Incheon is an historically and economically significant place for Koreans. During the Korean War, the city was the site of the Incheon Landing by American forces. Today, it is a metropolitan city with the population of about 2.8 million, politically independent from Seoul. Also, the city serves as a transportation hub by air and sea, with a massive harbor and a major international airport. Several beautiful islands, such as Yeongjong Island and Ganghwa Island, are also within city limits. The status of the area is set to increase as various national projects are in development here. The New Songdo City plan, the most expensive real estate development in Korean history, is in progress. One of the world's tallest twin tower buildings, 151 Incheon tower, is under early construction and Korea's current tallest building, the Northeast Asia Trade Tower, is already finished. It is planning to launch further independent mini-cities for shopping, housing, and education. Added to this real estate development, and will also invite a large number of visitors for the 2014 Incheon Asian Games. Despite these developments, the Songdo area of Incheon is currently unfinished and largely uninhabited, not yet a viable destination for tourists. Travelers are more likely to enjoy the bustling eastern side of Incheon which blurs into the vast expanse of Seoul.
|Daily highs (°C)||3.0||5.7||11.1||16.7||21.5||25.4||28.4||27.6||25.6||20.0||12.7||1.4|
|Nightly lows (°C)||-3.9||-1.6||3.7||8.8||13.2||19.2||22.3||22.1||18.8||12.0||5.8||-5.3|
Korea Meteorological Administration, 2014
Incheon's climate is similar to Seoul.
Incheon International Airport is South Korea's main gateway. The AREX train connects the airport to Gyeyang (20 min), where you can transfer to the Incheon subway line. Alternatively, the limousine bus line (50 min) is always available to go to many places in Incheon, or you can take a taxi (25 min) to get into the city.
The largest operator is now Weidong, but passengers can look at full listings on the port's website (only in Korean). These ferries are similar to miniature cruise lines and provide karaoke rooms, console games, and DVD rentals (private rooms only).
The trip can take as long as 24 hours, so if you have an economy ticket, request a sleeper bunk for a comfortable trip. If they are all taken, however, the only other option for an economy ticket is the sleeping deck where everyone will stay like sardines in a can. Arrive at the terminal 2–3 hours before departure to ensure there is availability for the bunks.
Kyeong-in line called Metropolitan Line 1 links Seoul to Incheon. The line often provides express trains that skip some minor stops between Dong-incheon station and Yongsan station. By using the express trains passengers can save up to 30 minutes depending on where they go and for the same fare.
Incheon Subway 1
- Gyeyang Station
- Gyulhyeon Station
- Bakchon Station
- Imhak Station
- Gyesan Station
- Gyeongin National University of Education Station
- Jakjeon Station
- Galsan Station
- Bupyeong-gu Office Station
- Bupyeong Station
- Bupyeongsamgeori station
- Ganseogogeori station
- Incheon city hall station
- Arts center station
- Incheon bus terminal
- Munhak Sports Complex station
- Seonhak station
- Sinyeonsu station
- Woninjae station
- Dongchun station
- Dongmak station
- Campus town station
- Technopark station
- BIZ zone station
- Incheon national university station
- Central park station
- International Business district station
Incheon subway line 2
In July 2016, a new subway line called Incheon subway line 2 is scheduled to open, which will serve the following stations:
Geondan Oryu, Wanggill, Geondan intersection, Majeon, Wanjeong, Handeul, Geombawi, Gongchon intersection, Seo-gu Office, Gageong, Gageong central market, Seoknam, Western part of Women's center, Incheon gajwa, Gajaeul, juan export complex, Civil park, Seokbawi, Seokchun intersection, Moraenae market, Mansu, Southeast-Office, Incheon grandpark, Unyeon.
Suin subway line
As of summer 2012, a new commuter rail line started operation. The name of this line is Suin line. Currently, the line starts from Oido station in Siheung and terminates Songdo station in Incheon.
- Songdo station
- Yeonsu Station
- Woninjae station
- Namdong induspark station
- Hogupo station
- Incheon nonhyeon station
- Sorae pogu station
From Seoul, there are some express bus routes which mainly exist for commuters.
|Number||Starting point||ending point|
|1000||Seoul Station||Gyeongnam honorsbill|
|1100||Seoul Station||Naho park|
|1200||Seoul Station||Miju bathhouse|
|1300||Seoul Station||Dongmak station|
|1400||Seoul Station||Incheon terminal|
|1500||Seoul Station||Lotte Mart|
Most of them connect Incheon from Seoul station, Shinchon and Gangnam station. For example, route 1400 links Seoul station, shinchon, Hongdae and Bupyeong.
There are several ways to get around in Incheon.
Subway line No.1 and suin line have connected to Seoul and Gyeonggi Province. The subway line passes through many famous places.If you get off the 'Gyeyang station', you can see the Gyeongin Ara Waterway.
For visitors who want to visit more places in Incheon, local bus lines could be another great option. There are currently about 2,000 operating buses; therefore, a visitor can go almost everywhere by using the transportation.
Land and water double use bus
In Ara waterway, there are several 'land and water double use buses'. You can stop by and experience them. It takes about 1 hours and you can look around in Ara Waterway. The hours of operation are AM 11:00 / AM 11:30 / PM 3:30 / PM 5:30 in weekday. On weekends, the hours of operation are from AM 10:00 to PM 18:00. The times between departures are 30 minutes or 1 hour.
There are a number of taxis. Especially, Incheon call taxis are also operated. The phone number is 1577-5588
- Taeung-jon Hall, Chondung-sa Temple (전등사 대웅전). This temple is Korea treasure 178 issue. It was appointed in 1963.
- Incheon government office building (인천도호부청사), Namgu-maesohol road 589. It was the first to be declared a tangible cultural property in Incheon.
- Bupyeong. There are many restaurants, designer shops, and bars, so the district is excellent for both shopping and eating. Visitors may get lost in Bupyeong because of the crowding and traffic; the best area to go to is directly across from the large Bupyeong station building.
- Arts Centre. An arts and entertainment venue located in Guwol-dong (with which it is loosely synonymous). There are several large department stores, cinemas, designer shops, restaurants, and a central square named Rodeo Street. Sporting events are sometimes shown on a screen in the central square. Also, the place has a couple of stadiums for professional baseball and soccer games.
- Chinatown. This is the only official Chinatown in South Korea. Chinatown is full of Chinese restaurants and souvenir shops. Of course, many Chinese people reside there, so Chinese schools are there too. The area is located at the end of Metropolitan Line 1 that directly connects Incheon with Seoul. The main entrance to Chinatown is in front of the Incheon station. The area is very crowded with visitors on weekends, so if you'd like to avoid crowds, go during the week.
- Liberty Park (Jayu park). Liberty Park is located next to Chinatown. For most Incheon citizens, the park is well known for General MacArthur's statue and the memorial of the Centennial Anniversary of U.S.-South Korean relations.
- Independence Memorial Hall. This was built to celebrate Korea's independence from Japan. There are a monument of General MacArthur and several other statues that symbolize the country's independence.
- Songdo International City. This is a multi-billion dollar planned city where Korea's tallest building, the North Asia Trade Tower, is located. In addition, the world's tallest twin tower buildings, 151 Incheon Tower, are in the early stage of construction. As part of the Free Economic Zone, Songdo represents the bright future of Incheon. This area is still very much in development, however, and not currently recommended for visitors.
- Incheon Islands. There are several islands accessible by ferries. Most islands provide comfortable environments with fresh air and various cuisines that allow visitors to stay away from city life for a while. Also, the islands have great hiking roads and beaches. Here are several islands people can easily visit: Daecheongdo, Yeonpyeongdo, Ganghwado, Yeongjongdo, Muuido, and Deokjeokdo.
- Wolmido. Wolmido was a major harbor in Incheon until Yeonan Budu was developed. However, visitors can still do many things in Wolmido. There is a small park, surrounded by a nature walk road. There are also many seafood restaurants and cafes with a great ocean view. What is more, a small harbor that can bring visitors to several islands is still operating. The most famous place is an amusement park popular with locals. People call Wolmido's pirate ship ride the scariest in the Korea, because the seat belts are loose. However, there are no known actual safety problems with this ride.
- Incheon Munhak Stadium, 482 munhak-dong, Nam-gu, ☎ .
- Go to the hot place in Guwol-dong. If you go, you can enjoy the nightlife. It has many delicious restaurants and pubs.
- Incheon culture & arts center (인천문화예술회관), 1408 Guwol-dong, Namdong-gu, ☎ . The Incheon Culture & Arts Center has served as the home of culture and the arts in Incheon.
- haughty cat (도도한 고양이), Rodeo Plaza 5th floor 1463-2 Guwol-dong, Namdong-gu, ☎ . It is a pet cat café that you can drink some coffee and enjoy with cats. All beverages: 8,000won.
- Fairy-tale town (동화마을), Songwol-dong 3-ga, Jung-gu. This town is designed to show like fairy tales.
- G tower, Songdo-dong, Yeonsu-gu. This tower rises to a height of over 30 meters. It is a great building to see all of Songdo at a glance.
- Central Park, Songdo-dong, Yeonsu-gu. This park is an ideal place for a walk.
- NCcube Canal Walk, Canal Walk 17-1 Songdo-dong, Yeonsu-gu, ☎ . It is a good place for shopping. It's called Venice in Incheon.
There are several movie theaters in Incheon. Big multiplex movie theater chains, such as CGV, Lotte Cinema and Megabox, are represented in Incheon and show movies of various genres.
- CGV Incheon, 4th floor, SEE&SEEE, 1130 Guwol-dong, Namdong-gu, ☎ 1544-1122. 14 screens and 3390 of seating capacity
- CGV Incheon terminal, 15 Gwangyo-dong, Nam-gu, ☎ 1544-1122. 4 screens and 516 of seating capacity
- CGV Bupyeong, 489, Majang-ro, Bupyeong-gu, ☎ 1544-1122. 10 screens and 1464 of seating capacity
- Lotte Cinema Incheon, 7th floor, Lotte department store, 1455 Guwol-dong, Namdong-gu, ☎ 1544-8855. 9 screens and 1341 of seating capacity
- Megabox Yeonsu, 106, Beotkkot-ro, Yeonsu-gu, ☎ 1544-0070. 9 screens and 1650 of seating capacity
In Incheon, there are a large number of quality restaurants, but do not expect the staff to be able to speak English.
Bupyeong and Guwol-dong Rodeo Street are two main areas for food and drink. A variety of genres are available. Korean food generally offers a delightful and exciting experience. If someone is not familiar with Korean food, there are also many American and Italian restaurants which could be a safe bet for foreign visitors.
- Guwol-dong Rodeo Street.
- Chinatown. This has been a very popular place, especially for Chinese food. In fact, many Chinese restaurants in Chinatown are owned by Chinese; therefore, both languages, Korean and Chinese, will be available to make an order for authentic Chinese cuisine.
- SongDo. This neighborhood also has many great restaurants, especially Korean and Japanese ones. Famous restaurants include Kyungbokung, Nagoya and Sapporo. There are also a variety of bars in the area where people meet.
- Original Sinpo sweet and sour chicken (원조 신포닭강정), 1-12 Sinpo-dong, Jung-gu, ☎ . This restaurant serves sweet and sour chicken. The sweet and sour chicken is a thing for which Incheon is famous.
- Samgang Seolleongtang (삼강설렁탕), 95-8 Gyeong-dong, Jung-gu, ☎ . This restaurant serves seolleongtang. (Seolleongtang is a stock soup of bone and stew meat.) This restaurant boasts of a tradition that goes back 60 years. Seolleongtang: 6,000won.
- Japanese Bistro (작은식당), Hyundai Hillstate Apt.402 No. 110, 21-60 Songdo-dong, Yeonsu-gu, ☎ . This restaurant serves Japanese food. The Pork Cutlet with Mozzarella Cheese is a thing for which Songdo is famous. Set Menu with Pork Cutlet with Mozzarella Cheese: 11,000won, Set Menu with Pork Cutlet: 8,000won, Buckwheat Soba Noodles: 6,000won, Udon: 6,000won.
- Teru (테루), 107, Art center-daero, Yeonsu-gu, ☎ . everyday 11:00~22:00. This restaurant serves Japanese food. The Cheese fondue pork cutlet is a thing for which Songdo is famous. Cheese fondue pork cutlet: 9,900won, Triple cheese pork cutlet: 8,900won, Set Menu with soba Noodles: 7,900won, Croquette : 1,500won.
- Dokyo Panya (도쿄팡야), 194, Central-ro, Yeonsu-gu, ☎ . everyday 10:00~22:00. This is a bakery. This bakery's breads cost more, but they are also more delicious and healthy than other bakeries' breads.
- Sushiway (스시웨이), 232, Central-ro, Yeonsu-gu, ☎ . everyday 11:30~22:00. This restaurant serves Japanese food. It is famous for fresh sushi.
- Cheap Shots, Bupyeong, ☎ . Closed Monday. Opens at 6 Tuesday through Sunday. A fairly new foreigner-owned bar with weekly trivia nights and other events. Owner Tommy is very friendly and also makes good food.
- N's Pub, Bupyeong. Small but good atmosphere. Very cheap drinks and beer (but no soju); a recent favorite for both foreigners and Koreans.
- The Shine, Bupyeong. A high-class atmosphere for budget prices, The Shine is a traditional bar in that you have to buy anju (안주, appetizer or meal) with your drinks, but the food is quite good. Drinks are reasonably priced and beer can be purchased in towering dispensers which shoot dry ice through a tube and out a chimney on top.
- Mad Max, Yeonsu Dong. Western Style bar, serves a good rum & coke.
- O'Malley's Irish Pub, 1474-3 Guwol-Dong, Namdong-Gu, Incheon, Top Plaza 4th Floor (Across the street from Shinsegae Dept Store, Near Woori Bank), ☎ . A truly western-style pub/sports bar on the outskirts of the lively "Square" in Guwoldong. They have reasonably priced drinks and great western-style-pub-food (burgers, club sandwich, chicken wings, etc.) Great atmosphere and hang out for mostly westerners but Koreans are usually there, as well.
- Chunnyue Sarang (천년의 사랑) (Songdo hilltop hotel street.). Korea's original tea & wine, snack. The master's dress is oriental Korea costume and interior is Oriental culture style.
- Rio's Western Bar, Guwol-Dong Square (Arts Center). Perhaps the only 'Western-style' bar outside of Bupyeong regularly packed with foreigners. The pub is quite well hidden and therefore tends to attract the same local English teachers rather than wandering tourists. Located on the 3rd floor in the same building is the massive (and rather infamous) King Kong Hof, also frequented by Westerners on weekends.
- Goose Goose (Bupyeong). Innocuous enough from the outside, Goose Goose is perhaps the largest and busiest westerner zone in town on a Saturday night. The "pub jukebox" is an open desktop computer running iTunes. Excuse the Canadian's playing Celine Dion. And the Brit obsessed with Adele.
- Who's Bar (Bupyeong). A cosy western bar great for catching up on English football. The owner is a very friendly young fellow who'll offer a free drink to new ESL teachers.
- G7 Pub (Bupyeong). A western-style pub with a stage. Beers are ₩2,500 for 500cc and ₩12,000 for a 3 liters, and they serve excellent fresh kiwi Soju.
- Rock Bar (Bupyeong). Very cheap beer, ₩6,000 for 2 liters.
- Woodstock (Bupyeong). The original Woodstock is small (about 2 dozen seats) but is comfy and has nice bartenders. The newly opened second location (also in Bupyeong) is much bigger.
- Liquor Burger, Incheon, Yeonsugu, Yeonsu2dong, 600-1, Third Floor, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 7pm - 3am. This is Yeonsu dong's go-to for beer, burgers and events. The bar is owned by a very friendly American guy and his Korean wife. They have dart leagues, foosball, trivia nights, live music, movie nights and on-demand music videos for free. It's a small neighborhood, so everyone knows everyone. You'll never go there without seeing a friendly face. Every couple of months they do big events in which they take 40 of the locals on weekend getaways. Great mix of foreigners and Koreans! Drinks from 3,000 won. Food from roughly 5-10,000 won..
- Sheraton Hotel, Yeonsugu Convensia Road 153, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. It is located in songdo international city.
- Oakwood Hotel, Yeonsugu Convensia Road road 165, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is located in songdo international city.
- Central park Hotel, Yeonsugu songdo-dong 38, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. It is located in songdo international city and two buildings(one is hotel and the other is residence)
- Gyeongwonjae ambassador Hotel, Yeonsugu technopark-road 200, ☎ . It is located in songdo international city and it was made by korea traditional style named '한옥'
- Holiday inn Incheon songdo Hotel, Yeonsugu tower-road 251, ☎ . It is located in songdo international city and is nearby Posco engineering&construction building.
- Orakai songdo park-Hotel, Yeonsugu technopark-road 151, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is located in songdo international city and is nearby songdo central park hotel
- Ramada-songdo Hotel, Yeonsugu dongchun 1 dong 812, ☎ 032 832 2000, e-mail: email@example.com. It is located in yeonsugu dongchun-dong
- Yeong-heung resort, wae ry,Ongjin-gun,yeongheung-myeon, ☎ 032 885 1600, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Woosung resort, Nae-ry 724-132,Ongjin-gun,yeongheund-myeon, ☎ 032 882 1235, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Young Jong Sky resort, yongyuseoro 379,Jong-gu, ☎ 032 745 9000.
- Seonjae-do landscape resort, Seonjae-ro 306 31-99,Ongjin-gun,yeongheung-myeon, ☎ 032 885 1739.
In South Korea, the word for a boarding house where three meals a day are provided along with your room is "pension". There are 1,635 pensions around Incheon according to a 'Naver page', including the following:
- IRIS pension (아이리스 펜션) (Yeongheungdo Island), ☎ .
- Summer Aroma pension, Hwado-myeon,Ganghwa-gun, ☎ .
- Nouelbada pension, yeongheung-myeon,ongjin-gun, ☎ .
- Rothem House, Dongmak-ry,Hwado-myeon,Ganghwa-gun, ☎ .
In South Korea, especially in Incheon, There are 39 guest house according to a 'Naver page', including the following:
- Good time guest house, Jungsan-dong Hanra-vivaldi 923 dong, jung-gu, ☎ .
|Routes through Incheon|
|END ←||W E||→ Yongsan → Seoul|
|END ←||W SE||→ Suwon → Cheonan|