Amherst is a city of 12,000 people (2018) in the Greater Cleveland area, near the Lake Erie shore. It has been called the Sandstone Center of the World. Its quarries were an important source of grindstones. There were nine sandstone quarries in the area operating at the peak of production. Many early buildings are constructed of native sandstone.
Amherst is 2.5 miles (4 km) south of Lake Erie.
Amherst had a humid continental climate typical of much of the Central United States, with very warm to hot, humid summers and cold winters with moderate snow.
Get in and around
By far the most common mode of transportation to and within Amherst is by car. However the downtown area is walkable. State Route 2 runs west to east through the northern portion of Amherst providing access from downtown Cleveland (25 minutes), its suburbs and Sandusky, Ohio. There are two exit/entrance ramps in the city (Oak Point Road and State Route 58).
The Ohio Turnpike also runs west to east along the City's southern border and there is one (exit/entrance) ramp just south of the city in Amherst Township at State Route 58.
Parts of the city are served by the Lorain County Transit system.
Cleveland Hopkins (CLE) is the nearest international airport; it is approximately 35 minutes east of the city.
- Amherst Historical Society & Sandstone Village, 113 South Lake St, ☏ . Step back into the 1800s.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial of Lorain County, North Lake Street, ☏ .
- Jamie's Flea Market, Rt. 113 (one half mile west of Rt. 58), ☏ .
- Millers Apple Hill, 50549 State Route 113, ☏ .
- Timber Ridge Campground, 51900 Portman Rd, ☏ .
- The Kneaded Touch, 574 North Leavitt Rd, ☏ . Spa.
- Workshop Players, 44820 Middle Ridge Rd, ☏ .
- Single Tree Winery, 12488 Baumhart Rd, ☏ . Nestled in seventeen acres, complete with a tasting room, an upstairs party room, and an outdoor picnic area.
- Art Gallery at Sandstone Village, 767 Milan Ave, ☏ . Contains the work of Neal Jenne, Artist in Residence, as well as the works of many area artists.
- 1 Neiding Park.
- Don Mould's Plantation West (Route 58 & Route 113), ☏ .
- Jefferson 150 Restaurant, 150 Jefferson St, ☏ .
- Days Inn, 934 Leavitt Rd, ☏ .
- Motel 6, 704 North Leavitt Rd, ☏ .
Cedar Point is nearby on 2 West.
|Routes through Amherst|
|Toledo ← Milan ←||W E||→ Elyria → Cleveland/Akron|
|Sandusky ← Vermilion ←||W E||→ Elyria → Cleveland|
|END ← Lorain ←||N S||→ Oberlin → Ashland|