Talk:Hong Kong/Outlying Islands
This is a really great article! Nicely done...
- Do note that I have spent exactly one day on Lantau and zero on the other islands, so any additions or corrections are more than welcome =) (WT-en) Jpatokal 22:06, 22 May 2004 (EDT)
Split off Lantau?
With HK Disneyland now open and the Tung Chung cablecar/theme village coming next year, it's likely that tourism to Lantau will really start taking off, and Lantau should probably be split off into its own district article. Opinions? (WT-en) Jpatokal 00:15, 12 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- I agree with the split. Even before the arrival of Mickie and crew, Lantau offered an array of (natural) tourist attractions. Go for it - SZ
- I deleted the Spice Island listing in the eat section as it had no description of it and researching the internet I could not find anything on it. I added reviews for the other restaurant listings instead.--(WT-en) MarinaK 21:27, 16 June 2008 (EDT)MarinaK.
The intro blurb for the article
The introduction to this article seems to be wrong. I think most of what we formerly classed as the "outlying islands" are now (quite logically) covered in the New Territories article?--(WT-en) Burmesedays 20:02, 13 August 2011 (EDT)
- Yes, that's true. This article now covers the Islands District  minus Lantau and the airport island. Peng Chau, Cheung Chau and Lamma are the most popular ones. --(WT-en) globe-trotter 20:37, 13 August 2011 (EDT)
Proposal to convert to region
I've always been a bit bothered that all the information about the outlying islands is placed in one article. If a traveler wants to spend a day on Lantau then it is not likely they would (or even could) go to Llama island or any other island on the same day.
My proposal is simply to:
A) Change this article into a 'Region' template B) Move content and individual listings to the correct 'District' articles, each district representing an island. C) The extremely small islands without regular boat connections can be aggregated on their own article page (not this one)
- On reflection, Lantau should not be part of this section at all. Administratively it is actually part of the New Territories, and the WV map on the Hong Kong article actually has it as a separate region which I believe is fine. --Andrewssi2 (talk) 23:14, 10 November 2013 (UTC)
- I went through, removed Lantau and created a couple of island articles. Considering the large number of islands, I feel we should leave the high level descriptions in the region for now. If any island gains some listings then we should create an article for it. Andrewssi2 (talk) 03:24, 14 November 2013 (UTC)