I'm Rastapopulous. I'm from New York, specifically Brooklyn but nowadays live in Seattle. In college I spent substantial time on Long Island I've also done brief stints in Havana, Middlebury, and a very brief stint in Pittsburgh. The kid of a rather international family (Italian-South African), I started traveling at an early age, but have also been venturing out into the world on my own.
I am the docent for Brooklyn. If you have questions, please leave them on my talk page.
- There's a whole bunch of restaurants I've been to all over the map, and I need to add them to their respective articles
(Personal reminders: Biang!, Cafe at Your Mother-in-Law, Varesichnaya, Pho Grand, Ted's (Steamed Cheeseburgers)) Main Projects
- Getting various articles about Cuba up to shape, starting with Baracoa
- Getting my own hometown of Brooklyn up to shape, particularly the areas around Prospect Park, which I know well, and the Downtown area, which I also know well but not as well as the area around Prospect Park.
- Doing some work on the East End of Long Island
- Improving the New York article, or at least what I can work on: the aforementioned Brooklyn work, plus some stuff in Lower Manhattan.
Where I've Been
I usually define having been to a place as my feet having touched solid ground there (i.e. not in some vehicle or other), however briefly that may be
I have visited the following countries:
- My native USA
- I currently live in Seattle
- I've spent a lot of time Vermont
- I have ventured into New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New Jersey for collegy-type stuff
- Washington DC
- Virginia: Area around DC
- Maryland: Area around DC
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Illinois: Chicago
- California: From San Francisco to LA, with stops in Yosemite, Sequoia National Park, and Fresno, and on to Joshua Tree National Park
- North and South Carolina for the barbecue!
- While traveling on Amtrak from New York to California, I have "visited" West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. My feet touched the ground in all of these but Kentucky.
- On my recent Amtrak trip from New York to Seattle, I went through Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and very briefly Idaho
- Ohio deserves special note as the only state I have visited entirely while asleep. I don't suppose that counts as visiting under traditional definitions?
- My "motherland" Italy
- My other "motherland" South Africa
- San Marino
- The Vatican
- The UK
- Canada (Yes, I am an American living in the Northeast, and I got to Turkmenistan before I ever set foot in Canada)
- Cuba: I got the amazing opportunity to do a semester of study in Havana as an American. I spent 4 months there, longer than anywhere else outside of New York. I also got to go across the Island to Trinidad, Santiago de Cuba, and my personal favorite Baracoa
- North Korea
- Brazil: For less than 24 hours!
- Technically, I was on Paraguayan soil for less than a minute
My favorite places (In no particular order):
- San Francisco
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Granada (even though I was 8 at the time, I still loved it)
- The Kohtla-Jarve Mining Museum
- Cape Town
- Kruger National Park
- Darvaza--Modern wonder of the world, anyone?
So far, they are:
a. Leave the United States and live somewhere else, quite possibly permanently. b. Go on a round the world trip. c. Visit every country in the former USSR.
Regions I am interested in:
- Eastern and Central Europe, especially Russia and the former USSR (one of my goals is to visit every former Soviet state; so far 3/15 completed)
- Central, Southeast, and East Asia
- West and North Africa and the Sahel
- Andean South America
|Babel user information|
|Users by language|