Garh Panchakot is a ruined fort in the eastern part of India at the foothills of Panchet Hill in the district of Purulia, West Bengal. The ruins of the Panchkot Palace are a silent testimony to the Bargi attack during the 18th century.
Garh Panchakot sits on the slopes of Panchet Hill and adjacent to Panchet Lake, is a scenic hilly forested area, with a tinge of history. It was a fortified area owned by the Rajas of Panchakot, the Singh Deo dynasty. Their antiquity and history are still to be ascertained properly. The family is reputed to have been established in 90 AD. They were possibly linked with the Tilkampa dynasty. The ruins of Telkupi, an ancient Jain centre, were submerged when Panchet Dam was built. It is said that the Singh Deos lost out to Bir Hambir of Bishnupur Raj around 1600 AD, albeit for a short period. The Maratha raiders, locally known as Bargis, ransacked the place in the 18th century. The Singh Deo family, ultimately, moved out to Kashipur, now in Purulia district.
Railway stations around Panchet Hill:
- Adra, on Kharagpur-Bankura-Adra-Purulia line, is 25 km via Raghunathpur
- Asansol, on Howrah-Delhi main line, is 34 km via Parbelia and Dishergarh
- Barakar, on Grand Chord line, is 19 km via Chirkunda on GT Road
- Kumardhubi, on Grand Chord line, is 14 km via Chirkunda on GT Road
It is about 250 km from Kolkata by road. The drive is of 5-6 hours. It is 56 km from Dhanbad.
Have your own transport.
- 1 Garh Panchakot. Ruins of a fort of the Rajas of Panchakot.
- 2 Panchet Hill. This hill is about 2,100 ft (643m) high and occupies an area of 18 km². It is thickly forested. The area is located on the lowest step of the Chotanagpur Plateau. The hilltop offers picturesque and panoramic view of the command area of the Panchet Dam on Damodar river and its reservoir.
- 3 Pancharatna temple.
- Sundar Roy temple.
- 4 Adi Kalyaneswari temple.
The nearest urban shopping centres are at Chirkunda, 12 km away.
Eat at your place of stay.
It is preferable to carry your own requirement. You may get something locally or at Chirkunda.
- 1 Garh Panchakot Prakriti Bhraman Kendra, at the foothill of Panchet Hill, ☏ (helpline - for booking contact WBFDC - see below or website). Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 11AM. It is property of West Bengal Forest Development Corporation. Cottages - Non-AC: ₹1,000 -1,200, AC: ₹1,000 – 2,000, Conference Room: ₹8,000.
- [dead link] Palash Bithi Eco Resort, Near Garh Panchakot Prakriti Bhraman Kendra, ☏ .
- Garpanchkot Eco Resort, Garpanchkot Forest, ☏ .