- Not to be confused with Tegel airport which serves Berlin.
Tegal is the home of the ubiquitous warteg eating places across Indonesia (from Warung Tegal), known for their low prices.
Tegal is on the North Coast Route trunk road (Jalur Pantura). From the west, a tolled motorway connects Jakarta, 275 km (171 mi), and Cirebon, 75 km (47 mi), with Tegal. The toll ends at Tegal's western outskirts. To the east, the trunk road continues to the provincial capital Semarang, 160 km (99 mi).
- 1 Tegal railway station (in the center of the city). The station serves about 15 trains per day from Jakarta, and a similar number from Semarang (many of them originating in East Java). There are also three trains a day from Purwokerto, and one from Bandung (via Cikampek).
- 2 Tegal bus terminal.
- 1 Pacific Mall, Jl Kapten Sudibyo.
- 2 Rita Supermall, Jl Kolonel Sugiono No. 155.
- 3 Transmart Tegal, Jl Kolonel Sugiono No. 546.
- 1 Sate Batibul Bang Awi, Jl Raya Ujung Rusi 11, Adiwerna, ☏ . daily 09:00-23:00. This is goat satay made from kids under three months old (the name batibul is from di bawah tiga bulan = below three months), a speciality of Tegal.
- Nasi Lengko (Lengko Rice)
- Sate Gombyang (Gombyang Satay)
- Tahu Aci (Fried flour-filled tofu)
- Tahu Pletok (Fried flour-filled tofu)
- Sate Loso (Buffalo Satay)
- Sauto is soto, the widely available clear broth soup, but with the addition of fermented soybeans (tauco) giving a delicious umami hit. Widely available.
- Nasi Bogana
- Swike (Frogs' legs)
- Pepes Telor Kodok
Tegal is famous for tea served in a small earthenware teapot (hence its name Teh Poci or teapot tea), with little earthenware cups to drink it from. Normally strong, and served with a lump of rock sugar so big that it barely fits into the cup. Widely available.
- 1 Bahari Inn Hotel, Jl Dr. Wahidin Sudirohusodo No.1, ☏ .
- 2 Karlita Hotel, Jl Brigjen Katamso No.31, ☏ .
- Cirebon — the 'city of shrimps', a city about 80 km (50 mi) to the west.
|Routes through Tegal|
|Anyer ← Cirebon ←||W E||→ Pekalongan → Panarukan|