Valdosta is the 10th largest city in the state of Georgia. It is located in Lowndes County, in the state's Plantation Midlands region. The population is about 50,000 people. Valdosta is one of the fastest growing cities in Georgia, where new buildings are always being built somewhere.
Valdosta is located just off I-75, about 15-20 minutes from the Georgia-Florida border, roughly halfway between Atlanta, Georgia and Orlando, Florida. Valdosta can also be reached traveling on US 84, US 41, and US 221.
Valdosta Regional Airport (VLD). The only commercial carrier serving the airport is Delta, from/to Atlanta only.
- Greyhound. Stop is located at 200 N Oak St.
Valdosta has a network of roads that is more or less structured. The major roads are I-75, US 41 (N Valdosta Rd./Inner Perimeter Rd.), US 41 Bus. (Ashley St.), US 84 (Hill Ave.), and Patterson St. Inner Perimeter Road is a bypass around Valdosta. Bemiss Rd. is the main route if you need to go to Moody Air Force Base. Although Valdosta is a medium-sized city, tourism is important, with thousands of visitors visiting the city every year.
|Daily highs (°F)||62||66||72||78||86||90||91||91||87||80||72||64|
|Nightly lows (°F)||39||42||48||53||61||69||71||71||68||57||49||41|
Data from NOAA (1981-2010)
Valdosta has a subtropical humid climate with mild winters, hot summers, and abundant rainfall. Please be aware that Valdosta often suffers from oppressive heat and humidity in the summer, due to the fact that rainfall is most abundant in the summer. In the summer, temperatures easily reach the mid-90s. When the temperature is accompanied by high humidity, the heat index can reach well over 105. If you're not accustomed to the heat, the best times to visit Valdosta is from late September to early May. Otherwise, wear sunscreen, and a hat. Bug spray is also necessary, as gnats can be a problem in the summer. Temperatures can reach 90 degrees as early as May, and as late as September.
- 1 Lowndes County Historical Museum, 305 West Central Ave, ☎ . M-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-2PM. Displays the heritage of Valdosta and Lowndes County. Maintained by the Historical Society of Lowndes County. Free.
- 'Dosta Playhouse, 122 N. Ashley St, ☎ . Featuring various performances throughout the year by Theatre Guild Valdosta.
- 2 Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts, 527 North Patterson St, ☎ . Tuesday - Thursday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm Friday & Saturday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm.. Features four galleries with rotating exhibits along with a permanent gallery featuring East African art.
- Valdosta State University Fine Arts Gallery, ☎ .
- Valdosta State University Theatre, +1 229 333-2149. Productions featured September through May.
- The Crescent at Valdosta Garden Center, 904 North Patterson St (Corner of Gordon St), ☎ . Monday-Friday 2 PM-5 PM. Historic home
- Wild Adventures. Family-friendly theme park and zoo.
- Splash Island, Water park connected to Wild Adventures. A good place to go to cool off during the intensely hot summers.
- Stone Creek golfcourse, 4300 Coleman Road North, ☎ .
- Kinderlou Forest Golf Club, 3374 US Highway 84 W, ☎ .
- Morven Music Hall, +1 229 775-2181. Sa 5PM-11PM. Live music, dancing. No smoking, no alcohol.
- Watkins Music Hall, Mt Zion Road near Rocky Ford Road, +1 229 242-2169. Sa 6PM-11PM. Live music.
- Go to church.
- Theatre Guild Valdosta. Community theater in Valdosta. TGV produces four shows per season, plus two childrens' show. Located in the 'Dosta Playhouse in downtown Valdosta.
- Grand Bay Wildlife Management Area. There are hiking trails, a 2,000-foot boardwalk and a 54-foot observation tower that overlooks open prairie and a heron rookery. Water lovers enjoy the canoe trail and boating through the Blackgum Swamp.
- Valdosta State University, 1500 N Patterson St, ☎ , toll-free: . There are over 10,000 students enrolled undergraduate and graduate programs. The school also offers retirement classes and other non-traditional classes that might serve an interested visitor.
- Valdosta Mall, 1700 Norman Dr. (Exit 18), ☎ . Shopping center anchored by Sears, JCPenney, and Belk department stores
- Downtown Valdosta, ☎ .
- City Market, 3215A North Oak St Ext, ☎ . Art gallery and shop
- Walmart, 340 Norman Dr, ☎ . 24/7.
- Walmart, 3274 Inner Perimeter Rd, ☎ . 24/7.
- Winn-Dixie, 4036 Bemiss Road (Exit 22; Take US 41 S to Inner Perimeter Rd., turn left, then turn left on Bemiss Rd.), ☎ . 7AM-10PM. Groceries
- Winn-Dixie, 3200 North Ashley St. (Exit 22 - S on US 41), ☎ . 7AM-10PM. Groceries
- Winn-Dixie, 1105 Madison Hwy. (Exit 16; E on US 84, S on Patterson St.), ☎ . 8AM-10PM. Groceries
- Publix, 3330 Inner Perimeter Rd. (Exit 22; S on US 41, turn left on Inner Perimeter Rd.), ☎ . 7AM-10PM. Groceries
- Publix, 1741 Gornto Rd. (Exit 18), ☎ . 7AM-10PM. Groceries
- Target, 1815 Norman Dr. (Exit 18), ☎ . 8AM-10PM. Department store (like Walmart, but more upscale)
- Kohl's, 1511 Baytree Rd. (Exit 18), ☎ . 9AM-10PM. Apparel
- Home Depot, 1825 Norman Dr. (Exit 18), ☎ . 6AM-10PM. Hardware
- Lowe's, 1106 N St. Augustine Rd. (Exit 18), ☎ . 6AM-10PM. Hardware
- Sonny's BBQ, 1701 Norman Dr (Exit 18; Across the street from Valdosta Mall), ☎ . 10:45AM-9:35PM Sun-Thurs; 10:45AM-10:05PM Fri & Sat. Part of the chain located in the Southeast US.
- The Bistro, 132 North Ashley St (Exit 16, Take US 84 E, turn left on Ashley St.), ☎ . 5PM-11PM.
- Mori Japanese Steakhouse, 1709 Norman Dr, ☎ .
- Smok'n Pig, 4228 N Valdosta Rd, ☎ . Sun-Thurs 1100-2200, Fri & Sat 1100-2230. BBQ
- Ole Times Country Buffet, 1193 N St. Augustine Rd (Exit 18), ☎ . 10:30AM-9PM. Southern food buffet
- Masato Japanese Steakhouse, 1337 Baytree Rd (Exit 18), ☎ . Japanese
- Barberitos, 1337 Baytree Rd (Exit 18), ☎ . Mexican-American
- Aligatou Japanese Steakhouse and Seafood, 1922 W Hill Ave (Exit 16), ☎ . Japanese
- Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse, 2913 N Ashley St (Exit 22, Take US 41 S, bear left on Ashley St.), ☎ . Japanese
- Mellow Mushroom, 1526 Baytree Rd (Exit 18), ☎ . 11:00-22:00 Sun-Thurs; 11:00-23:00 Fri & Sat. Pizza $.
- Bleu Cafe, 125 N. Patterson St (Exit 16, Take US 84 E, turn left on Ashley St., turn left on Central Ave., turn left on N. Patterson St.), ☎ . American
- 306 North, 306 N Patterson St. (Exit 16, Take US 84 E, turn left on Ashley St., turn left on Magnolia St., turn left on Patterson St.), ☎ . 11AM-2PM & 5PM-9PM. Upscale
- Giulio's Greek & Italian Restaurant, 105 E. Ann St. (Exit 22, Take US 41 S, bear right on Patterson St., turn left on Ann. St.), ☎ . 5PM-10PM.
- Mom and Dad's, 4143 N. Valdosta Rd. (Exit 22, Take US 41 S), ☎ . 5PM-10PM. Italian
- 1 The Wooden Nickel Pub, 3269 Inner Perimeter Rd. (Exit 22, Take US 41 S, turn left on Inner Perimeter Rd.), ☎ . 11AM-11PM.
- Comfort Inn, 2101 West Hill Ave (Exit 16), ☎ .
- Courtyard by Marriott, 1564 Baytree Rd (Exit 18), toll-free: .
- Days Inn, 1827 West Hill Ave (Exit 16), toll-free: .
- Drury Inn, 1327 N St. Augustine Rd (Exit 18), toll-free: . Built in 2013. A Olive Garden and Fazoli's (fast food Italian-style restaurant) are very close.
- Econo Lodge, 3022 James Rd (Exit 18), ☎ .
- Howard Johnson, 4598 North Valdosta Road (Exit 22), ☎ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Knights Inn, 2110 West Hill Ave (Exit 16), ☎ .
- La Quinta Inn, 1800 Club House Dr (Exit 18), ☎ .
- Motel 6, 2003 West Hill Ave (Exit 16), ☎ .
- Quality Inn At the Mall, 1705 Gornto Rd, Valdosta, GA 31601 (At Valdosta Mall on Exit 18), ☎ .
- Quality Inn South, 1902 West Hill Ave (Exit 16), ☎ .
- Ramada Limited, 2008 West Hill Ave (Exit 16), ☎ .
- Sleep Inn & Suites, 3026 James Rd (Exit 18), ☎ .
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 2 Meeting Place Dr (Exit 16; next to the James H. Rainwater Conference Center), ☎ .
- Briarwood Motel, 1934 Briarwood Rd (Exit 16), toll-free: .
- Best Western Plus Valdosta Hotel & Suites, 4025 Northlake Drive (Exit 22), ☎ .
- The local area code is 229 and is not required for local calls.
Travel in Valdosta is relatively safe, as it is a medium-sized city, but like all cities regardless of their sizes, there will be crime in certain areas so use common sense no matter what.
- WQPW 95.7 the Mix - Pop music
- WAFT Radio 101.1 - Christian music
- WXHT Hot 102.7 - Pop music
- WGLF 104.1 - Classic rock
- Hahira, Georgia. (About 20 minutes North)
- Homerville, Georgia. (About 45 minutes Northeast)
- Lake Park, Georgia. (About 20 minutes South)
- Statenville, Georgia. (About 20 minutes Southeast)
- Monticello, Florida. (About 1 hours Southwest)
- Quitman, Georgia. (About 20 minutes West)
|Routes through Valdosta|
|Macon ← Hahira ←||N S||→ Lake Park → Gainesville|
|Macon ← Hahira ←||N S||→ Lake Park → Lake City|
|Dothan ← Thomasville ←||W E||→ Waycross → Savannah|