General Santos City or "GenSan" is in the province of South Cotabato in the Philippines. It is a highly urbanized city located at the southern portion of South Cotabato, but perhaps its biggest claim to fame is that boxer Manny Pacquiao is a native. It is known as "The Tuna Capital of the Philippines". General Santos is also home to a lot of media practitioners and media companies.
The average temperature in the city is 28 degrees Celsius with a maximum of 36°C. There are only two seasons: the wet season starts in June and continues to October, the dry season then carries on to May. General Santos is outside the typhoon belt.
People from GenSan are mostly Roman Catholics. There are also a large number of Protestants and Muslims in the city. Every February, the city celebrates the Kalilangan Festival. And every September as also the celebration of the city chartered anniversary the Gensan Tuna Festival.
Cebuano is the main language spoken in General Santos City and the surrounding communities. Tagalog and English are spoken as the National Language.
GenSan Seaport no longer has ferry trips to and from Manila, Zamboanga, or Iloilo. To get a ferry you need to travel to Cagayan de oro or Iligan city ports.
- Yellow Bus Lines - travels to and from Davao City, Koronadal City and the Upper Valley areas.
- Mindanao Star - travels to and from Davao City and Koronadal City.
- Rural Transit travels to and from Bukidnon and Cagayan de Oro.
- Husky bus lines travels to and from Koronadal and Cotabato City.
There are also Vans going To and from Glan 57kms. for p80. takes one hour. The Van Terminal is next to the KCC mall. there are also big Jeppneys going from Lagao Market going to Glan.
the a/c bus fare from General santos to Koronadal is 95 pesos and takes 1.5 hours. the a/c bus fare on Mindanao Star or Yellow bus lines from General Santos to Davao is 240 peso's. takes up to 3 hours. The Mindanao Star one-stop bus with aircon, from Gensan to Davao is 240 pesos and takes 3 hours. the Yellow bus lines Non stop fare from Gensan to Davao is 300 pesos and takes 2.5 hours.
there are 5 Rural Transit buses a day from General Santos going to Cagayan de oro the last one departs at 7am. the bus fare from General Santos to Valencia Bukidnon is p500 and the trip takes 7 hours. after 7am you can take a bus to CDO by going frist too Tacurong city. there are many buses from Tacurong going to Bukidnon and CDO.
Jeepneys, multi cabs and tricycles p8. are the main modes of transportation within the city. White air-conditioned taxis, with meters installed, are also available.
- Mount Matutum (North of the city). is an active volcano, approximately 5.7 km from Acmonan, Tupi, South Cotabato. Adjacent volcanic edifices are Landayao, Tampad, and Albulhek to the west of the volcano, and Magolo to the north. There is a well-preserved 320-metre wide crater at the volcano's summit. The crater is breached by three gorges and has a 120-metre deep, densely forested floor. The great view of Matutum is seen in Barangay Pagalungan, Polomolok, with some plantation of pineapples and Barangay Mabuhay and San Isidro in General Santos City.
- Klaja Ecopark. An ecological preservation park located 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) off the central business district on the north-east side of city in Barangay Conel. Klaja Karsts Land derived its name from “Kalaha” ("frying pot") as it looked like one due to the surrounding towers of karsts formation naturally formed millions of years ago. It produced natural waterfalls and caves. Opposite is the ranch and camping ground of Nopol Hills, which borders Barangays Conel and Mabuhay. Nopol Hills offers visitors a wide scenic overview of the entire city, as well as the Sarangani Bay and parts of South Cotabato and Sarangani Province.
- Gen. Paulino Santos Museum, Marist Ave., General Santos, Philippines, ☎ . Located within the Notre Dame of Dadiangas University. It is the first formal museum in the city. It showcases the memorabilia of General Paulino Santos and the first settlers of the city who flocked to the area now known as General Santos City. It also features cultural artifacts of South Cotabato province.
- Several festivals' are also celebrated in General Santos. Among these festivals are:
- Kalilangan Festival. General Santos City celebrates the Kalilangan every month of February. "Kalilangan" means festival, festivity or jubilation. It is a social gathering marked by exchanging of amenities among traditional leaders, elders, allies and subordinates in varying tones. In a broader perspective, Kalilangan projects a positive and dynamic meaning for it engulfs the artistic, humane and altruistic aspects of social interaction that takes place in any occasion or celebration. Kalilangan is a noble tradition. It is a complete work of art nourished and nurtured by rich cultural heritage that has withstand the test of time from generation to generation. The festival is being Spearheaded by the Mindanao State University upon which have garnered awards as the countries best native/local festival three years in succession.
- Tuna Festival. Thanksgiving and festivities are being celebrated annually through its Tuna Festival during the Last week of August and the first week of September highlighting on its main industry which is the Tuna fishing. This is also in line with the celebration of the city's charter anniversary which falls every 5 September and is also being set as the culmination day for the Tuna Festival. Aside from parades and showcases, numerous culinary competitions are being held to promote sumptuous tuna based cuisines and other delectable meals made from fresh sea food
- Yaman Gensan. Yaman Gensan is an annual event in Gensan that celebrates and promotes local entrepreneurs. It is also celebrates in Month of July. Tuna products, T'nalak, Malong and other tribal objects that show off and sell it, through manufacture. Yaman Gensan direves a good quality of highly urbanized.
- Paskuhan sa Gensan. The city invites the way of Birth of Jesus christ, by honoring this event. This is actually celebrates in December 17 up to the countdown of New Year, Colorful lanterns, giant Christmas tree and Gensan Barangay Christmas House competition are in the event and also Paskuhan sa Gensan Street Dancing, choir group and Christmas Dance craze are joined also in the love and hope event.
- Sto. Nino Patronal Fiesta. This one day celebration in the city is celebrated every 15th of January. It is the same as the Sinulog Festival in Cebu City. Colorful amphibians, Sr. Santo Nino's Grotto and street dancing. This annual and patronal festival is celebrating in Barangay Bula.
- Diving at south divers point
- Beach at Gumasa 120 minutes away from General Santos
- Golf at Sarangani Golf Club (Sarangani Province) or Kalasangi Golf Club (Polomolok)
Shopping Malls & Supermarkets
- Fitmart Gensan Supermarket., Downtown Proper, Roxas West. lower prices.
- Gaisano Mall & Gaisano Supermarket., J. Catolico St., Lagao beside SOCOTECO II-Gensan. 9am-8pm.
- KCC Mall of Gensan, J. Catolico St., Lagao GSC. 9am-8pm. has a kcc supermarket
- Robinsons Place Gensan & Robinsons Supermarket., Bula - Lagao Road, Lagao GSC. 9am-8pm.
- SM City General Santos & Savemore supermarket, Santiago Blvd., Lagao GSC. 10am-8pm.
- Unitop Department Store, Magsaysay Avenue. 9am-8pm.
- 7-Eleven Convenience Stores. 24 hour. all over General santos.
Tuna is widely available in the city and is a part of the local cuisine along with a lot of other fresh seafood. Popular dishes include grilled tuna belly dipped in soy sauce with onions and chili, and Sinuglaw that comprises grilled meat mixed with Kinilaw (Filipino vinegar-based ceviche), while fried banana and turón is made from fresh local bananas. A wide range of dining establishments have popped up elsewhere in the city offering local and foreign cuisine.
- Pahayahay Restobar (love all feed all) (located along J. Catolico between Petron and Phoenix gas stations.), ☎ . good music, great food, reggae feel, 24 hours open
- Bee Stop Restaurant (Bee), Santiago Boulevard GSC (In front of Gillamacs Building). A place where the best garlic, buttered and fried chicken can be found.
- Sarangani Highlands, Tambler, General Santos City.
- Fagioli, Petron Gasoline Station, Jose Catolico Ave., Lagao, General Santos City. if you just want to relax & have coffee. ideal time to visit will be during mid-afternoons when it isn't crowded. nice ambiance. bring along your laptop as the whole place is WI-FI enabled.
- Chicken Hauz, South Osmeña, General Santos City. very casual atmosphere but if you try out their famous "garlic chicken", you will crave for more...
- Mang Gorio's Bahay Kainan, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Paseo del Sol, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Ranchero, National Highway, General Santos City.
- La Veranda, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Grab-A-Crab, Laurel East Ave., General Santos City.
- Orange Bistro, Jose Catolico Ave., Lagao, General Santos City.
- Casa Goatan, Bulaong Subdivision, General Santos City, ☎ .
- KCC mall of Gensan Merienda Buffet, Kcc mall. J catolico street (lower ground floor fronting kcc supermarket). 2pm-6pm. the best all you can eat deal in Gensan at this time. p79.
- bee stop chicken house (bee), santiago boulevard (general santos city). Bee Stop is serving a delicious garlic chicken in town. also available: buttered and fried chicken.
- Goldenstate College Cafeteria, Bakeshoppe and Catering Service, Pioneer ave corner Acharon boulevard general santos city, ☎ . food center,bakery,bakeshoppe,and catering service
- Rolands Steak House, Jose Catolico Ave. Lagao. Rolands serve the very best steak in the whole of GenSan city. Well worth a visit. Casual atmosphere but the service is good.
- Nelsons Market, General Santos City. Good Seafood and tuna
- Janna's Inasal de Cebu, National Highway, General Santos City. The best tasting lechon in town
- Tatay Pepe's Restobar, along Laurel East Street (in front of Bayantel Office), ☎ . 7pm-1am. Enjoy live entertainment NIGHTLY, rain or shine- beginning 9:30pm to 1:00am with acoustic modern, alternative and contemporary music and a little bit of love songs. Listen to our highly-acclaimed music selection in between jamming sets...
- Marasa Grill, #41 Kadulasan St., General Santos City (near Lea's Pension), ☎ . 7AM-3PM. Marasa Grill serves lutong bahay and grilled meat and seafood. It also accepts catering for all occasions. It is open for breakfast and lunch. Php49-120.
- Blugre Coffee, JMP Bldg, S. Osmena Street (2 blocks East of Municipal Hall). 8:30 am - 12:00 am. Easily the best coffee in Gensan. The atmosphere is very comfortable with jazz music. Good desserts and light meals to go with espresso coffees, teas, iced-blended drinks, and excellent fresh-squeezed lemonade.
- Big Ben's, Robinson's Mall. Known for delicious steak, there are also many local options of good Filipino food. A very nice atmosphere with warm service.
- Pahayahay Restobar (love all feed all) (located along J. Catolico between Petron and Phoenix gas stations), ☎ . good music, great food, reggae feel, 24 hours open
- East Asia Royale Hotel, National Highway, General Santos City.
- Sydney Hotel, Pendatun Ave., General Santos City, aldrin. 1340/2000.
- MLoft Business Hotel, Salvani St. Gen. Santos City, (Between Aparente and Mabuhay Rd.), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. hotel in a quiet but accessible location, provides ample parking, wheel-chair friendly. 1500- 1850.
Budget under 1000
- Leas Pension House, Champaca and Rambutan Streets, ☎ . has a total of 40 rooms. small Single fan rooms with own bathroom. Single A/C rooms with own bathroom. A/C double rooms with own bathroom. all rooms have cable TV. php450/575/650.
- Matutum Hotel, P Acharon boulevard., ☎ . 62.fan and a/c rooms with own bathrooms. php300/650.
- DSWD Dormitory, Roxas east aveune.. fan dorm beds 200 per person.
- Uccp christian center, 32 munasque street, ☎ . fan dorm beds. 150 per person.
- Jeds Haven, Rambutan street, ☎ . a/c single/double rooms with own bathrooms and Cable tv. 480/545.
- Limelily Pension, 60 sampaguita street Purok Bagong silang (700m from Makar wharf. Labangal), ☎ , . Rather far from down town, this place has small fan and a/c double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. 450/550.
- Residencia Heneral Travelers Inn., R D Bldg Pioneer avenue., ☎ , . not so clean fan double rooms with out side bathroom. a/c double outside bathroom. all rooms are good for two persons. Free WIFI. 300/400.
- Princefield Express Inn., Marcos Avenue., ☎ , . a/c double rooms with cable TV and own bathroom. 12 hours 250. 24 hours 500..
- La Mirada Travelers Inn, Pukok 19 National highway San Vicente Lagao (500m from Lagao public market), ☎ . big very clean a/c double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. has free WiFI in all rooms. sells breakfasts and drinks. 450.
- Renshani Inn., puork 19 National highway san vicente Lagao (400m from Lagao Public market), ☎ . fan double rooms with own bathrooms and TV. a/c double rooms with own bathroom and Cable TV. all rooms have Free WIFI. has nice garden. 350/450.
- Kalilangan travellers inn, Ragah moda bula GSC (next to the coca cola bottling Bula.), ☎ . a/c double rooms with own bathrooms . 450.
- Dolores hotel, Santiago boulevard (next to main market), ☎ , . single non air. standard room. 350/750.
- Green Bee square Inn, papaya street (near Pioneer ave.), ☎ . a/c double room with own bathroom and cable TV. has nice garden to sit in. ₱600.
- Alca Suites & Pension House, Diamond Street Munda Subdivision. Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 12 noon. Double A/C room with own bathroom, cable TV and free Wi-Fi. ₱650.
- Bureau Of Immigration General Santos office Ground floor Robinsons mall. J Catolico Sr Avenue.
- General Santos District Hospital. Fernandez Street. phone 83-3020759. (Government Hospital).
- General Santos social Hygiene Clinic City Health office. Fernandez Street. phone 83-3020759. (free STD-HIV Testing)
- Generika Drug Store Nunez Street. lower cost.