To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
If you are a Wikipedian then you may notice some differences in policies and the style of our articles. These include:
- NPOV → be fair (not quite the same thing!)
- be bold → plunge forward
- Village pump → travellers' pub
- External links → We do not use a separate external links section, but incorporate primary links only into the text itself.
- sandbox → graffiti wall
- stub notes → Article status notes
It may also be very useful for you to check out Wikivoyage:Welcome, Wikipedians. If you need help, take a look at Wikivoyage:Help, or else post a message in the travellers' pub or on my talk page. Thanks for contributing! --Saqib (talk) 14:00, 14 September 2013 (UTC)
Hi, Nbarth, and thanks a lot for adding great content to articles about neighborhoods in the Tokyo area! Unfortunately, there is no consensus to allow links to Wikipedia articles on subjects other than the subject of a Wikivoyage article (e.g., w:Mitaka in the Mitaka article), and only on the left-hand sidebar. I fully understand that all the links you've provided can be helpful to readers, but like Wikipedia, this site operates based on consensus decisions, and in the absence of a new consensus, continues with existing policies, which you can read on the external links policy page.
All the best,
- Hi Ikan,
- Thanks so much for telling me! No problem – I know norms vary between Wiki (WikivoyageIsNotWikipedia; I’m an editor at Wiktionary as well, so I’m well aware of this), and I’m not used to the local norms. Thanks for advising, and I’ll follow this in future.
- Happy edits!
- —Nils von Barth (nbarth) (talk) 13:14, 12 February 2014 (UTC)
- You're welcome, and please do keep editing. You're adding wonderful content!
- All the best,
Inca Trail tour
Hi Nbarth - first, thanks for contributing! Second, I started a discussion at Talk:Inca Trail tour to clarify whether that new article is going to cover different subject matter from the existing Inca Trail article. If you could comment it would be much appreciated. Thanks! -- Ryan • (talk) • 15:39, 20 September 2015 (UTC)