Chatham is at the "elbow" of Cape Cod in Massachusetts, and includes the villages of North Chatham, South Chatham and West Chatham. Its beautiful beaches, harbors, coastal scenes and its interesting village shops make it a popular day-trip destination as well as a top-notch vacation area.
In 2007 Chatham was recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of America’s Dozen Distinctive Destinations.
From Route 6 take Exit 11; go left off the ramp onto Route 137 South; go straight through one set of lights (by car dealership); go straight (actually a right dogleg) at the four way stop at Queen Anne Rd. ( The Corner Store on corner); continue to the Route 28 intersection (the road will end). Turning right (west) will bring you into the South Chatham neighborhood, while turning left (east) will lead you through Chatham's Main Street (the local name for Route 28). Driving straight (or more precisely, left and then an immediate right up a driveway) brings you to Chatham's Tourist Information Center, sponsored by the local chamber of commerce. This is an excellent first stop, as the Center's volunteers can provide local context and suggestions.
Remember that traffic is heavy on summer weekends. If leaving on Sunday, try to avoid mid-day.
- Eldredge Garage Taxi & Limo, 356 Main St., ☎ .
- Capewide Taxi & Livery, 338 Old Harbor Rd, ☎ .
- 1 Chatham Light, 99 Bearses Byway. This lighthouse is situated on the largest beach in Chatham, with clean sand stretching for miles and views of the Atlantic Ocean. You can still see seals from here and the water is safe to swim. Busy parking lot, and the beach overlook has a 30 minute limit.
- 2 Hearle Gallery, 488 Main St, ☎ .
- 3 Munson Gallery, 1455 Main St, ☎ .
- 4 Odell Studio Gallery, 423 Main St, ☎ .
- 5 Struna Galleries, 458 Main St, ☎ . M Tu Th-Sa 11AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM.
- 6 Atwood House Museum (Chatham Historical Society), 347 Stage Harbor Rd, ☎ .
- 7 Godfrey Windmill (Chatham Windmill, historic Chatham Grist Mill), 125 Shattuck Place, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M W F 10AM-3PM Jul-Aug. Built in C1797, the historic Godfrey Windmill was fully restored in 2009-12 so that it can once again grind grain just as it did in the 18th and 19th centuries. The mill is open for guided tours during the summer months. On special Grinding Days, the mill is set in operation and grinds corn. For more information about tour dates and times, special events, and detailed directions, please visit the mill's website. Free, donations welcomed.
- 8 The Railroad Museum, 153 Depot Rd. Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. Free.
Chatham is home to one of the Cape Cod Baseball League teams, the Anglers (formerly A's). CCBL is recognized nationally as one of the best collegiate summer baseball leagues in the country. Every year numerous athletes are drafted by Major League Baseball, and each summer, fans can get acquainted with the future stars at Veterans' Field. If you like baseball, you will love the pure experience of the finest amateur baseball available anywhere.
- Chatham Drama Guild, 134 Crowell Rd, ☎ (General Information), (Box Office).
- Monomoy Theatre, 776 Main St, ☎ (General Information), (Box Office).
- Chatham Charters, 1470 Main St, ☎ . Enjoy a full or half day fishing the waters around Chatham for bluefish or striped bass with Captain Matthew Swenson.
- Monomoy Island Ferry, 1 Wikis Way, ☎ . Provides a 90 minute tour giving an up close and personal look at hundreds of seals on Monomoy Island and the waters surrounding. The tour also includes a walking tour of the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge along the entire west side of the Monomoy Islands to take a look at the Monomoy Lighthouse and sightings of white-tailed deers, owls, seals, and other wildlife.
- Outermost Adventures, 83 Seagull Road (Off Morris Island Road, one-half mile south of Chatham Light), ☎ . Shuttles to South Beach and North Monomoy Island. One hour seal watch cruises.
- Stick 'n Rudder Aero Tours, 240 George Ryder Rd (Chatham Airport), ☎ . Rent a biplane (and pilot!) for another way to see the beaches and seals.
- The Annual Hookers Ball, 150 George Ryder Rd. Held on the first Saturday in August. Under the Big White Tent on George Ryder Road, Chatham VFW. The Hookers Ball has grown from a small gathering at a raw bar to a 700 person bash, complete with a live and silent auction, seafood buffet and raw bar, live music, open bars, and dancing! Presented by the Cape Cod Commercial Hook Fishermen's Association.
Main St. Chatham is host to many small and distinctive shops. The best time to visit is late May/early June or September when the crowds have left. There is always plenty of free parking, but make sure to park within the lines because the police are notorious for ticketing naive tourists.
- The Chatham Candy Manor, 484 Main St, ☎ . Homemade fudge.
- Marians Pie Shop, 2022 Main St, ☎ . Chicken pies and pastries.
- Yankee Ingenuity, 525 Main St, ☎ . Wide selection of art prints, clothing, glassware and assorted other items all emblazoned with Cape Cod motifs.
- 1 The Blue Coral, 483 Main St, ☎ . A seafood restaurant that is eclectic, fun, and charming, and very family friendly. If your little one are not fans of seafood, don’t fret, they have a children’s menu (and full drink menu!).
- The Chatham Squire, 487 Main St, ☎ . A great place for fresh seafood and a night out with your friends.
- Corner Store, 1403 Old Queen Anne Rd, ☎ . This is where the locals eat. Breakfast & lunch burritos and amazing panini sandwiches fresh, fast & fun (great prices as well).
- Del Mar Bar & Bistro, 907 Main St, ☎ . A nice restaurant near downtown Chatham with a unique artistic setting. If you're on a budget, the pizzas are an excellent choice.
- The Red Nun Bar & Grill, 746 Main St, ☎ . This is the perfect place to have a drink with your friends because it's never too crowded. $8-$11
- 2 The Impudent Oyster, 15 Chatham Bars Av, ☎ . A fave. Creative menu, and a tad pricey. Convenient to shopping village.
- 3 Chatham Fish & Lobster Co., 1291 Main St, ☎ . 9AM-6PM daily. Great place to enjoy lunch/dinner: lobster rolls, hamburgers, fried seafood, sandwiches/wraps, salads, and daily specials.
- 4 Chatham Pier Fish Market, 45 Barcliff Avenue Extension, ☎ . 10AM-8PM daily in season. Watch fishermen unload your dinner just minutes before it arrives on your plate.
- 1 The Chatham Motel, 1487 Main St, ☎ , toll-free: . Within a mile and a half of town center. A/C, refrigerator, cable. $85-$185 low/high season. Mid-week discounts..
- 2 Chatham Seafarer, 2079 Main St, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . Nice location, nice folks. $85-$200 low/high season.
- The Hawthorne, 196 Shore Rd, ☎ , fax: . Waterfront with private beach. Kitchenette units and motelrooms as well as one private cottage. $185-$225 /night.
- Chatham Highlander, 946 Main St, ☎ , fax: .
- Captain's House Inn, 369 Old Harbor Rd, ☎ , fax: .
- Queen Anne Inn, 70 Queen Anne Rd, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . Variety of rooms. Antique furnishings.
- Old Harbor Inn, 22 Old Harbor Rd, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . 8 rooms
- Chatham Gables Inn, 364 Old Harbor Rd, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Carriage House Inn, 407 Old Harbor Rd, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . 7 rooms.
- Chatham Inn, 359 Main St, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . 18 rooms. $120 -$300 high/low season.
- Chatham Wayside Inn, 512 Main St, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . 56 rooms Top notch.
- Chatham Tides Waterfront Lodging, 394 Pleasant St, ☎ . 24 rooms Top notch.
- Pleasant Bay Village Resort, 1191 Orleans Rd, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . One and two bedroom suites with full kitchens. Heated pool, A/C. AAA Three Diamond.
- Chatham Bars Inn, 297 Shore Rd, ☎ , toll-free: . Year round. One of the top hotels world-wide. AAA Four Diamond. Right on the Atlantic -- beautiful, luxurious and pricey. Choose from hotel rooms and suites, to cottages, to spa suites, and even indulge yourself in one of the hotel's special packages. There is a heated ocean front pool surrounded by cabanas, cushioned lounge chairs, and the hotel's private beach. The hotel also offers offers many activities for the kids.
|Routes through Chatham|
|Wareham ← Harwich ←||W E||→ Orleans → Eastham|