Vihti (Swedish: Vichtis) is a municipality in Uusimaa, some 50 km (31 mi) northwest of Helsinki. Vihti is the northernmost part of the Helsinki region and it has a population of about 29,000 residents (2021).
Archaeologists have found traces of human settlements on lakeshores since the Stone Age. First historical mention of Vihti dates to 1433 at time being a part of Lohja parish. Vihti parish was founded on 1507 when first vicar was appointed and (now ruined) St. Bridget’s Church was built.
Fom 1950 to 2021, Vihti’s population has almost tripled (and Nummela’s population tenfold) due to massive growth of the Helsinki region.
From the traveller's perspective, Vihti can be divided into three areas:
- 1 Nummela is a town and the municipality seat. With the population of 15,000 (2016), it holds roughly half of the municipality's population. Here's where you can find most of the shopping options, restaurants, nightlife, etc.
- 2 Vihti or Vihdin kirkonkylä (the parish village) is a much smaller town, yet more historical and a former municipality seat. It is often abbreviated as Vihti kk. In road signs and bus windows Vihti refers to this particular town, not the municipality as a whole.
- The surrounding rural area (including small settlements like Ojakkala, and Otalampi) has very limited shopping and eating options but some of the top attractions of the area.
Buses to Vihti from Helsinki depart from Kamppi long distance terminal. They charge €9.80 (Nummela) or €11 (Vihti kk), although buying in advance from Matkahuolto or Pohjolan Liikenne website you might find a ticket as low as €3.90. Travelling time is 40 - 65 minutes.
In weekdays there is also a hourly connection bus 275 operated by Taxiline Koskinen to Nummela from Leppävaara, Espoo (stop E1116). Ticket price is €6. Travel time is 35 - 40 minutes.
In weekdays line 375(V) of Tilausliikenne Nikkanen Helsinki Oy has departures between Myyrmäki, Vantaa (stop V1562) and Vihti kk via Otalampi. Ticket price is €4 and travel time 45 minutes.
About 15 daily connections run from Lohja to Nummela. Ticket costs €5.90.
If you come from Pori direction, you can get off the bus at Nummela th stop for Nummela and at Vihti th stop for Vihti kk.
Vihti is in a triangle within three major roads, so getting in by car is easy.
- From Helsinki, take Highway 1 towards Turku, then turn right to Highway 2; 45 km (28 mi)
- From Turku, take Highway 1 towards Helsinki, then turn left to Highway 2; 128 km (80 mi)
- From Tampere, take Highway 3 towards Helsinki, then turn right to Highway 25; 132 km (82 mi)
About 20 daily connections link Nummela and Vihti kk. Full price ticket costs 4.10 € / one-way. Buses to minor settlements are more infrequent, so consult the timetables carefully beforehand. Buses are most frequent on schooldays.
Both urban centers, Nummela and Vihti kk, are itself easily covered by foot. Entire municipality is rather large (approx 550 km²) and the distances between different locations can be too long to walk. For example, the distance between Nummela and Vihti kk is roughly 10 km (6.2 mi).
- 1 Nuuksio National Park (Nuuksion kansallispuisto) (entry from Tervalampi or Veikkola). Nuuksio National Park is a small (at least compared to natural parks in Lapland) but interesting piece of Finnish nature surprisingly close to the buzz of the capital region. Getting there by car is easy, with the public transport you can take an infrequent bus to Tervalampi or frequent bus to Veikkola. From both you still need to cover about 2.5 km (1.6 mi) by foot. Free.
- 2 Pyhän Birgitan kirkon rauniot (Ruins of St Bridget's Church), Kirkkoniementie 1, Vihti kk. A medieval church ruins, unusual, as most of the Finnish churches from that era are either still standing or totally perished. Located on a beautiful cape, with a view to a lake next to it.
- 3 Vihdin museo (Vihti Museum), Kyläaukio 1, Vihti kk, ☏ . A culture historical local museum in the church village.
- 1 Puuhapark, Jussinrinne 1, Ojakkala, ☏ , email@example.com. A theme park. Instead of mechanical rides, it has activities, such as pedal cars, miniature golf and trampolines. Most suitable for kids under 12. €24.
- 2 Vihti Ski Center, Jussinrinne 1, Ojakkala, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M Tu 16:00-21:00, W F 13:00-21:00, Sa Su 10:00-18:00. Including 15 slopes, 10 lifts and 1-km cross-country ski track. €38 (whole day).
- Wuosisatamarkkinat, Vihti kk. Last Saturday of August. Wuosisatamarkkinat (Century Market) attracts more than 15 000 visitors annually to Vihdin kirkonkylä. During the festival, the main street of Vihti kk, Niuhalanraitti is closed to car traffic and is instead scattered with merchants selling more-or-less medieval-themed handicrafts. The stage built on the market square holds free folk music concerts. Entry to the event is free.
- 1 Citymarket, Tuusankaari 1. Hypermarket in Nummela. In the same premises a handful of specialty shops and eating options such as Kotipizza and Subway.
- 2 Prisma, Naaranpajuntie 3, Nummela, ☏ . Another hypermarket in Nummela. Prisma store itself open 24/7. Some specialty shops under the same roof as well as Hesburger fast food and restaurant Invar
- 3 S-Market, Niuhalanraitti 3, Vihti. Supermarket in Vihti.
- 4 K-Supermarket, Kirjavantie 2, Vihti. Another supermarket in Vihti
The vast majority of places of business, including shops, bars, buses and taxis, accept Finnish and foreign credit and debit cards. To withdraw cash euros, there are six ATMs (four in Nummela and two in Vihti kk). However, there are no currency exchanges in Vihti.
- 1 Ismet Vihti, Niuhalanraitti 21, ☏ . Can be described as a premium pizza & kebab place. Slightly more expensive than ordinary pizza joint, too. Also has a branch in Nummela
- 2 Heng Feng, Tuusantie 3, Nummela, ☏ . M–Th 10:30–21:00, F 10:30–22:00, Sa 12:00–22:00, Su 12:00–21:00. Chinese restaurant. Beautifully decorated, large menu. Take-away discount 20%. Also offers all-you-can-eat buffet at lunch time. Mains from €13.
- 3 Hiekkahentunen, Kehätie 1430, Ojakkala (along the Highway 25), ☏ , email@example.com. M–Sa 06:00–17:00.
- 4 Seisakki, Kantatie 25 (in Nummela, along Highway 25), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 24 hr daily.
- 5 Syökerin Tupa, Karkkilantie 8 (in Vihtijärvi; at the intersection of roads 132 and 133), ☏ , email@example.com. Opening: M–F 04:45, Sa 08:00, Su 09:30; Closing every day 21:00 (summer) or 18:00 (winter). A café, kiosk and lunch restaurant.
- 1 Ned Kelly's, Pilkkukuja 1, Nummela, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. F Sa 10:00 - 06:00; other days 10:00 - 05:00. Nice, laid-back atmosphere on weekdays, extremely crowded at Friday & Saturday nights. Wide variety of beers and ciders, pint from a tap is €5.50.
- 2 Pub Pilvenhattara, Tuusantie 3, Nummela, ☏ . F Sa 09:00 - 03:00; other days 09:00-02:00. Live music on most Saturdays. Karaoke on Fridays & Saturdays (if no live music). Admission to live bands €5, otherwise €2.5. Pint 5 €5.
- 1 Oravankolo, ☏ , email@example.com. A modest lakeside cabin for 5 persons, originally a private summer cottage. No running water or electricity (perhaps 12 V DC for light?). Gas cooker. Kitchen utensils and tableware. Mattresses and pillows (bring linen and blankets or sleeping bags). Heat by a wood-heated stove. Includes a sauna in a separate building. Firewood included but may need chopping (axe provided). Leave the cabin as you find it, cleaned and with some ready-made firewood. Key in a locked box. €150/day, varying by season.
- 2 Selli, Linjalankuja 3A, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Built to former police station's premises, hence the name (Selli means "jail"). Rooms equipped with refrigerator, coffee maker and wi-fi connection. Shared kitchen, bathroom and laundry room. Doubles €80.
- 3 Air Hotel, Lentokentätie 5, Nummela, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 14%00, check-out: 12:00. Bit outside of the town center, on the top of the esker. During the summer possibility to fly with the glider, ask the reception for details. Sauna and wi-fi included to the price. €98 double.
- 4 Enä-Seppä, Enätie 45, Ojakkala, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The camp and course center offers good camping, training, meeting and accommodation facilities, tasty food and a soft steam bath in the beach sauna.
Many businesses have Wi-Fi for customers; ask the staff for details. For free Wi-Fi and internet terminals, check the Vihti Public Library. The branches of the library are in Nummela at Pisteenkaari 9 and in Vihti parish village at Nietoinkuja 1.
Vihti has two post offices: Nummela (at the K-Supermarket Nummela premises, Keskikuja 3) and Vihti kk (at the R-kioski, Vaunukuja 1).
- Karkkila, a small town next north along Highway 2
- Helsinki, the capital of Finland
- Hyvinkää, an industrial town and a railway hub.
- Lohja, a town with an interesting mine, with museum, and a beautiful medieval church
- Nurmijärvi, an eastern neighbouring municipality
|Routes through Vihti|
|Pori ← Karkkila ←||NW SE||→ Espoo → Helsinki|
|Hanko ← Lohja ←||SW NE||→ Nurmijärvi → Mäntsälä|