La Guaira —formerly Vargas—, is the newest state in Venezuela. Named after Venezuela's first non-military president and doctor José María Vargas, the Estado Vargas is one of the 23 states (estados) into which Venezuela is divided. Located in the north of Venezuela it borders Estado Aragua to the west, estado Miranda to the east, the Caribbean Sea to the north and the Metropolitan District to the south. The main international airport for Caracas is located here on this narrow coastal region.
The state capital is La Guaira. At the end of 1999, the state suffered from massive flooding in which thousands were killed and nearly the entire state was displaced. Locals refer to the incident as "La Tragedia" (the tragedy).
El Litoral or the narrow band of coast between El Avila and the Caribbean Sea is all within the State of Vargas and the location of the best airport hotels.
These beach cities are not well known with visitors but are popular with Caraqueños on weekends.
- La Guaira - historic port district
- Macuto- long history as the favored among the urbanite Caraqueños and most crowded on weekends
- Caraballeda- upscale district with yacht marina
- Naiguatá - surf and cultural festival zone
- Catia La Mar -west of the airport with cheaper hotels that do airport pickup. Marginal neighborhood and beaches