Mukutmanipur is a small town in the Bankura district of West Bengal in India. It is adjacent to the dam on the Kangsabati River. This is considered as the second biggest earth dams of India. Mukutmanipur is famous as one of the best picnic spots in West Bengal.
Mukutmanipur - The second biggest earthen Dam of India. Mukutmonipur is 55 km from Bankura and is near the confluence of rivers Kangsabati and Kumari. Green forests surround the vast bluish tract of water. Hillocks are essentially a dream come here. The place is very much famous for its superb natural beauty. The undulating terrain along the southern edge of the Kangsabati Water Reservoir spreads as a three-dimensional necklace of green and terracotta colour. The stand-till water of the reservoir looks like a large blue-tinted glass mirror reflecting the vast expanse of sky over it. The vastness of the lake stretches as far one's eye can reach. The view of the sunset with the lake in the foreground is breath-taking. One must also experience the moonlit night around the reservoir. The surface of the static water turns into a shiny silvery plate gifted by God.
Jhilimili is situated around 15 km away from Mukutmanipur. A travel from Ranibandh to Jhilimili offers a wonderful exposure to spectacular forest of varying heights on both sides on the route, and finally reaching Jhilimili mounted on the top of a hillock is a great experience. The sparkle of micaceous soil adds to the beauty of the environment.
Trains are available from Kolkata to the nearest railhead Bankura. Regular buses are available from Bankura to Mukutmanipur - distance 55 km. Regular buses are also available from Kolkata, a distance 250 km. Hotels can also arrange for cars.
You can also drive down from Kolkata to Mukutmanipur easily. It will take approximately 6 hours. There are two routes. The shorter one (241 km)is Kolkata > Tarakeswar > Arambag > Bishnupur > Bankura > Mukutmanipur. The second possible route (270 km) is Kolkata > Dankuni > Bardhaman > Durgapur (till here NH 19) > Bankura (SH 9)> Mukutmanipur. The second route is recommended because of the excellent road condition in spite of the additional 30 km.
Auto rickshaws and cycle rickshaws are available.
- 1 Ambikanagar Devi Temple. A Jain prilgrimage centre.
- Island in the middle of the lake (Bonpukuria Mrigadhaba is 1.5 km from Ferry Ghat). Ferry service:Usually every 4 hours in winter. Ferry service: ₹25-₹30 per head.
- 2 Kangsabati Dam. The height of the dam is 38 metres with a lake of 86 sq km. A drive over the dam is recommended. The length of the motorable road over the dam is 14 km. One needs to collect passes to enter this road. Passes are issued free of cost near the dam from 10AM to 4PM.
- 3 Pareshnath Temple. A small shrine containing an ancient stone statue of the 23rd Jain Tirthankara Parshanath. It was found during the excavation of the dam. The shrine also contains a shiva linga and another ancient statue.
- Enjoy nature with hills all around.
- 1 Ferry Ghat. One can also enjoy a boat ride in the lake. ₹50-₹200 per hour.
Dokra work, earthen/pottery work
Local hotels abound near the bus stand serving local Bengali cuisine.
- 1 Sahu Sweets and Snacks, Mukutmonipur Rd, Gorabari, ☏ . Bengali and India sweets and desserts.
- Madol bar and restaurant, Peerless Resort, ☏ , .
- Try date palm tree juice (khejurerer ros) - if one manages to come here in winter
- 1 Ahla Lodge, Bankura, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel Amrapali, ☏ , , . Check-in: 12, check-out: 12. ₹nonac-700/,ac-1500.
- 2 Hotel Aparajita, ☏ , , . Check-in: 12, check-out: 12. AC rooms:1500-1800.
- 3 Peerless Resort, Dhagara, Khatra, ☏ , , email@example.com. Double bedded room ₹2600, Triple bedded room ₹2800, Four bedded room ₹3,000.
- 4 Hotel Green Park, ☏ . Double-bedded room: ₹800-₹1600.
- 5 Kangsabati Bhawan. Bookings at Irrigation and Water Supply Dept, Govt of W Bengal, Writer's Building Kolkata
- 6 Pancha Pally Tourist Complex, Baraghutu Hill, ☏ , . Managed by under the control of Department of Tourism, Government of West Bengal Non-AC double-bedded rooms: ₹700 - ₹900.
- 7 Sonajhuri Prakriti Bhraman Kendra (Cottages). West Bengal Forest Development Corporation Limited, 6A Raja Suboh Mullick Square, 7th Floor, Kolkata-700013. Phone: +91 33 22370060 / 22258549. Online booking is available.
- 8 Youth Hostel. Bookings at Youth Welfare Dept, WB Govt, 32/1 BBD Bagh, Kolkata.
There are several hotels near bus stand