Talk:Driving in Iceland
When copywriting, I also made some clarifications, which may or may not be correct. Some more things need clarification, but I was too unsure:
- Car ferries: are those what I call road ferries, considered part of the road? Or does the other not being car ferries mean they don't take cars?
- In Roads main roads are said to be those with one or two digit numbers, and secondary roads those with three, while in Road conditions main roads are said to have one digit and secondary roads two. Which is correct?
- This article said nothing special is needed on public roads in summer, while I have the impression that also F roads are public and Iceland#By car says you must have a special car on F roads, a 4WD not necessarily being enough. This should be checked and described correctly in both places.
- The wording about speed limits for trailers is somewhat ambiguous: is it trailers without brakes weighting more than 750 kg that must not drive more than 60, or is it both trailers without brakes and heavy trailers?
I see there is a long section about driving in Iceland, and most of the content here and there is different. I think all information from there should be included here and the section there cut down to an abstract.
@LPfi: Thanks for going through the article.
- Car ferries are ferries that carry cars. Changed the wording accordingly. Road numbers are not the same on both sides of the ferry ports, so I would think that they are not road ferries.
- Fixed. Roads with one or two digit numbers are main roads.
- Fixed by removing the mention of "nothing special being needed on public roads in the summer". F roads are public and in the commons, yes.
- Fixed by wording that sentance more clearly. The 60km/h speed limit is for trailers which both weigh more than 750 kg and do not have brakes.
@Snaevar, Ibaman: I think what needs to be said about F roads, driving in the Interior etc. should be said in this article. We should link Offroad driving from the section, but there are many differences between F roads in Iceland and driving, say, in the Empty Quarter. There is now a link to the Offroad article from South Iceland#Þórsmörk and some advice here and in the Interior article, probably also elsewhere. I think we should have a separate section here covering everything that is needed. –LPfi (talk) 08:38, 13 August 2021 (UTC)