Fremont is a city in Northwest Ohio. It is the county seat of Sandusky County. Although Fremont has a rich, historic history, today many visitors come to Fremont to wade in and fish the Sandusky River. This is especially true at spawning time, when the river and banks are loaded with fishermen and State Wildlife Inspectors. Fremont is a beautiful city, with well maintained residential neighborhoods. Due to the location, it is a destination for those who enjoy Lake Erie and would prefer to be a bit away from the lake front and the little bit faster pace of life.
- SR 20 NW/SE
- SR 53 N/S
If you are trying to access the Sandusky River, the only marina between here and Lake Erie can be accessed by the 1st road south of the turnpike on the east side of the road. There are also three public boat ramps to the North along the river before Sandusky Bay.
Roads are well maintained, driving is easy and pleasurable.
Perfect setting for motorcycle or bike.
No public transportation.
- 1 Hayes Presidential Center, 712 North St. The Nations first Presidential Library. Rutherford B. Hayes, nineteenth president of the United States and Mrs. Hayes are buried on the grounds at Spiegel Grove. There are 26 acres to this, includes home, tomb, Presidential Library and Museum. It is one of those outstanding works, that is worth driving 200-300 miles out of your way to see. Beautiful!!
The Hayes Presidential Center has numerous events throughout the year, including History Mystery and the Hayes Civil War Encampment on the grounds, in early October of each year.
- Fremont Speedway (Sandusky County Fairgrounds), ☎ .
- Plaza Lanes (bowling), 2641 East State St, ☎ .
The Hayes Presidential Library has a very interesting and somewhat unusual gift shop and book store. Time well spent.
- Casa Fiesta, 2455 Hayes Ave, ☎ .
- Toft's Ice Cream Parlor (Potter Village), ☎ .
- Whitacres Restaurant & Lounge, 3422 North State Rt. 53, ☎ .
- The 818 Club, 818 Croghan St, ☎ .
- Brubaker's Acres (1 mile west of SR 53 on SR 12), ☎ .
- Potter's Berry Farm, 2275 North CR 239, ☎ .
- Rimelspach Produce (SR 12 & SR 53), ☎ .
- Rimelspach's Red Barn Country Market, 4148 SR 53 North, ☎ .
Up to the late 1960s, social drinking was quite popular in Ohio and law enforcement mostly looked the other way. Then new laws and testing devices were provided to law officers. Today, they have laws against smoking in public areas that includes bars and clubs. This new regulation and enforcement has taken much out of the bar scene in Ohio, leaving only the unaware or hard core patrons in the taverns. From Fremont north to Lake Erie, drinking while driving or in control of watercraft is enforced like never before. Fines and jail terms are usually mandatory. Still, some taverns have survived and carry-out liquor sales set records. There is no lack of watering holes in this area.
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 840 Sean Dr, ☎ .
- Days Inn, 3710 North SR 53, ☎ .
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 540 East County Rd 89, ☎ .
- Holiday Inn, 3422 North SR 53, ☎ .
- Travelodge, 1750 Cedar St, ☎ .
|Routes through Fremont|
|Toledo ← Perrysburg ←||W E||→ Milan → Cleveland/Akron|
|Bowling Green ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Sandusky → Cleveland|
|Toledo ← Perrysburg ←||W E||→ Norwalk → Cleveland|
|Upper Sandusky ← Tiffin ←||S N||→ Port Clinton → Catawba Island|