Please suggest banners for display on the main page for upcoming features below. Please use banner dimensions of 1700 x 567, and keep the blurb text to a reasonable length. The images from which you create the banners should be of high quality, and ideally of equal or greater resolution than the banner (to ensure high resolution). For inspiration, take a look in the banner Hall of 'Fame'.
Please upload all banner suggestions locally—to Wikivoyage rather than Commons, and put them in Category:DotM banners. If starting a discussion on a suggested feature that has not been discussed yet below, put the discussion at the bottom of the page underneath a new first-level header, such as
= New York =
When updating the Main Page banners, please update Main Page/Photo credits as well.
Once in situ, suggested banners and their accompanying discussions will be archived.
Our local contributors may have some pictures of the city, and if so, I'd appreciate the input, since I'm not particularly impressed with the selection I've found on Commons. There were many images available but most of them had fewer than 1700px+ across, though I can't say I've been through all of them. #2 is a crop of the same source image as the current pagebanner (unintentionally). --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 16:19, 2 October 2021 (UTC)
- As the goat is the most famous thing in Gavle I feel 4 is the best. Tai123.123 (talk) 05:15, 3 October 2021 (UTC)
- A banner with the infamous goat would be nice, but out of the above my ranking goes 2,3,1. --Ypsilon (talk) 16:40, 2 October 2021 (UTC)
- Added a banner with a snow-covered goat. /Yvwv (talk) 17:26, 2 October 2021 (UTC)
- AWESOME! 4,2,3,1 now. Ypsilon (talk) 18:14, 2 October 2021 (UTC)
- 3, 4, 2 and 1 in that order. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | meta.wikimedia) 23:15, 2 October 2021 (UTC)
- 4, 2, 1, 3 for me. Ikan Kekek (talk) 05:09, 3 October 2021 (UTC)
- 4, 1, 2, 3, per the time of year and the text of the blurb. --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 11:29, 3 October 2021 (UTC)
- 1. 2 seems very low-quality. Ikan Kekek (talk) 19:39, 1 May 2022 (UTC)
- 1 but I have a question. Can we increase the width of the blurb so the title doesn’t take two lines? This might be because I’m on a small screen at the moment but regardless, I think this banner would look better with a wide text area. --Comment by Selfie City (talk) (contributions) 11:06, 15 May 2022 (UTC)
- #1 is preferrable. The feature is delayed, so we have more time for selection. /Yvwv (talk) 10:56, 31 August 2022 (UTC)
Loop Art Tour
Currently on hold, due to concerns about making a banner, so here are two to fix that. To avoid potential FoP issues with most of the subjects of the tour, I have chosen images of a functional structure mentioned in the article, the BP Bridge, rather than a work of art. AlasdairW (talk) 22:47, 15 May 2022 (UTC)
- I far prefer banner 1 to banner 2, but both are good images. Thank you for taking this approach in the creation of DOTM banners. --Comment by Selfie City (talk) (contributions) 13:22, 6 June 2022 (UTC)
- It's a little overcast, but still a good banner so I support for now. I'll see if I can find something better. --SHB2000 (talk | contribs | meta) 12:03, 19 October 2022 (UTC)
- Which one of 2 or 3 is more representative of weather there? That would influence my ranking of the banners. Ikan Kekek (talk) 03:25, 2 November 2022 (UTC)
I haven't been to South Africa, but Commons has an interesting assortment of pictures in Commons:Category:Roads in South Africa. I have choosen a mixture with National Roads and gravel roads. Take your pick, but more are very welcome.
Banner 1 shows the Bloukrans Bridge.
Banner 2 shows Houwhoek Pass near Botrivier.
Banner 3 shows Calvinia in the Northern Cape
Banner 4 shows Donkey-drawn wagon for visiting Skilpad, Namaqua National Park, Northern Cape.
Banner 5 shows Canola fields in Cape Overberg with Table Mountain in the background.
Banner 6 shows N14 road, near Sprigngbok. Northern Cape
- 5, 6, 3, 2, 4, 1 for me. 5 is spectacular. The blurb is misphrased; I will make a slight edit. Ikan Kekek (talk) 00:03, 12 November 2022 (UTC)
- I made more than a slight edit. Are you all good with this blurb? "As South Africa lacks a good public transport network and many of its attractions are in rural areas, driving is recommended." I didn't like the previous blurb, because "Without a good public transport network and many of South Africa's attractions in rural areas" is at a minimum lacking a "with" before "many." I think I arrived at a more elegant phrasing, but let me know if you disagree. Ikan Kekek (talk) 00:11, 12 November 2022 (UTC)