Tiffin is a city in Northwest Ohio and part of the United States of America. It is the county seat of Seneca County, a rural county of Ohio. It is also the home to two institutions of higher learning: Tiffin University and Heidelberg University.
Once a bustling industrial city, Tiffin's manufacturing base and population has declined in recent decades. However, Tiffin residents enjoy cultural and educational opportunities unmatched by most small towns thanks to the two colleges that that call Tiffin home.
The city of Tiffin is bisected by the Sandusky River. Just east of the river is the city's downtown area, including city hall and public library. On the western side of the river, on the outskirts of town is the Wal-Mart, shopping mall, and supermarket.
Tiffin itself is seldom a destination for tourists. However, if family or business reasons call you to Tiffin, rest assured you will find activities to fill your time, as well as a friendly small town atmosphere.
- Destination Seneca County (Seneca County Visitor's Bureau), 19 W Market St, Suite C, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
Driving is the only realistic way to get in.
US224 passes through Tiffin.
- 1 Seneca County Airport. A public General aviation airport. No regularly scheduled commercial flights serve Tiffin.
Tiffin is a small town and you can easily walk anywhere in the downtown area or through the older neighborhoods.
Some newer neighborhoods and shopping malls are on the outskirts of town, requiring a car.
Tiffin does have several taxi services available for those who do not drive.
The Mad River Bike Trail goes from the Fairgrounds to Tiffin University near Downtown.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:11PM local time and lasts 4 min. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio, then along the Canada–New England border.
- 1 Tiffin Glass Museum, 25 S Washington St, ☏ . W-Sa noon-4PM. features displays of Tiffin glass including some for sale. Museum employees can explain to you the history of the (now defunct) Tiffin glass works, also known as the "Glass House". Free (Donations appreciated).
- 2 Ritz Theater, 30 S Washington St, ☏ , email@example.com. It was first opened in 1928 in the opulent style of theaters of that era. Renovated in 1998, the theater is now managed as a not for profit and presents a full schedule of acts.
- 3 Seneca County Museum, 28 Clay St, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-5PM.
- 4 American Civil War Museum of Ohio, 217 S Washington Street, ☏ . W-Sa Noon-4PM.
- 5 Heidelberg University (The Berg), 310 E Market St. A private university that was founded in 1850. It has many historic buildings, and hosts college sports including football, baseball, and soccer.
- 6 Tiffin University, 155 Miami St, ☏ . Once an offshoot of Heidelberg, the now independent Tiffin University is known for its school of business.
- 1 Hedges-Boyer Park, 491 Coe St. The main city park. A YMCA with indoor pool is located within the park. The park also has a public outdoor pool, football field, baseball diamonds, disk golf course, playground, and play fields. The park is the site of Tiffin's elaborate 4th of July fireworks display.
- 2 Tiffin Dragons (Paradiso Athletic Complex). The sports team of the University of Tiffin.
- Tiffin Cross Country Carnival. September. Annual high school cross country meetup
- 3 Mercy Community Nature Preserve, 45 St Lawrence Dr.
- Tiffin Glass Company. It was famous for its fancy and ornamental glass. The company and factory went out of business in the early 1980s, however the Tiffin Glass Museum has pieces for sale.
- Ballreich's Potato Chips, toll-free: . The original "marcelled" or ridged chips. The potato chip factory is located in Tiffin. The chips can be bought at any local grocery store or supermarket, where potato chips are sold. They also make nice pretzels.
- Drive-through grocery store. Buying necessities from your car at a drive-through grocery store adds a certain amount of charm and kitsch to your purchases. Amazingly, Tiffin has two such drive-in grocery stores to choose from. Drive on in at 205 S Sandusky Street, +1 419 447-6555. Or head to Robenalt's Point Drive Thru at 201 Clay Street, phone +1 419 448-4261.
- 1 Jolly's, 66 E Market St, ☏ . Sells rootbeer and hot dogs.
- 2 Reino's Pizza, 73 E Market St, ☏ . A traditional pizzeria in downtown Tiffin. Offers custom orders or a buffet.
- 3 Napoli Pizza.
- 4 Fort Ball Pizza Palace, 91 N Washington St, ☏ . Pizza buffet
- 5 Rosie's Soups and Such.
- 6 Paulette's.
- The Pioneer Mill Restaurant, 255 Riverside Dr, ☏ . On the Sandusky river and inside a historic mill. The restaurant serves typical American in an upscale casual setting. One can walk across a footbridge from the mill to a small island on the Sandusky river. Occasionally this site is used for concerts and other events in the summer. Unique tidbit: From the restaurant's lower level, one can look through a portal built into the floor and see part of the electrical-generating waterwheel installed years ago.
- 7 Empire at 138, 138 S Washington St, ☏ . Sells sandwiches, bowls, soups, and salads.
- 1 Phat Cakes & Cafe. Sells cupcakes and beer. Hosts live music.
- 2 Viaduct Bar & Grill.
- 3 The Laird Arcade Brewery (The LAB), 114 S Washington St, ☏ .
- 4 Madison Street Tavern.
- 5 Bear's Inn.
- 6 McGowan's Tavern.
- See also: Hotels
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Mid-range||$75 - $100|
- 1 Tiffin Motel, 315 W Market St, ☏ . Includes Wi-Fi $55.
- Seneca Motel (Twin Pines), 919 E US 224, ☏ . Check-in: anytime, check-out: noon. $40.
- Hampton Inn Tiffin, 2492 S State Route 231, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Includes Wi-Fi, breakfast, fitness center, and an indoor pool. $100.
- 2 Holiday Inn Express, 78 Shaffer Park Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Includes breakfast, Wi-Fi, fitness center, and a heated indoor pool. $150.
Bed and Breakfast
- Fort Ball Bed & Breakfast, 25 Adams St, ☏ .
- Mad River Railroad B & B, 107 W Perry St, ☏ .
- 1 Tiffin-Seneca Public Library, 77 Jefferson St, ☏ , email@example.com. The primary library in Seneca county. Offers public computers with internet access and a fax machine. Free.
- 2 Tiffin Post Office.
|Routes through Tiffin|
|Findlay ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Wadsworth → Akron|
|Kenton ← Upper Sandusky ←||S N||→ Fremont → Port Clinton|