From Birmingham, head northbound on the M42, leave at J10 and take the A5 into town.
Tamworth is the only railway station in the country to feature a 'crossroad'. There are two separate lines which cross each other at a raised platform. This means that the connections that can be made here are huge. Trains run from the South, Plymouth, Bristol and Penzance, the North, Newcastle, Nottingham and Edinburgh, London, Liverpool, Crewe directly and Manchester with one connection. Birmingham New Street station is only one stop away with the service operated by Cross Country Trains.
The nearest airports are Birmingham International BHX (17 miles) and East Midlands EMA (27 miles). To reach Tamworth from Birmingham International head straight for the M42 Northbound and head north till Junction 10. From East Midlands follow signs for the A42, then continue southbound until it becomes the M42. Again leave at Junction 10 and use the A5 for the town centre.
Tamworth's town centre isn't very widespread, so you can easily get around by foot. Heading outside of the town centre, there are regular buses that go out across the area.
Tamworth castle & pleasure grounds is within walking distance of the town centre and is well worth a visit.
- If you are into ten pin bowling, the Strikers Bowl is just on the edge of the town centre. From the town centre, you can walk there through the castle grounds in around ten minutes.
- There is also an 18 hole golf course located in Amington - from the town centre, take the B5000 and follow the signposts.
- The world famous golf course [dead link]The Belfry. is also located nearby follow signs for Fazeley and Drayton Manor Park and then The Belfry.
- Tamworth Castle. has a history ranging back to Saxon times when the town was the capital of Mercia. It is at the centre of many theories about the history of The Staffordshire Hoard, the largest collection of Saxon treasure ever discovered, about 5 miles to the north.
- Drayton Manor Theme Park. , home of 'Thomas Land' among many other attractions and roller-coasters, is just on the outskirts of the town. From the town centre, head for Fazeley. The park itself is on the A4091.
- Kingsbury Water Park. is a large flooded quarry forming numerous large boating, fishing and recreational lakes and field areas. Children's playgrounds and activities are available as well as a visitor centre and coffee shop.It is situated on the A4097, around 7 miles south of Tamworth.
- If you fancy a game of snooker why not try Cue Sports its located down Victoria Road; from the town centre head towards the railway station it's on your right.
- Snow Dome Tamworth, Leisure Island, River Drive (5 minutes from junction 10 of the M42 or M6 toll road), ☎ . Ski & snowboard year round! Ideal for off-season practise or fantastic family day out
The best place in Tamworth for a bit of shopping is Ventura Retail Park not far from the town centre. It has a range of retail outlets such as John Lewis (At Home), M&S, WHSmith, Matalan, Toys R Us, Currys, Focus, Halfords, Hobbycraft, Blacks, Boots, JJB Sports, Sainsburys & Asda WalMart.
- Urban Fashion (Modrophenia.com), 81 Bolebridge Street, ☎ . 9.30-5.30. Urban Fashion is a trendy clothes shop in Tamworth town centre. It is also the home of Modrophenia.com, a specialist mod & retro clothing website. Well worth a visit
Tamworth has a few restaurants in the town centre.
- Pastiche Bistro, Silver Street. They serve good international food.
- Portobello, Italian, Silver Street
- Jalali, Indian, Aldergate
- Most of the pubs in town also serve good food.
- McDonalds & KFC fast food restaurants can be found in Ventura Park.
- Asda,Sainsburys,M & S & John Lewis At Home have cafes for people to eat whilst out shopping.
Tamworth has many pubs in and around the town centre, some are listed below.
- The Market Vaults, George Street with rear beer garden
- The Bole Bridge (Wetherspoons) in Bolebridge is good for cheap drinks and rotating guest ales.
- The Tavern In The Town, Corporation Street - Often with Live Music, Blues & Rock
- The Sir Robert Peel, Lower Gungate sometimes has guest ales.
- Yate's, Lower Gungate
- The Boot, Lichfield Street
- The Three Tuns, Lichfield Street
- The White Lion, Lichfield Street
- The Globe, Gungate
- The Old Stone Cross, Church Street
- The Silk Kite, Church Street
- Ramada Tamworth, Junction 11 M42, ☎ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Comfortable hotel just outside Tamworth town centre with Reuben's Restaurant & Bar. Ideal for business guests with free wifi and easy access to motorway network. Very family friendly with excellent value packages including entry to Drayton Manor & Thomas Land, Conkers, Twycross Zoo and National Space Centre.
- Premier Inn Tamworth Central, Bonehill Road B78 3HQ, ☎ .