Teignmouth is a coastal town in South Devon. It is situated on the north bank of the estuary mouth of the River Teign in an area of the South Devon coast that is famed for its red sandstone cliffs. It has a population of approx 14,000.
In 1690, it was the last place in England to be invaded by a foreign power, when a contingent of the French fleet anchored of Torbay attacked the town. The town grew from a fishing port associated with the Newfoundland cod industry to a fashionable resort of some note in Georgian times, with further expansion after the opening of the South Devon Railway in 1846.
Today, its port still operates and the town remains a popular seaside holiday location.
- From the north there is the B3192 which is off the A380 (Telegraph Hill) which is a winding route going through the mostly forested areas. These are particularly colourful in the autumn.
- From the east the A370 from Exeter takes a longer and more scenic route along the Exe estuary going through Kenton, Starcross and Dawlish.
- From the west the A381, again off the A380, at Kingsteington has some panoramic views up the Teign Estuary towards Teignmouth.
- From the south the B3199 from Torquay via Shaldon (which is situated on the opposite bank of the Teign estuary overlooking Teignmouth).
1 Teignmouth station is located near the centre of town on the line from London Paddington to Penzance in Cornwall. Alternatively it is on the Riviera Line serving Exeter, Starcross, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Torre, Torquay and Paignton.
Teignmouth station is served by Crosscountry and Great Western Railway trains. The journey from Exeter is famous for its beauty as it hugs the red sandstone cliffs with great views out to open sea. It is worth getting the train to Exeter just for the journey.
Most of Teignmouth can easily be reached by foot. Taxis can be found near the train station. Buses leave from the centre of town for Exeter, Torquay and Newton Abbot.
The beach and promenade stretch the entire length of the town and there is a Victorian pier and promenade.
There is a children's play area and mini golf on the grass area by the beach front called 'The Den'.
- 1 Teignmouth & Shaldon Museum, 29 French St, TQ14 8ST, ☏ . Small museum showing history of Teignmouth and Shaldon.
- 2 Teignmouth Arts Action Group Centre (TAAG Centre), 4/5 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8DD, ☏ . Daily 10AM-5PM. Community Arts Centre with gallery showing local artists. Also workshops and courses available (booking required, fees variable). Free.
The South West Coast Path, which passes through the town, is a great way to see the coast in this part of Devon.
- 1 Pavilions Theatre (formerly Carlton Theatre), Den Crescent, TQ14 8BG, ☏ . Contemporary performing arts centre featuring diverse live shows, films & a cafe/bar.
- 2 Teignmouth Lido, Eastcliff Walk, TQ14 8TA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Good-sized outdoor heated swimming pool near seafront with lawns for sunbathing and refreshments. Qualified lifeguards on duty at all times. Children under 4 go free. Reduced rates after 2PM. Adult £4.80, Children £2.60.
- 3 Teignmouth Golf Club, Haldon Moor, TQ14 9NY, ☏ . 10am - 6pm.
- Fishing - There is some excellent sea fishing to be had from Teignmouth, indeed it is famed for its flounder fishing. There is also a chance of bass, mackerel and there is some good game fishing to be had with both salmon and seatrout running up the river Teign.
- 4 Teign Diving Centre, Quay Rd, TQ14 8ER, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 9AM-5:30PM, Su 10AM-4PM.
Every summer Teignmouth hosts a folk festival, jazz festival and carnival.
- 1 The Colosseum, 15 Regent Street, TQ14 8SJ, ☏ . M-Sa 6:30PM-9:30PM; Lunch bookings only Sunday: Pre-bookings minimum 8 people. Intimate restaurant for traditional Italian dishes, plus a monthly Sunday brunch with live music.
- 2 The Owl and Pussycat, 3 Teign Street, TQ14 8EA, ☏ . M-F: Lunch 10AM-2:30PM, Dinner 6PM-9:30PM; Sa: Lunch 10AM-2:30PM, Dinner 6PM-10PM; Su: (bookings essential) Lunch noon-3PM Dinner 6PM-9:30PM. Courtyard garden.
- 3 Naz Indian Cuisine, 9 Somerset Place, TQ14 8EN, ☏ . Smart and simple curry house with a menu of classic dishes and all-you-can-eat buffet evenings.
- 4 Twenty Six Cafe, 26 Regent Street, TQ14 8SJ, ☏ . Daily 9AM-5:30PM plus F and Sa evenings. Award-winning cafe and bistro serving French and international cuisine.
- 5 The Jolly Good Fish Cafe, 6 Teign St, TQ14 8EA, ☏ . 11:00AM-10PM. Good fish and chips cafe.
- 6 Teign Indian Cuisine, 47 Teign Street, TQ14 8E, ☏ . 6PM-11PM, F and Sa booking is advisable. Indian dishes. Vegitarian meals are available.
- 7 Seaview Diner (Sea view Diner), 32 Regent St, TQ14 8SJ, ☏ . 8AM-PM. Cosy cafe with low prices
- 8 Finley Brown's Cafe, Charlton Court 24 Bank Street, TQ14 8FN, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 8:30AM-4PM. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals are available.
- 9 Trade Winds, 12 Station Road, TQ14 8PE, ☏ . 10AM-midnight. Mediterranean, greek cuisines, also serves vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals.
- 1 Ship Inn, Queen St, Back Beach, TQ14 8BY, ☏ . M-Th: 11AM-11PM, F-Sa: 11AM-midnight, Su: noon-11PM. Good pub looking over the back beach. Outside seating. Great to see the sunset. Serves food.
- 2 Brass Monkey, Hollands Rd, TQ14 8SR, ☏ . 11AM-midnight.
- 1 Brunswick House, 5 Brunswick St, TQ14 8AE, ☏ . Check-in: 2:30PM, unless otherwise arranged, check-out: 10AM. This guest house has single, double, large double and triple rooms. Each of them has a bathroom with power showers, TV and DVD-player, tea/coffee facilities. An iron, hairdryer and trouser press by request. Breakfast is included (vegetarian and other dietary requirements are available). For non-smoking guests. Staff speaks Scandinavian languages. £39-89 per night.
- 2 Seaway, 27 Northumberland Place, TQ14 8BU, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM. Guest house Seaway offers 5 rooms. Each of them has shower cabin (2 rooms has a bath and shower) tea/coffee facilities and hairdryer. An iron are available by request. Dogs are allowed in some rooms for additional £5 per night. Breakfast is included (vegetarian and other dietary requirements are available). £43-100/1 night; £38-90 per more than 2 days; £240-565 per week..
- 3 Teign Court, 10 Courtenay Place, TQ14 8AY, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel has 6 apartments that rated for 1-4 guests, including children over six. All has TV, private shower facilities and kitchen with fridge, cooker and microwave. Well behaved dogs are welcome in selected flats at no additional charge. Prices higher in the summer. Also you can use one parking spot and Wi-Fi. £245-485 per week.
- 4 The Thornhill, Mere Lane, TQ14 8TA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Licenced 3-star Georgian hotel located on the town's seafront. It has 10 rooms (single, double and family). Accommodations: parking, TV, tea and coffee maker, hair dryer, free Wi-Fi. Breakfast is included. £50-105/night.
- 5 [dead link] Cliffden Hotel, 20 Dawlish Rd, TQ14 8BL, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 4-10PM, check-out: 7:30-11AM. This hotel has single, club and family rooms. All Rooms are Non-smoking. Each of them has tea and coffee maker, hairdryer, dog beds, good lighting (additional lighting is available), talking clock, TV with audio description enabled, DVD and CD Player + library (music, audio books). Hotel accommodation: wake-up calls, daily housekeeping, free parking and Wi-Fi, indoor swimming pool and restaurant. From £75/night.
- 6 The Bay Hotel, 15 Powderham Terrace, TQ14 8BL, ☏ . 17 bedrooms.
- 7 The Minadab Cottage, 60 Teignmouth Road, TQ14 8UT, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 3 types of room. Breakfast is included (vegetarian and other dietary requirements are available). All Rooms are Non-smoking. Dogs are allowed (£20 per dog + some items by request). Also available WiFi Internet and free parking. from £59.99 but minimum 2 nights.
- 8 Riviera Apartments, Mere Lane, TQ14 8TA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM-midnight, check-out: midnight-10AM. Penthouse apartments are located near seashore and has balcony with La Manche view, free Wi-Fi, 2 bathrooms, TV with good audio system, kitchen with facilities, underfloor heating. £165/night.
- Dawlish is a town to the east of Teignmouth.
|Routes through Teignmouth|
|Exeter ← Dawlish ←||N S||→ Torquay → merges with|
|Exeter ← merges with ←||N S||→ Newton Abbot → Paignton|