It is a sprawling town that has effectively more that one centre (Stadtteil). The centre, Nieder-Ingelheim, has been rejuvenated in recent years providing a friendly car free shopping area. To the east of the centre moving uphill you come to the area of the Kaiserpfalz, many of the ruins being part of houses. To the west of the centre passed the Boehringer pharmaceutical plant is more modern housing and stores. Ober-Ingelheim is the older part of town to the south which includes the Burgkirche. To the north is Frei-Weinheim where you take the ferry for Oestrich-Winkel.
- 1 Kaiserpfalz (Nieder-Ingelheim). Chosen by Charlemagne as the site of one of his palaces, there are remains of buildings from the 8th to the 14th century.
- 2 Burgkirche (Ober-Ingelheim). Church with fortification in the old part of the town.
Take a walk along the Rhine, there is a path starting at the ferry which includes some games and little playgrounds for kids as well as other hidden things like a small wooden tower.
Take a hike to the Bismarck-Turm at the top of the hill behind the city, have a drink and enjoy the view in the strange restaurant up there which actually smells like there would be wild animals around - and in fact, they have cages with tigers up there.
Visit the old part of Ingelheim which can be reached by walking up the main road from the train station and do a tour through all the wineries at night.
Take your bicycle and enjoy the great nature around, either by taking the "Hiwwel route" or the route along the Rhine.
- Rotweinfest: 24 September - 3 October 2016 . Red wine festival (date needs updating)
There are dozens of new shops in the newly built city center, of which some even sell touristic souvenirs. Wine is probably the best thing to shop for in Ingelheim, there are also good butchers and bakeries as in every village around.
- 1 Brauhaus Goldener Engel, Neisser Straße 1, ☎ . Excellent beer and standard German food.
- 2 Kloster Engelthal, Edelgasse 15, ☎ . Excellent red wine (from one of the best wineries in Ingelheim) and nice food in a former monastery. The bar actually has the nicer atmosphere. Reservations required.
- 3 Jade Garden, Binger Straße 38 (by Wilhelm-von-Erlanger-Straße), ☎ . Very good Chinese restaurant with great views of the area.
- 4 Maxim Asia Lounge, Römerstraße 10, ☎ . Asian express restaurant and take-away
- 5 Petersilie, Bahnhofstraße 21, ☎ . Cafe and restaurant, old stone building decorated in tasteful modern style. Very good healthy choice of meals.
- 6 Rewe supermarket, Georg-Rückert-Straße 3. Take-away salad bar
- 7 Bergrestaurant Waldeck, Waldeck 1 (Above Ingelheim next to the Bismarck-Turm (tower)), ☎ . Good German food and friendly staff with a great view of the Rhine Valley from the terrace. And yes, there are tigers.
- 8 Purer Genuss, Binger Str. 88 (on the new market square), ☎ . Good place for coffee and cakes
In Ingelheim, there are dozens of wineries of which none sells bad wine. The best wineries include Dautermann, Neus, Wasem and Mett.
- 1 Fetzers Landhotel, Gaulsheimer Straße 14 (a little out of the centre in the village of Sporkenheim). Small hotel with attached restaurant, a little expensive but acceptable quality.
- 2 Smarthotel Ingelheim, Konrad-Adenauer Street 30, ☎ .
- 3 Hotel Rheinkrone, Dammstraße 14, ☎ .
- 4 Hotel Erholung, Binger Str. 92, ☎ .