Ciego de Ávila is a city of 120,000 people (2010) in Central Cuba. The city of Ciego de Ávila is a modern city, although in the historic center you can find many features of the colonial architecture typical of this type of city.
The city lies on the main east-west highway, the Carretera Central, and is served by Astro and Viazul bus services.
It is 460 km (290 mi) east of Havana and 110 km (68 mi) west of the city of Camagüey.
- 1 Catedral de San Eugenio de la Palma, Av. Independencia at Honorato del Castillo. Designed by the architect Salvador Figueras, it opened in 1951.
- Parque Martí is the largest park in the city of Ciego de Ávila.
- Teatro Principal is a 500-seat theatre that is a few blocks from Parque Martí.
- University of Ciego de Ávila (Universidad de Ciego de Ávila, UNICA) is the province's secondary education institution.
- La Turbina is a small amusement park to the north west of the city with approximately 6 rides to use.
- Invasor is the local periodical.