User talk:El baltasar
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
If you are a Wikipedian then you may notice some differences in policies and the style of our articles. These include:
- NPOV → be fair (not quite the same thing!)
- be bold → plunge forward
- Village pump → travellers' pub
- External links → We do not use a separate external links section, but incorporate primary links only into the text itself.
- sandbox → graffiti wall
- stub notes → Article status notes
It may also be very useful for you to check out Wikivoyage:Welcome, Wikipedians. If you need help, take a look at Wikivoyage:Help, or else post a message in the travellers' pub or on my talk page. Thanks for contributing!--ϒpsilon (talk) 13:41, 9 March 2016 (UTC)
Addresses in listings
Hello, and thank you for adding all that content!
One word about listings format: "80331 München" isn't listed in addresses on this site because the reason for inputting addresses, we reason, is for travelers to find the places in question, not for them to snail-mail them. So just the street address, unless you're posting listings for places outside of the city covered by the article.
All the best,
Hello Ikan Kekek,
thank you for the note. That's good to know. As I have briefly thought before adding it: has there been a discussion on whether to include it or not. In the current times, I think postal codes can generally be handy as many navigation systems will find the things more easily. I also know about cities that have used street names ambiguously by having the same street in different boroughs. There it would be a must to add the postal codes in my view, as you could not use a navigation system otherwise.
All the best, Baltasar
- Hello, Baltasar.
- There is an exception for UK postal codes, for the reasons you mention; you can see a brief discussion at Wikivoyage talk:Listings#UK postal codes. However, I definitely recall that there were long discussions of where it did or didn't make sense to include postal codes, and I don't know where that thread is (I would have expected it in Wikivoyage talk:Listings, but it doesn't seem to be there). Perhaps someone else will monitor this discussion and can input a link.
- My suggestion to you is, if you believe German postal codes are useful to someone who wants to find a listing, please start a thread about that at Wikivoyage talk:Listings, as there are precedents for allowing postal codes when they are helpful in locating a place.
- All the best,
- Hello Ikan Kekek,
- I am open to both ways, I just want to know whether it has been discussed as my personal preference would have been the way it is done here now some years ago but has slightly moved to adding them (I was somewhat undecisive). If the general preference is still viable, I would _not_ add them for all German cities but only for Berlin if necessary (up to decide by people who know that city better than me) and - if they at all exist - other cities with ambiguities.
- All the best, Baltasar
Can you make a quick check to see if anything else went missing?
Start here - Special:LintErrors, but having attempted to determine just why three very specfic templates were misbheaving, I've ended up reverting them back to known but broken versions, because the current parser was being 'difficult' about precisely what syntax was necessary to get what was actually wanted.ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 17:21, 24 April 2017 (UTC)