Tamaulipas is a state in Northern Mexico.
The area along the Mexican-US border.
|Sierra Madre |
Mountainous region along the West of the state.
|Gulf Coast |
Tropical region along the coast.
Cultural region beginning at the southern tip of the state.
- 1 Ciudad Victoria – state capital
- 2 Nuevo Laredo
- 3 Matamoros
- 4 La Pesca – fishing town, hence its name
- 5 Reynosa
- 6 Tampico - known for the quality of its seafood and nightlife
Tamaulipas lies between Nuevo León and the Gulf of Mexico in the north of the country. It shares a border with the US state of Texas in the north and the states of San Luis Potosí and Veracruz to the south.
- Presa Vicente Guerrero - This large lake lies about 30 miles northwest of Ciudad Victoria
- Fish - The coast has many "fishing hotels", hotels with their own piers for easy fishing access. The state has a number of lakes as well.
As of April 2011, Tamaulipas has become very unsafe even for Mexicans. The big problem now is the cartel wars (CDG, Z) that are terrifying all Tamaulipas residents. Traveling north to south has become very dangerous.
The San Fernando area (around 100 km from the north) is one dangerous spot these days. In this region was the discovery of an illegal graveyard where they found more than 100 bodies, some of them slaughtered with cruelty by the Z cartel. It is highly recommended not to visit Tamaulipas now. If you really have to, take some measures not to draw attention from drug cartels (no fancy clothes, not too much money, etc).