Ingå is a municipality with a vast archipelago situated approximately 60 km west of Helsinki. The population (about 5600 people in 2011) is bilingual with 55% Swedish speakers and 42% Finnish.
Between 1944 and 1956 the large parts of Ingå, Siuntio and Kirkkonummi areas at and around Porkkala peninsula were leased to the Soviet Union as a naval base. The Soviet lease for Porkkala had been contracted for 50 years originally, however in 1955 an agreement was reached to return it earlier.
- 1 Ingå kyrkby. The largest village and the administrative centre of the municipality. It has a guest harbour.
- 2 Degerby. A small village, the centre of an independent municipality until 1946. It has a museum of the Porkkala Parenthesis.
- 3 Täkter (Tähtelä).
- 4 Solberg (Päivölä).
- 5 Fagervik. A castle and a former iron works.
- 6 Barösund. The area of the village consists of several larger islands (Barölandet, Orslandet, Elgsjölandet) and hundreds of smaller islands and islets.
- Visit Ingå, Strandvägen 2, 10210 Ingå, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Degerby Tourism, Furuborgvägen 6, 10160 Degerby, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
By public transport
There are a handful of coach connections in schooldays, fewer in summer, usually between Helsinki and Karis (most continuing to Ekenäs, Hanko or elsewhere) via the crossroads of e.g. Degerby and Ingå centre. In Karis the coaches usually go via the bus station in the centre, a few also via the train station. They tend to be late, so beware if trying to catch a train.
There is a minibus (VR bus) connecting to some trains, with the stop at the train station, run on behalf of VR between Karis and Kirkkonummi via Ingå. It does not stop at intermediate coach stops (although you could try nicely asking the driver). Search for "Ingå apotek" to get to the main village ("Ingå" in VR parlance signifies Ingå railway station, some kilometres away) and book together with the train ticket (no ticket sale on board). The minibus connection can be used also without a train leg, still booking through the VR pages.
There are local "taxiline" buses or minibuses (line number 191) between Kirkkonummi and Ingå centre stopping also at intermediate coach stops. See Ingå: trafik for more information. The bus goes to Kirkkonummi train station. Fare to Ingå €3.
There is a Matkahuolto route planner for bus trips.
In the school year 2019–2020 there is an experiment with free public transport from Lohja hospital once daily on school days (taxiline, stopping at intermediate stops).
Road 51 between Helsinki and Karis goes through Ingå. The distance from Helsinki is about 60 km. For Fagervik, Barösund or more quiet driving, you could instead follow the historic King's Road.
As Ingå has a nice archipelago and the main yacht fairway between Helsinki and the Archipelago Sea passes through it, yacht is a natural way to get in (or around).
- Ingå guest harbour, Strandvägen 2 (in the centre of the main village), ☏ . Also fuel station and repairs. €20 (1 Jun–15 Aug), €10 (May, rest of Aug, Sept); self service laundry €10.
- Schola guest harbour, Valhallavägen 18 (Barösund), ☏ (port office/Café Magasinet), (restaurant). Fuel, shop, laundry. €20, electricity +€5.
-  (on Jakobramsjö), ☏ . €20, electricity +€5; sauna (private) €30/h, SUP-boards €10+€10/h.
Scheduled transportation is sparse, mainly the above mentioned connections. You can get around by car, bike, or taxi.
The main village, the Ingå parish village, is 1 km from the main road (road 51). The VR bus stops at the pharmacy (Ingå apotek) close to the supermarket and the church, most coaches have stops also somewhat farther. The tourist information, library and marina are half a kilometre south from the pharmacy.
Degerby village is a few hundred metres north of road 51. Most coaches stop at the crossroads, some services may drive through the village.
Barösund is on the main yacht fairway from Helsinki westward, so easily reached by boat. There are also a few buses per day to Barösund from Ingå bus station, see timetables from Matkahuolto.
The other villages are farther from the main roads, so you need connections specifically to those.
Municipal Dial-a-Ride service can also be used for trips within Inkoo. A taxi ride along the scheduled routes, possibly with a detour to pick you up, costs €3/person.
There is a boat between Ingå and Barösund operated by the municipality of Ingå, see Skärgårdstrafiken.
See Uusimaa#By_taxi for information about companies and fares
- Taxi station, Strandvägen 8 a1, Ingå parish village, ☏ .
- Taxi Högström Hege, ☏ .
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- 1 Gammelgården. Local house museum, showcasing the daily life in former days. Gammelgården also hosts market events around the year.
- 2 Ingå church (Ingå kyrka, Inkoon kirkko). Medieval church, with a well preserved Danse Macabre-themed fresco.
- Fagervik historical ironworks and manor (see #Villages above).
- 3 The Cannons at Torp (Kanonerna vid Torp, Torpin tykit), Kanonvägen 4 (hamlet of Torp, a few kms northwest of Ingå parish village). Military museum with cannons, but also other military hardware (at least Finnish, Soviet and American) on display.
- 4 Lomamäen Lemmikkipuisto, Torbackavägen 213 (bus stop "Degerby", 2.5 km walk), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Lomamäen Lemmikkipuisto is an adventurous mini zoo for the whole family. There is a peaceful playground for the little ones. €17 per person, family (max. 6 persons) €60.
Historical remains of Porkkala parenthesis
There are still traces of the Soviet lease period to be seen in Ingå. A natural start of your exploration can be the Igor Museum in Degerby.
- 5 Igor Museum in Degerby, Furuborgsvägen 6, 10160 Degerby, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1 June–17 August Tu–Sa 11:00–16:00, in winter Sa 12:00–16:00 and other times by agreement. Stories of Finnish and Soviet people affected by involuntary re-settling due to the Porkkala lease. €5.
- 1 Kopparnäs (Turn from Helsinki-Hanko road 51 at Degerby to Kopparnäs Road to the south). The recreation area (450 ha mainland, 67 ha islands and 195 ha of water area) comprises of a rocky shore, forest, meadows and agricultural land. Several islands are part of the area, the largest one Stora Halsö with a pier for fixing boats (depth about 1.5 m). There are several car parks with compost toilets and sheds (fireplaces) for making BBQs.
- 2 Gölisnäs. This small recreation area (11.5 ha) can be reached after a 4 km drive from Barösund. A scenic shore, forest, car park, dry toilets, picnic huts and mosquitoes. Gölisnäs can also be reached by larger boats, as the water depth is 8 feet at the dock.
- Älgsjölandet, ✉ email@example.com. Recreation area (380 ha) owned by the city of Helsinki, reachable by boat, car or bike. Large guest harbour. Café. Rowing boats and SUP boards for hire. Free; rowing boat €5/hr, SUP board €10+€10/hr.
The main village has a supermarket and some other shops. During the warmer half of the year fishermen sell their catch in the harbour, and sometimes there are also local farmers selling their produce.
In the other villages the shops may have short hours, be limited to the summer season, be closed in vacations or not cover what you need. Check in advance.
- 1 Strand. A small shopping mall with shops and places to eat and drink.
- 2 Degerby Deli, Degerbyvägen 1. M–F 12–18, Sa 11–18, Su 11–16. Food store and café in the village of Degerby, owned by pop singer Kisu Jernström and specializing in local produce.
Eat and drink
- 1 Delta Café, Småbåtshamnen. Café and restaurant in the yacht harbour. Mostly fast food (hamburgers, pizza, kebab), but also does two "proper" dishes of the day, one with fish and another with meat.
- 2 Sågen, Strandvägen 3. "The saw" is as close you get to fine dining in Ingå. Mediterranean, American and Finnish cuisine.
- 1 Mangs Gård, Solbergsvägen 667 (15 km north from Ingå), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed and breakfast at a farm. They also have a shop with local products and a big yearly farmers market takes places there in late September.
- 2 Westerby Gård, Västerbyvägen 95, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. An small estate that has been converted into a hotel.
|Routes through Ingå|
|Turku ← Raseborg ←||W E||→ Siuntio → Helsinki|