Catawba Island is part of the Ottawa County peninsula. Catawba Island is one of 12 townships that make up Ottawa County, Ohio. It is commonly referred to as Catawba and Catawba Island, although it is no longer an island as the water separating it from the mainland has been diverted. Due to its sheltered bay and inlets, land elevation along the shore with fewer cliffs and easy access to Lake Erie, it has become one of the preferred areas for pleasure boat owners to dock and store their boats. Development was stagnant for years due to lack of sanitary sewer. Once this was improved, Catawba Island Peninsula started to bloom, with all sorts of improvements, condo's, expensive homes, marinas and businesses. It has become a preferred destination for those enjoying Lake Erie waters.
- Lake Erie Shores & Islands Welcome Center-West, Route 53N (Catawba Island Exit just north of Route 2), toll-free: . Free maps, brochures, discount tickets, restrooms.
- 1 Erie-Ottawa International Airport (FAA LID: PCW), 3255 E State Rd, ☏ . A full-service facility with 4,000 sq ft and 5,650 ft crossing runways. Jet A and 100LL fuel is available. Passenger flights to nearby islands available on charter. Courtesy car available.
- 2 Millers Ferries (Catawba Point), toll-free: . To Put-in-Bay, Kelleys Island, Middle Bass Island. Passenger and vehicle ferries. Free Parking.
- Catawba Island State Park (off W. Catawba Rd.).
- West Harbor Public Boat Launch, 1955 NE Catawba Rd.
- Gem Beach Marina, 3000 N Carolina St., ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Winke's Boat Storage, Inc. & Landing, 3072 NE Catawba Rd., ☏ , . Full Service Marina, Storage, & Repair Facility.
- From State Route 2, exit OH 53N and head north to the peninsula.
- From downtown Port Clinton, follow OH 163 east from town, turning left onto Sand Road. Be careful, as the speed limit on this road is 35 mph (56 km/h), and is closely monitored by police.
You can enter Catawba Island from SR 53 exit off of SR 163 or Sand Road off of SR 2. Both meet each other at Catawba Point, in a loop around the peninsula. On land, motorcycles, bicycles, cars, golf carts, walking and running are popular. On the water, about every form of transportation is available for rent.
There is a 4.8 mi (7.7 km) walking/biking paved trail on St Rt 53 North (AKA NE Catawba Rd.).
- 1 African Safari Wildlife Park, 267 S Lightner Rd, ☏ .
- Catawaba Island Historical Society Museum, 5258 E Porter St, ☏ . May-October Mo, We, Th 10AM-4PM.
- Boat-Ski-Jet Ski Rentals
- 1 Catawba Island State Park, 4049 E Moore’s Dock Rd.
- Miller Ferry Catawba Dock. At the end of Route 53 North. Known as Catawba Point. Ferries to Middle and South Bass Island (Put-in-Bay).
- Fishing Charters & Head Boats
- Scuba Diving
- Freedom Boat Club of Catawba Island, ☏ . Each location provides you with a fleet of boats that come with less stress and a lower price tag than owning a single boat. There are no hassles to worry about like cleaning, maintaining, or storing as the dock master does all the prep and post work. There are no costs like dock fees, winterizing, insurance or trailers. Instead you spend your time simply having fun.
- Bergman Orchards (Route 53). Sells peaches, apples, strawberries, sweet corn, melons, tomatoes, pumpkins, baked goods, ice dream, etc.
Catawba Island has an agricultural history as well as a marine history. A lot of land on Catawba Island was dedicated to farming, vineyards, orchards, truck farms and such. Today development is converting much of this land for other uses. In the warmer months, however, you will find no lack of local vegetables and fruits for sale at the road side.
- The Mon Ami Restaurant and Historic Winery, 3845 East Wine Cellar Road, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Great Dining room and Sunday Buffet.
- [dead link] Beach Street Bar & Grille, Gem Beach Marina, 3000 N Carolina Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- [dead link] The Thirsty Pirate, 2940 E. Harbor Rd., ☏ . 32 beers on tap and wide variety of entrees.
- The Catawba Inn, 4112 N Crogan St, ☏ . Hole in the wall bar/restaurant. They have an excellent 1-lb Lake Erie Perch Platter. They have bands Friday/Saturday 7pm to 11pm and Sundays 3pm to 7pm Most Summer weekends.
- Beach Cliff Lodge, ☏ . Located near the tip of Catawba.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, ☏ . Located in the southern part of Catawba.
- OurGuest Inn and Suites-Catawba, ☏ . Located on Sand Rd. just off SR 163.
Catawba Island is like a big playground for kids and adults, with a long shoreline. Things happen. If you are not familiar with small boats, keep in mind they move when you get in and/or least expect it. Make sure you wear or know where your life preserver is as soon as you get into a smaller boat. Lake Erie is a big and wonderful place, some areas like this have extreme traffic on the roads and water, both from commercial and pleasure craft. The Coast Guard is always looking for those who abuse the waterways and will not hesitate to arrest for drinking while operating a watercraft or other infringements. Play safely and no one will bother you.
- Ottawa County Sheriff's Office, 315 Madison Street, ☏ .
- Catawba Island Township Police Department, 4822 East Cemetery Road, ☏ .
- Magruder Hospital, 615 Fulton Street, ☏ .
- 1 Catawba Island Post Office.
- Port Clinton
- Lake Erie Islands - Located west of Cleveland, a group of picturesque and festive islands in Lake Erie are accessible via ferry.
The islands listed below are either in Ottawa County or close to it. Some like Pelee, are in Canada, different fishing license required.
- Hen Island - Property of the Quinnebog Club.
- Green Island Lighthouse.
- Kelleys Island. Tourist destination (Erie County)
- Middle Bass Island. Tourist destination
- North Bass Island. Tourist destination
- Pelee Island. Tourist destination - Canada.
- Rattlesnake Island. Private island owned by a club, membership required
- South Bass Island. The most significant tourist destination containing the town of Put-in-Bay.
- Sugar Island.
- Turtle Island. Privately owned vacation homes
- West Sister Island Wildlife Refuge.
- Pelee Point Ontario, Canada mainland.
|Routes through Catawba Island|
|Fremont ← Port Clinton ←||S N||→ END|