (장안구): The northwest of Suwon. The origin of the name 'Jangan' is Janganmun in Jangan-dong.
- Gwonseon-gu (권선구): The southwestern part of Suwon. Gwonseon-gu is the largest in Suwon and has a large population.
- Paldal-gu (팔달구): The center of Suwon. There are several government offices including Gyeonggi-do Provincial Government, Suwon City Hall, Suwon Tax Office and Incheon Gyeonggi Regional Military Service.
- Yeongtong-gu (영통구): The eastern part of Suwon. Here are being built the transferred Gyeonggi-do Provincial Government and Gwanggyo New Town.
Suwon's climate is very similar to that of nearby Seoul other cites like Ansan. Compared to Incheon or Seoul, Suwon is relatively hotter and colder. It has a continental climate.
Suwon is connected to neighborhood cites by various transportation (e.g. train, subway, bus). You can go to Suwon and travel here by them (add to taxi, bicycle and on foot).
|Climate chart (explanation)|
For visitors to Seoul, Suwon can be treated like another suburb although it will still take around an hour to get there.
If you want to go Suwon, take the Seoul subway. In Incheon International Airport, you can use the Airport railway and go Seoul station. If you arrived in Seoul station, you take line 1 (blue) south - Cheonan/Shinchang line. It takes about 2 hours. Ensure that you are on the correct section of the train, as it later splits and travels on two lines: the Incheon line (west) and Cheonan/Shinchang line (south). You can transfer to the correct train at Guro station if you're not on the right one. Prior to this station there is a notification about the transfer option.
Suwon is on Subway Line 1. Travel times to the center of Suwon (Suwon station):
- From Seoul Station (Seoul): 1 hour
- From Oido Station (Siheung, Incheon) : 1 hour
- 1 Sungkyunkwan Univ. (성균관대). Sungkyunkwan Univ. is the first subway station of Suwon, from the direction of Seoul or Incheon.
- 2 Hwaseo (화서). Hwaseo is between Sungkyunkwan Univ. and Suwon. If you're here, you're almost in Suwon.
- 3 Suwon (수원). If you want to go Suwon, you'll arrive here. Suwon station is the one of the biggest stations of Korea.
- 4 Seryu (세류). Seryu is the next station of Suwon station, and it is the last subway station.
It is also possible to take a commuter train from Seoul station. This is much faster (25-35 min), but runs less frequently.
- KTX: It operates 5 times a day and takes 30 min. It costs about ₩8,400.
- Mugunghwa ho (K.O무궁화호): It operates 10 times a day and takes 25-30 min. It costs about ₩2,600. Morning rush-hour service (05:00-08:00) in crowded.
If you use bus in Seoul you can use various route.
- From Gangnam station in Seoul, there are bus (number 5100, 3000, 3003, 3007, 3002) go to Suwon.
- From Sadang station (Subway line 2 cross with line 4) in Seoul, you can take bus (number 7000, 7770, 7001, 7780, 7800).
- There is a one way go from Seoul station to Suwon station (number 8800).
- There is also a bus service connecting Castle Hotel in Suwon with Incheon International Airport, which takes 60-90 min. This service operates 06:20-22:30 to the hotel and 04:50-20:30 to the airport, every 20-30 min and costs ₩12,000.
The bus lines in Suwon are reliable and cheap. Most major stops have a list of available bus lines with route information. Green buses typically run inside the city, and larger blue and red buses take passengers to Seoul and neighboring cities. While mainly listed in Korean, most major stops and points of interest are also listed in English. English announcements on the bus are only for stops of tourist interest. Suwon bus station is not the terminal station for the bus lines, so make sure you board the correct traveling direction.
Taxis are prevalent in Suwon, and easy to use. Several offer free translation services. You should know a major feature near your destination as the taxi drivers may not know specific addresses or minor building names, however with a little patience and understanding you will find a taxi willing to get you near your destination. Some will even call English-speaking friends or relatives to help.
Taxis are easily identified, mainly gray, white or black with lit signs on top and in the front windows. Black taxis are called "luxury" taxis, tend to be more comfortable and larger cars, go slower, and cost more. The gray or white taxis tend to get you there faster and cheaper, but may drive more recklessly.
There are four stops on Seoul subway Line 1 (Blue) that service the Suwon area. Suwon Station is the most central and largest, the second largest in the country, and also houses the train station proper, where you can catch a train to nearly anywhere else in South Korea. Another subway line is under construction to serve other parts of the city.
There are two subway lines in Suwon. It is the Bundang Line and Line 1. The Bundang Line connects Yongin and Gangnam as the last stop of Suwon Station and Cheongnyangni Station in Seoul. The first line connects Shinchang Station in South Chungcheong Province to Guro Station in Seoul.
Cycling in Suwon is easy as the sidewalks are wide and many are combination sidewalk and bike path. There are only a few challenging hills in Suwon and pedestrian traffic is not congestive in most areas.
- bandikle (반디클). It is a bicycle sharing system in Suwon. This is an unmanned rental system and operates and manages public bicycles. Their work is in charge of operating a bicycle rental center, visiting bicycle safety training, civil bicycle insurance, recycling unattended bicycles, operating a bicycle repair center, and promoting the use of bicycles. This built a bike road network. And expand bike paths, Maintain bicycle road facilities, Finally, the bike rack was expanded.
Suwon is a large city, but walking can be a nice alternative to driving around downtown, the markets and the fortress proper. Whilst the walk between Suwon train station and the fortress is doable at a stretch, the Intercity Bus Terminal on the south side is too far away, via a polluted mess of urban sprawl.
- 1 Hwaseong Fortress (수원화성), 320-2, Yeonghwa-dong, Jangan-gu, ☏ . Mar-Oct: 09:00 - 18:00, Nov-Feb: 10:00-17:00. A stunning fortress constructed between 1794 to 1796 and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It features four main gates with the north and south (Janganmun and Paldalmun) being particularly impressive with their unique structures. In addition small sentry posts (Porus) and two command posts (Jangdaes) can be found dotted around the walls. The SeoJangdae outpost, found within the forested hills on the western side of the fortress, offers great panoramic views of the city below. Walking the circumference along the wall takes 2-3 hours or visitors can opt for the electric train option. 10-minute bus ride from the central subway station to the Paldalmun roundabout. Several bus lines go there, including 11, 13, 13-3, 36. Buses don't terminate at the Suwon station, so make sure you're on the correct traveling direction. Or, it's a 30-minute walk from Suwon station to Paldalmun Gate. ₩500 child, ₩700 concession, ₩1000 adult.
- 2 Hwaseong Haenggung (화성행궁), 825, Jeongjo-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 09:00 - 18:00. It was a temporary place where King Jeongjo stayed when he visited the tomb. It used to be used as a place where the vice-president or Yoo Soo used to work. It was built on the eastern foot of Paldalsan Mountain in 1789 (the 13th year of King Jeongjo's reign) after the construction of a new town in Suwon. It has 567 square cars, the largest size of Korean royal palaces. Japanese occupation, however, nangnamheon Japanese national culture and history of every facility excluding with extermination policy were destroyed. In the late 1980s, as a result of steady and active restoration campaigns by meaningful local citizens, the restoration project began in 1996, the 200th anniversary of Hwaseong Fortress, and the first stage restoration was completed with 482 compartments and opened to the public in October 2003. In October 1789, King Jeongjo traveled to Hwaseong 13 times in 12 years until January 1800 (the 24th year of King Jeongjo's reign) after moving Hyeonreungwon, the tomb of his father's apostolic, and stayed there every time. It was designated as Gyeonggi-do Monument No. 65 and was elevated to a private level on June 8, 2007. Every Tuesday through Sunday, the 24-hour martial arts demonstration is held from 11:00 to 30 minutes. ₩700 child, ₩1000 concession, ₩1500 adult.
- 3 Paldalmun (팔달문), 780, Jeongjo-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . 24 hours. It was designated as Treasure No. 402 on September 3, 1964. It was built in 1794 (the 18th year of King Jeongjo's reign) and has five squares on the front and two squares on the side of the gate and a medium-class right-winged roof. On the Hongye-mun Gate of the stone pillars, a middle-class structure was built with four sides of the gate, a half-moon shape, and a traditional Korean structure was built. Inside the gate, a single row of garlands was placed in the center, and all the upper and lower masses were connected to them. The upper and lower layers of fear are internal and external osmosis trees, and the inner layers are all decorated with door-to-door ornaments. Free.
- 4 Manseok Park (만석공원), 434-2, Songjuk-dong, Jangan-gu. Open 24 hours. It covers 355,800 m². The park was constructed in 1998 and is centered on a reservoir called Manseokgeo. Manseokgeo is a reservoir built by people who moved in nearby areas while building Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon in 1795. The reservoir was built and 10,000 more rice were produced, so it was called a full seat. But now it is called the Japanese Imperial Reservoir or Gyopjeongbangjuk. The name gyo-gujeong was called because the pavilion was located in the south of the reservoir. But now, there is a movie theater built in 1996. In addition to the pavilion, there are also water fountains, 33 vines, 54 lighthouses and 146 pavilions as rest facilities. Sports facilities include a multi-purpose playground, a tennis court, a gated ballpark and a soccer field, and a convenience facility for two parking lots and restrooms. There is also a Suwon Museum of Art in the park, so you can relax and enjoy artwork. It is a 20-minute walk from Hwaseo Station on Gyeongsu Line and is located nearby Suwon World Cup Stadium, Suwon Fortress Wall, and Korea Folk Village. free.
- 5 Suwon World Cup Stadium (수원월드컵경기장), 310, World cup-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . M-F 09:00 - 18:00. Also known as the Big Bird, Suwon's World Cup Stadium hosted one of the quarter-finals for the 2002 FIFA World Cup and is now home to the 'Suwon Blue Wings of the K-League.
- 6 Gyeonggi Arts Center (경기도문화의전당), 20, Hyowon-ro 307beon-gil, Paldal-gu (in Ingye-dong in Suwon), ☏ . M-F 09:00 - 18:00. Gyeonggi Culture Hall is a comprehensive cultural and artistic venue located in Ingye-dong, Paldal-gu, Suwon, Gyeonggi Province. The building is equipped with an anti-aircraft performance hall, a small performance hall, a war market, a convention center, and an outdoor concert hall. The anti-aircraft performance can feature various types of indoor performances, including concerts, operas, ballet and musicals. The exhibition hall will feature exhibitions of paintings, photographs, calligraphy, sculptures and crafts. Various planned performances will be held at the outdoor concert hall.
- 7 Haewoojae Museum (해우재 박물관), 9, Jangan-ro 458beon-gil, Jangan-gu, ☏ . 10:00 to 18:00 every day (January 1, New Year's Day holiday, Chuseok holiday closed). It is a museum where you can learn about Korea's history through poop. From the past to the present, we can see the culture of Korean bowel movements. You can also learn about not only Korea but also the culture of bowel movements in the world. free.
- 8 Haengung-dong Mural Village (행궁동 벽화마을), 41, Hwaseomun-ro 72beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . everyday 24 hours. In 2013, the city of Suwon restored the old residential area by painting murals as part of a project to create an ecological city. It is a fun place to find more vivid and rich murals through the participation of artists and to leave unique photos. Guides are available free of charge from an alley commentator on a team of 5 to 15. It takes about an hour to take the course of Hwaseong Haenggung Palace - Sinpungcho Wall Rock Gallery - Hwaryeongjeon - Naheseok Sangga Site Alley - Eco-traffic Village - Mural Alley - Ssamji Park - Suwon Traditional Culture Center - Janganmun - Hwaseomun - Hwaseong Haenggung Palace. free.
- 9 Suwon Gwanggyo Museum (수원광교박물관), 182, Gwanggyo-ro, Yeongtong-gu, ☏ . 09:00-18:00 daily (the ticket closes at 17:00). This museum exhibits artifacts that were unearthed at the time by creating new city, and explains the history of modern Korean history and culture of political, social and cultural history, including the Ship of Admiral Yi and Dokdo and Japan. Adults (19-64) ₩2000, youths and soldiers ₩1000, children and the elderly free.
- 10 Seojangdae, Bell of Hyowon (서장대), ☏ . Hyowon’s Bell is at the summit of Paldalsan Mountain. In this place, You can experience 'Ringing the big bell'. The first ring is praying for the health of one's parents, the second ring is praying for the health of one's family, the third ring is praying for one's own advancement. ₩1000/session (3 rings).
- 1 geobugsandang (거북산당). Yeongdong Turtle Sandang is a congregation that performs Dodang-gut which is one of the representative village gut in Suwon. The Yeongdong Turtle Mountain Hall celebrates Dodang-gut every October on the 7th lunar calendar to pray for the prosperity of the Youngdong market and the peace of merchants. The Turtle Mountain Hall is 507 cm in length and 266 cm in length, and the roof is placed on the roof of the Gonggi, facing northeast. Built in 1964, it was renovated in 1986 as the Suwon City's No. 2 Cultural Heritage Site, and was renovated in 1994. Inside the house, there are two paintings of the altar, the images of the Great King (Yamla Great King), the Turtle Dodang Grandfather, and the Turtle Dodang Grandmother.
- 2 mileugdang (미륵당). It was renovated in 1959 as a house where Miseol Buddha, believed to be the patron deity, was renamed to "Hwaghwadang." It is a small building made of bricks of 1 square and 3.1 m³. Maitreya is only exposed in the upper body and the lower body is almost sunk. The height of the upper body section is only 244 cm, chest width 107 cm, head height 114 cm and made of granite. In general, it is known to be a Maitreya statue combined with civil beliefs since the middle of Joseon Dynasty because of its familiarity with the native carving technique.
- 3 Hangmijeong (항미정). Hang Mijeong (杭 尾 亭) are the first ruins of Suwon City. Hang Mijeong is to the west of the Chukje Embankment. It was built as an agricultural reservoir for the 23rd year of Joseon Dynasty (1799), and it is commonly referred to as West Lake because it is on the west side of the embankments (mangakje, cheonmanje, and fountain festivals). Hang Mijeong is a specialty that makes the West Lake scenery and scenery more beautiful and compelling.
- 4 kkochmoe jesayujeogji (꽃뫼 제사유적지). Ruins of Hwaseo-dong, Paldal-gu, have been reclaimed from the hole pattern earthenware of the Bronze Age and the relics of the Three Kingdoms and Joseon Dynasty. In addition, it was confirmed that it is an important sacred site from the Three Kingdoms period, and in the village, all residents participated in the period before and after Chuseok to raise Dongje (Town Festival). The name 'Mormo' hanged on this mountain after a maiden who had a long-time ill father's father who had worked hard together, hung up on this mountain. Since then, people have called it "Mormo" in consideration of the virgin who was filthy.
- 5 Suwon changseongsaji jingag gugsa tabbi (수원 창성사지 진각국사탑비), 160-45 in Haengung-dong, Paldal-gu, ☏ . The monument was created in the 12th year of King Wu of Goryeo (1386) as it chronicles the life and achievements of Chen Hui, the Jin Gak Guksa Temple who entered Changseong Temple. Chun-hee entered the Buddhist world at the age of 13. The 57-year-old decided to study in China at a late age and returned from studying Zen Buddhism in the Yuan Dynasty for two years from 1364. Originally, the pagoda was located at the Cheongseongsa Temple site at the foot of Gwangyosan Mountain, but was relocated to the side of the fire hydrant at Suwon Hwaseong Fortress on June 9, 1965 and a protective pavilion was installed.
- 6 Hwaseomun (화서문), 334, Jangan-dong, Paldal-gu, ☏ . It was built in 1796 (the 20th year of King Jeongjo's reign) and opened Hongye-mun Gate on the stone pillars leading from side to side to side. On the front, the fortress was also built with semi-circular foreshadows. The architecture was a typical two-wing house, with its exterior covered with a flower bed on top of a window room. In addition, there is a chungryang across the side posts from the mass and the ceiling is the lotus lantern ceiling. The structure is unique in a way that is not found in other fortress buildings in Korea, and this makes the nearby landscape even more beautiful.
- 7 Banghwasulyujeong (방화수류정), 44-6, Suwoncheon-ro 392beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Banghwasulyujeong is the northeastern angle among the four kernels on Hwaseong, Suwon. It was built in 1794 (the 18th year of King Jeongjo's reign) as a military command post in the northeastern part of Hwaseong Fortress. It is on Yongdu, a rocky hilltop that rises on the South Korean side of Hwahhongmun Gate, the northern gate of Hwaseong. The name of the grotto is said to have been derived from "Undam Punggyeonggeun Ocheon" and "Haehwajeoncheon," a poet of the Song Dynasty of China, while the writing of the Hyeonpan was written by modern calligrapher Kim Ki-seung. It was designated as Treasure No. 1709 on March 3, 2011
- 8 Northwest Gongsimdon (서북공심돈), 372-1, Yeonghwa-dong, Jangan-gu, ☏ . Treasure No. 1701. Money means a tall watchtower that monitors what happens inside and outside the sanctuary, and public money is an empty structure. The interior can be divided into layers and climbed up and down through a ladder, and many holes can be drilled up and down to look at the movements outside and attack the enemy with arrows or guns. In Hwaseong, Suwon, there are three public funds -- the Northwest Simdon, the Southern Simdon and the Northeast Gongsimdon -- which are built over Hwaseomun Bukchi.
- 9 Adams memorial hall (아담스 기념관), 342, Suwoncheon-ro, Maeyang-dong, Paldal-gu, ☏ . It was a school erected on June 25, 1923. The building was sponsored by the Adams Church. At that time, it contributed to education and modernization of the Suwon, and is now used as a facility for surrounding school.
- 10 budeunae sanjedang (버드네 산제당), 경기도 수원시 권선구 세류3동 권선로596번길 14-9. Sanjedang in Bud was one of Suwon's representative village sugar houses. The town's common rituals at Sanjedan in Upper Bird are called 'Dangjeje', 'Dangjeje', 'Sanshinje' and 'Sanjesa'. Originally, the shape of the house was not conveyed, but the damage to the house, which was a tiled roof on the soil wall, was severely damaged. As time went by, it was old and damaged, and it was rebuilt as of July 10, 2007. The annual festival takes place every early evening in the lunar month and shows that it was a typical rural village ritual to pray for the peace of the village, the longevity of the villagers, and the abundant harvest.
- 11 donglaejeongssi yagsabul (동래정씨 약사불), 경기도 수원시 영통구 이의동 1088-10. Seokbul moved from Suwon-dong, Suwon-si to Suwon Museum in 2008. The women of Dongraejeong family used to make an offering on the first day of the month and on the full day. It is composed of three main statues, the left statue of the main zone and the bodhisattva figurine of the left and right side. A circular headlight was represented on the back of the head of the main zone. Overall, there are colored traces around the body of the Buddha, and the expression of a smile with a big neck is a factor that makes a good impression. In view of the bland omission of clothes, the simple shape of softening pedestals consisting of angryong and abdominal cramps, and the detailed carving techniques, the timing of production is estimated after the middle of the Goryeo period.
- 12 Changsungsaji (창성사지). Changsungsaji is in Suwon Gwanggyosan Mountain. The exact date of construction of Changseongsa Temple is unknown, but Cheonhee Cheung-hee (1307 ~ 1385) of Goryeo horse was entered here in 1382 in Suwon Changseongsaji Jingak Guksa Temple (Treasure No. 14). It is believed that Changsung was founded at least before the late Goryeo Dynasty.
- 13 Hwaryeongjeon (화령전). Hwaryeongjeon Hall is a shrine that houses the portrait of King Jeongjo built inside Hwaseong. On June 28, 1800, King Jeongjo ascended as a 46-year-old diary and at first, he had his portrait taken to the tomb of the Apostolic at Bongangak, Hyeonreungwon, but after the completion of the Hwaseong Haenggung Palace, he moved it to Haenggung. However, Haenggung was not built as a place to serve the portrait, so in 1801, Hwaryeongjeon Hall, which will house the portrait, was constructed next to the palace.
- 1 Mount Gwanggyo (광교산). Mount Gwanggyo is in the north end of Suwon and offers an excellent of view of Suwon and the surrounding area. There are a number of peaks as well as a number of trails of varying difficulty. After a hike, try eating at one of the many farm restaurants at the base of the mountain. There are plenty of options for vegetarians here, and the tofu and dong-dong ju are as fresh as you can get it.
- 2 Traditional Korean Archery. from 09:30, every half hour; they don't operate during lunch break or when weather is not permitting (rain or snow). You can try your hand at Korean archery at the Yeonmudae outpost within Hwaseong Fortress. ₩2000/round (10 shots).
- 3 Suwon World Cup stadium (수원 월드컵 경기장), 310, World Cup-ro, Uman 1-dong, Paldal-gu, ☏ . It is a soccer stadium built with for the 2002 FIFA World Cup (Co-hosted by Korea and Japan), and is now the home stadium for K League 1 Suwon Samsung Bluewings and FC Suwon. Big Bird was nicknamed the home team's nickname for the wing of Suwon and the large wing-shaped roof covering the east and west bleachers. There is also a supplementary stadium for the public, and reservations must be made by phone or internet. There are also attractions to see inside, such as a football museum. If you like football, you can visit here and feel the nostalgia of football.
- 4 Flying Suwon (플라잉수원), 697, Gyeongsu-daero, Paldal-gu, ☏ . M-F 11:00-22:30, Sa Su 11:00-23:00. Unlike the observatory, you can enjoy the night view of Suwon, the largest city in Gyeonggi Province, on a hot-air balloon. You can experience a large hot air balloon here. 30 people can ride a hot air balloon, and they can go up to 150M and see the Suwon city from the sky. If you are looking for an exotic experience, this is the place to go. Please note that there are many people between 3pm and 5pm. Adults ₩18,000, middle and high school students ₩17,000, elementary school students ₩15,000, preschool children ₩12,000.
- 5 Probike (프로바이크), 206, Geumgok-ro, Gwonseon-gu, ☏ . 10:00-20:00 (excluding months). A bicycle rental store. Bicycle roads such as Gwanggyo Lake Park and Manseok Park are well constructed in Suwon. The price varies depending on the type of bicycle and can be rented through an application called a bicycle.
- 6 [dead link] Shop VR at Suwon (샵브이알 수원점), 51, Ganmaesan-ro, Paldal-gu,, ☏ . 11:00-23:00 daily. Basic fee ₩10,000.
- 7 Shooting zone (슈팅존), 42, Gwonseon-ro 668beon-gil, Gwonseon-gu,, ☏ . 11:00-22:00 daily. Korea has long been famous for its handling of the bow. Archery 20 shots ₩7000, 30 shots ₩12,000, 1 hour ₩18,000.
- 8 Fishing Café in the Royal Pirate (해적왕실내낚시카페), 47, Hyowon-ro 307beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . M-F 14:00-01:00, Sa Su 11:00-02:00. There are many restrictions due to the nature of fishing that must be done outdoors. However, the restrictions were resolved by bringing fishing into the room. One hour: man ₩10,000, woman ₩9000, youth ₩7,000.
- 9 Carpking fishing cafe (잉어킹낚시카페), 56, Gyeongsu-daero 446beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . M-F 14:0-02:00, Sa Su and Holidays 12:00-02:00.
- 10 Young fish (청춘물고기), 22-15, Hyanggyo-ro 1beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . M-F 13:00-01:00, F 13:00-02:00, Sa 12:00-02:00, Su 12:00-01:00. Man ₩10,000, woman ₩9000, couple ₩18,000.
- 11 [maketicket.co.kr Hwaseong-eocha] (화성어차), 3-14, Maehyang-dong, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:00-17:00 (30 minutes interval). Based on the motif of the car used by King Sunjong and the kiln of the Joseon Dynasty, the newly-developed Hwaseong fish car is a tourist train in Suwon City that circulates Yeonmudae, Hwah Hongmun, Hwaseomun, Paldalsan, Hwaseong Haenggung, Paldalmun, and Suwon Hwaseong Museum. Tour available in English, Chinese and Japanese. Adult ₩4,000, youth or soldiers ₩2500, child ₩1500.
- 12 Suwon Hwaseong Bicycle Taxi (수원화성 자전거택시), 3-14, Maehyang-dong, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:10-17:00. Eco-friendly bike taxis for exploring the alleys of Suwon Hwaseong Fortress. 2 people can ride on each bike taxi in Suwon, and you can enjoy one of the three exploratory courses for 60 minutes. In case of rain or snow, the operation is suspended for safety. Hwaseong Fortress, Suwon Hwaseong Museum (Changryongdaero 21), Suwon Traditional Culture Center (Jangan-dong, Paldalong-dong), Na Hye-seok's birthplace (Na Hye-seok, Haenggung-dong), and Gongbang Street (Paldal-gu, Namdaemun Market). ₩14,000 for one. }
There are many department store and shops in Suwon. Jewelry, clothing and accessories are available at department stores, and daily necessities are available at supermarkets. Also, there are traditional markets that have existed for a long time.
- 1 Suwon premium outlet (수원 프리미엄아울렛), 64, Jungbu-daero, Giheung-gu, Yongin-si, ☏ . Daily 11:00-21:30. Suwon premium outlet is a luxury outlet that offers fashion products at discounts of 50-80% throughout the year. It is only 5 minutes from the Suwon IC of Gyeongbu Expressway, and it is a family-run shopping outing with cultural facilities such as 500 parking spaces, a baby rest room, a state-of-the-art brain development playground, and is recommended by various media.
- 2 Lotte Mall (Suwon station) (롯데몰 수원역), 134, Sehwa-ro, Gwonseon-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:30-22:00. Lotte Department Store in Suwon is on the 1st to 7th floors of the basement. The exterior is a modern representation of the long castle of Suwon Hwaseong. It has been was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Lotte Mall has a rooftop ecological park and eco-friendly facilities. There's also plenty of space to park.
- 3 AK Plaza (Suwon station) (AK플라자), 42, Seryu-ro 61beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:30-20:00. It is a place where you can enjoy a lot of shopping, movies and dining out. Disadvantages include poor traffic, making it difficult to enter the parking lot when crowded, including weekends.
- 4 NC Department Store Suwon Terminal (NC백화점 수원터미널점), 43, Seji-ro 140beon-gil, Gwonseon-gu (in the Suwon terminal), ☏ . Daily 10:30-21:00. Unlike other department stores, they sell low-priced products.
- 5 Galleria Department Store Suwon Branch (갤러리아백화점 수원점), 282, Hyowon-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:30-20:00.
- 6 Crova Department Store (크로바백화점), 23, Paldalmun-ro 4beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ .
- 7 [homeplus.co.kr Home Plus at North Suwon] (홈플러스 북수원점), 930, Gyeongsu-daero, Jangan-gu,, ☏ . Daily 10:00-00:00.
- 8 [homeplus.co.kr Home Plus at Suwon Youngtong] (홈플러스수원영통점), 1576, Bongyeong-ro, Yeongtong-gu,, ☏ . Daily 10:00-00:00.
- 9 [homeplus.co.kr Home Plus at East Suwon] (홈플러스 동수원점), 257, Hyowon-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:00-00:00.
- 10 E-Mart at West Suwon (이마트 서수원점), 291, Suin-ro, Gwonseon-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:00-23:00. It is E-Mart, the nation's top three retailers.
- 11 E-Mart at Suwon (이마크 수원점), 270, Gyeongsu-daero, Gwonseon-gu,, ☏ . Daily 10:00-23:00.
- 12 Lotte Mart at Yeongtong (롯데마트 영통점), 1579, Bongyeong-ro, Yeongtong-gu, ☏ . Daily 10:00-23:00. Like Homeplus and E-Mart, Lotte Mart is one of the top three retailers in South Korea.
- 13 Gumaetan Market (구매탄시장), 36, Gwongwang-ro 260beon-gil, Yeongtong-gu. Daily 07:30-20:00. It is a traditional market that has been neatly arranged for maintenance projects. You can buy a variety of Korean side dishes and enjoy traditional street food.
- 14 Masan Market (매산시장), 477, Gwonseon-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Masan Market, which has been designated as a multicultural food brand, can enjoy a variety of foreign foods that are nicknamed the "small foreign market" in Suwon.
- 15 Nolgol General Market (못골종합시장), 10-12, Suwoncheon-ro 258beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 08:00-20:00. Unlike other markets, they mainly sell food materials. Various food ingredients such as side dishes, rice cakes, vegetables, meat and fisheries products are available.
- 16 Jidong Market (지동시장), 19, Paldalmun-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Daily 05:00-22:00. It is an exotic market modeled after Suwon Hwaseong Fortress. Unlike other markets, it is a wholesale and retail market for agricultural, water and livestock products.
The food court in the mall at the train/metro station is excellent and extensive. You can get a fantastic meal for ₩4,500 and select from many choices; there's a showcase displaying all your choices. Besides plentiful traditional Korean restaurants, there are many places which serve other cuisines and fast food. Suwon is famous for its Galbi (sweet marinated ribs). Restaurants near the Yeongtong Square (Sagori) serve Galbi. There's also an excellent Galbi restaurant right across the street from the World Cup Soccer stadium. Vegetarian restaurants are hard to find, but they do exist.
Suwon is famous for Galbi. But it is famous to effected to other food (ex. chicken). In 2019, Extreme Occupation, the Korean movie, was opened. this movie watched by 16 million people in Korea. In this movie, very special food that called to 'Suwon Wang Galbi Chicken' appeared. it mixed Galbi sauce and fried chicken in Korea And Suwon is the place of origin this. As the movie became famous, this food also became famous and it is result to Suwon' new Tourism.
- 1 Seonggwak (성곽) (passing through Janganmun Gate to the south, turn right (west) immediately; about 40 m on the left, look for a yellow building with a lot of trees). A traditional, delightful little restaurant, owned and operated by a nice old couple. Everything is homemade. If you don't read Korean (there is no English, and no menu), then get a jeong-guk-jang, a dubu kimchi, and a Makkeoli (rice wine). ₩27,000 for two people.
- 2 Bon-Suwongalbi (본수원갈비), ☏ . 11:30 - 20:30. This place is very popular place in Suwon. You can enjoy the korean traditional food galbi.
- 3 Boyoungmandu (보영만두), 경기도 수원시 장안구 영화동 팔달로 271, ☏ . 10:00-02:00. Noodle is the main menu and it tastes sweet and moderately spicy. The peculiarity is that some very cool tastes come from all sides. It feels like Chinese spices. Of course, it is a taste that anyone can enjoy casually. Parking is possible, but there is not enough space to park. Steamed mandu have a rich flavor and a good texture.
- 4 dukkeobijib (두꺼비집), ☏ . 09:30-21:30. Budaejjigae is the most famous in this restaurant. People visit here a lot for lunch. So there are times when you have to line up.
- 5 daewangkalgugsu (대왕칼국수), 경기도 수원시 팔달구 북수동 311-14, ☏ . You can eat very cheap kalguksu at this restaurant. Not only it is affordable, but you can also eat plenty of delicious kalguksu.
- 6 yongseongtongdalg (용성통닭), 경기도 수원시 팔달구 팔달로1가 정조로800번길 15. 11:00-00:30. It is the most famous chicken restaurant in Suwon. If you eat chicken on site without packing, you can feel the crispyness of chicken.
- 7 yuchihoegwan (유치회관), 경기도 수원시 팔달구 인계동 효원로292번길 67. This is the most famous place in Suwon for Haejangguk. Koreans drink alcohol and usually eat haejangguk the next day. The food served at this restaurant is not irritating and light. So, many people enjoy it.
- 8 Gabojung (가보정), 경기도 수원시 팔달구 인계동 장다리로 281, ☏ . 11:00-21:40. This restaurant is Suwon's representative beef restaurant. The typical food here is seasoned ribs. The side dishes that come with the beef are also excellent.
- 9 Suwonsamgyetang (수원삼계탕), 경기도 수원시 영통구 원천동 85-13, ☏ . 11:09-22:00. Samgyetang is a food that Koreans usually eat when they want to take care of themselves, and is this restaurant's specialty.
- 10 Myeong-ga ne (명가네), 경기도 수원시 권선구 탑동 금호로250번길 12-4, ☏ . 08:30-22:00. Sundae Gukbap is boiled or steamed food with various ingredients in the intestines of cattle or pigs. You can enjoy this food in Suwon. This restaurant sells Sundae Gukbap at an affordable price. This restaurant sells not only sundae but also slices of boiled meat, so it is good to eat with alcohol.
- 11 Chogajib (초가집), 경기도 수원시 권선구 입북동 서수원로594번길 260 (경기도 수원시 팔달구 팔달로1가 정조로800번길 16), ☏ , ✉ <supclass= "error-deadlinknoprint">[deadlink] https://www.instagram.com/kjeatertainment/<supclass="error-deadlinknoprint">[deadlink]. 10:00-22:00. This restaurant is famous for Stir-fried Octopus with Rice. Though the normal Stir-fried Octopus with Rice is spicy, at this restaurant it's not spicy, so people who can't eat spicy can enjoy it.
- 12 [dead link] Chogajib (남문통닭), 경기도 수원시 팔달구 팔달로1가 정조로800번길 16, ☏ . 12:00-22:00. This restraunt is famous as the place of origin of "Suwon Wang Galbi chicken" in Korea. If you watch 'extreme occupation' or are interested in Korean cuisine, it's a good choice. The Suwon Wang Galbi chicken is limitedly sold, about 100 a day.
Major nightlife seems to revolve around three areas: Ingyedong, Yeongtong, and Nammun (Paldamun).
In Ingyedong, you will find an amazing number of hofs, bars, restaurants, hostess bars, etc. There's also several Korean nightclubs such as Juliana, Boss etc.
- Byeolbam (별밤), 38, Hyowon-ro 249beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Everyday 19:00-05:00. It is a club that plays songs popular in the 90s.
- Byeolbam2 (별밤2), 61, Gyeongsu-daero 446beon-gil, Paldal-gu. Everyday 19:30 - 06:00. Ingyedong is the second point of the night. There is a review that is more fun than the traditional star.
- 1 THURSDAYPARTY (썰스데이파티), 46, Hyowon-ro 265beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ .
- club made (클럽 메이드), 60, Gyeongsu-daero 446beon-gil, Paldal-gu. Friday 23: 00 ~ 06: 00, Saturday 23: 00 ~ 06: 00.
Nammun is big among the university students of Suwon. It has a fashion street and the majority of nightlife is centered on Rodeo Street which is behind the main street to the left of Nammun Gate.
- 911 club. Famous for "drunken" tequila parties that it holds on Friday and Saturday night. It's a relaxed hip hop club with a bit of skate style.
- Rodeo nightclub.
Other areas that offer some nightlife options include the Ajou University area and the Suwon Station area. Where you will find:
- Plan B. A popular place among Ajou students, Aju-ro, Woncheon-dong.
- Club Tao (near Suwon Station). Large Korean-style dance club.
- Team Bar (near Suwon Station). Does bar shows.
- S bar (near Suwon Station).
- Ho rock (near Suwon Station). Serves pasta and steak, wine, and cocktails.
Yeongtong has the one of the major concentration of foreigners in Suwon city. Most of them are employees of Samsung Co. and the second dominant group are English teachers.
- Now Bar (Near the Kinex cinema.). Popular hangout for expat English teachers and foreign students because of its cheap beer, fun atmosphere and friendly owner and staff.
- Tinpan. Near KFC. Popular with students from the local university and teachers, plays mainly urban music. However has a wide range of cheap beers and cocktails.
- Sam Ryan's (near Suwon Station). The Suwon branch of the popular Itaewon bar, opened late 2011. Many beers on tap, good food, and plenty of sports on the big screen.
- The Big Chill (Big Chill), Namun (Namun, Rodeo Gil (St.) - 중동사거리 directly in front of Hotel Central/Central Hotel on the 3rd floor), ☏ . A really great bar that attracts plenty of foreigners and Koreans alike. A great atmosphere and staff. Pool table, darts, cheap drinks, and great company. Request your own music and chill with friends. It's also close to all of the other big areas to party such as Suwon Station and downtown Ingyedong.
- 2 DCT, 17 Hwasan-ro 223 Beongil, Jangan-gu (walking distance from Sungkyunkwan University Station), ☏ . 19:00-late.
Features of Suwon accommodation include a large number of love hotel-style motels. They are usually concentrated in the bar area in Ingye-dong, near Suwon Station. It is not just a love hotel-style motel. There are various types of accommodation. There are guest houses, hotels, and jjimjilbangs.
Starting with jjimjilbangs, there are accommodation ranges ranging from ₩7,000 to ₩100,000.
When using jjimjilbangs, it is essential to use a bathhouse. After taking a shower in a wooden bath, you can enter the sauna wearing jjimjilbang clothes. The average price range is ₩7,000 to ₩10,000. There is a sleeping room in the sauna, where you can sleep well. You may be embarrassed by the Korean culture of public bath, but it will also be a good experience. The jjimjilbang operates 24 hours a day and has no reservation system.
- 1 Megasparand bulgamauna (메가 스파랜드 불가마 사우나), 81, Songwon-ro, Jangan-gu, ☏ . Friendly staff and a nice view from the roof. ₩7000 a week, ₩8000 at night, a gown fee of ₩1000.
- 2 Geumgangsan Sauna (금강산 사우나), 45, Songjeong-ro 76beon-gil, Jangan-gu, ☏ . ₩7000 for baths and ₩1,000 for steaming clothes..
- 3 Life Sports Suwon (라이프스포츠수원), 19, Daepyeong-ro 90beon-gil, Jangan-gu, ☏ . Adults (14-) ₩18,000, children (24 months-13) ₩15,000.
- 4 DongHo SpaLand (동호스파랜드), 128, Daepyeong-ro, Jangan-gu, fax: .
- 5 Hwacheong jijjimjilmag (화청지찜질막), 916, Jeongjo-ro, Jangan-gu, ☏ .
- 6 Hyundai Jewelry Bulgama Sauna (현대보석불가마사우나), 248, Geumho-ro, Gwonseon-gu, ☏ .
- 7 Suwon-onsugol-oncheon (수원온수골온천), 232, Dongsuwon-ro, Gwonseon-gu, ☏ . ₩8,000 adults (7+ years old), ₩6,000 children (1-6), ₩7,000 seniors (65 and over).
- 8 Sparex sauna (스파렉스사우나), 1569, Bongyeong-ro, Yeongtong-gu, ☏ . Weekly: adults ₩8,000, children ₩6,000; nightly: adults ₩10,000, children ₩7000.
- 9 Sparex Sauna Shinyoung Tongshop (스파렉스사우나 신영통점), 103, Yeongtong-ro, Yeongtong-gu, ☏ . ₩8,000 for bath, week ₩1,000 (plus charge), night ₩2,000 (plus charge).
- 10 Hyuaenseupa (휴앤스파), 177, Jungbu-daero, Paldal-gu, ☏ .
Suwon is not a tourist destination. There are few guest houses, and the facilities are not good.
- 11 SB House (에스비하우스), 154, Sinwon-ro, Yeongtong-gu, ☏ . There is a daily change in price, so please check it out at the homepage.
- 12 Hwaseong Gesthouse (화성게스트하우스), 11, Jeongjo-ro 801beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . ₩15,000 per person in the domicile room, ₩35,000 for the W room, ₩45,000 for the four-person room, and ₩100,000 for the 10-person room..
There are many hotels in Suwon. The distribution ranges from expensive hotels to cheap ones.
- 13 Novotel Ambassador Suwon (노보텔 앰배서더 수원), 902, Deogyeong-daero, Paldal-gu, ☏ . The hotel is 2 km from Suwon. You can travel to major tourist attractions in the city by using the nearest subway station. It is convenient to travel from hotel to popular tourist attractions such as Suwon Hyanggyo and Suwon Hwaseong. In your spare time, you can spend a good time with various leisure facilities in the hotel. The hotel has been selected as an excellent hotel in cleanliness and is recommended for travelers who want a clean and pleasant rest.
- 14 Suwon Velaswit Hotel (수원 벨라스위트호텔), 18-23, Gwongwang-ro 180beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . The hotel is about 3km from Suwon, and is very convenient because it is relatively close. You can use the nearby Suwon City Hall Station to view the main tourist attractions of your travel destination. The hotel is about 3 km away from Suwon Hwaseong area and 2 km away from Suwon Hyanggyo area. In your spare time, you can use various hotel facilities. Free parking at the hotel is available. The hotel offers the highest level of service selected by many travelers.
- 15 Ibis Ambassador Suwon (이비스 앰배서더 수원), 132, Gwongwang-ro, Paldal-gu (in Ingye-dong, the center of Suwon), ☏ . 240 rooms, free high-speed Wi-Fi, international buffet restaurants, fitness centers and hot tubs, banquet facilities for wedding meetings and events, and parking lots.
- 16 Amor Hotel (아모르 호텔), 9, Bandal-ro 128beon-gil, Yeongtong-gu, ☏ . The hotel is about 6 km away from Suwon. The Yeontong Station is nearby. on foot, so you can use transportation conveniently. The hotel is located about 5km away from the Seoul World Cup Stadium (Shanghai World Cup Stadium) area and 3km away from the Wolhwawon area. In your spare time, you can spend a good time with various leisure facilities in the hotel. The hotel has a convenient free parking space. Hotel cleanliness is considered the best in travel destination. This hotel is highly recommended for travelers who value pleasant environment.
- 17 Value Hotel High End (밸류 호텔 하이엔드), 299, Hyowon-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . The hotel is about 3 km away from Suwon. You can use the nearby Suwon City Hall Station to view the main tourist attractions of your travel destination. The hotel is about 2 km away from Suwon Hyanggyo area and 3 km away from Suwon Hwaseong area. The hotel has a free parking space.
- 18 Shilla Stay Dongtan (신라스테이 동탄), 161, Nojak-ro, Hwaseong-si,, ☏ . In the case of the Shilla Stay Dongtan in Hwaseong (Dongtan), there are water fragrance arboretums and gungnisa within 10 minutes of driving. The four-star hotel is 5.7 km from Kyunghee University’s Hyejeong Museum, and 7.3 km away is the Korea Country Club. In addition to recreational facilities such as fitness facilities, other amenities/services such as free wireless Internet and concierge services are available. There is a restaurant for lunch and dinner. This place is famous for its fusion cuisine. Snacks are served at coffee shops/cafes. You can quench your thirst by drinking your favorite drink at the bar/lounge. Breakfast (buffet) is charged from 06:30 to 09:30 on weekdays and from 07:00 to 10:00 on weekends. Typical amenities and services include free wired Internet, 24-hour business centers, and free newspapers in the lobby. Free self-parking is available within the facility. The 286 air-conditioned rooms are also equipped with refrigerators and LCD TVs. The bed is equipped with duck/goose down blankets and premium bedding.
- 19 New Suwon Tourism Hotel (뉴수원관광호텔), 33, Hwaseomun-ro 72beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . The hotel is 4 km away from Suwon.
- 20 Hotel Arte (호텔 아르떼), 37, Ingye-ro 108beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Fitness facilities, free wireless Internet access, restaurant, room service. Breakfast (buffet) is charged from 07:30 to 09:30 on weekdays and 08:00 to 10:00 on weekends. 24-hour business center, 24-hour front desk, and luggage storage. Free parking is available within the facility. The 54 air-conditioned rooms are also equipped with refrigerators. The bed is equipped with duck/ goose down blankets and premium bedding.
- 21 Suwon I.Y. Tourist hotel (아이와이호텔), 27, Gyeongsu-daero 466beon-gil, Paldal-gu, (Ingye-dong), ☏ . Suwon City Hall and KBS Suwon Drama Center are within 10 minutes of walking distance. It is 1.9 km from the hotel to Paldalmun and 2.2 km away from Suwon Hwaseong Fortress. You can enjoy terraces and garden views and access amenities/services such as free wireless Internet. The hotel also has concierge services and TV (public areas). Visit Da Dam for lunch, dinner, and brunch. This restaurant is famous for its Korean cuisine. Snacks are served at coffee shops/cafes. Breakfast (buffet) is available for charge from 07:00 to 09:00 every day.
- 22 Holiday Inn Express Suwon Duty Free Shop (홀리데이인 익스프레스 수원인계점), 116, Ingye-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Holiday Inn Express, in Suwon (Paldal-gu), Suwon Subway Corporation has Suwon City Hall and KBS Suwon Drama Center within 10 minutes of walking distance. The hotel is 1.2 km from the hotel to Hyowon Park, and 1.6km away is Gyeonggi Arts Center. Recreation facilities such as fitness facilities can be used or views can be enjoyed in the garden. The hotel also features free wireless Internet, concierge services and TV (public areas). Enjoy a satisfying meal at a restaurant in Suwon, Holiday Inn Express. You can quench your thirst by drinking your favorite drink at the bar/lounge. Breakfast (buffet) is provided free of charge from 06:30 to 10:00 every day.
Motel (Love Hotel)
- 23 Hash hotel (해시호텔), 72-1, Ganmaesan-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Room ₩30,000 Accommodation ₩45,000.
- 24 Design Hotel Khan (디자인호텔칸), 24, Ganmaesan-ro 71beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . It is a motel designed to enjoy high-profile games in the room. Room ₩25,000 Accommodation ₩45,000.
- 25 Biz Hotel (비즈호텔), 5, Gomae-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Room ₩25,000, Accommodation ₩45,000.
- 26 Suwon Station Hotel A7 (수원역 Hotel A7), 20, Paldal-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Room ₩30,000 Accommodation ₩50,000.
- 27 XYM Hotel Suwon Branch (XYM호텔 수원점), 8, Ganmaesan-ro 56beon-gil, Paldal-gu,, ☏ . Room ₩25,000 Accommodation ₩45,000.
- 28 Page Motel (페이지 모텔), 23-8, Hyanggyo-ro 3beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Room ₩20,000, Accommodation ₩40,000.
- 29 Hotel Yaja Suwon Station (호텔 야자 수원역점), 17-7, Maesan-ro, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Room ₩30,000, Accommodation ₩45,000.
- 30 Hotel moon (호텔 월), 28, Seobu-ro 1934beon-gil, Gwonseon-gu, ☏ . Room 25,000, Accommodation ₩50,000.
- 31 M Motel (M 모텔), 53, Gyeongsu-daero 384beon-gil, Gwonseon-gu, ☏ . Room 25,000, Accommodation ₩45,000.
- 32 Charmant Motel (샤르망호텔), 5-1, Gohwa-ro 9beon-gil, Paldal-gu, ☏ . Room ₩20,000, Accommodation ₩30,000.
- 33 J Hotel Suwon, 8, Paldal-ro, Paldal-gu,, ☏ . Room ₩35,000, Accommodation ₩70,000.
- Yongin and Ansan is connected to Suwon. Yongin also connects to Seoul and other Gyeonggi province cites on railway. If you want to go to other cities, use the subway.
- If you use subway to go other regions, check the railway and refer to the traffic link (Suwon) below.
|Routes through Suwon|
|Yongsan ←||NW SE||→ Seo-daejeon|
|Seoul ← Yongsan ←||NW SE||→ Cheonan|
|Incheon ←||W SE||→ Cheonan|