Milton is located near major highways including route 128, interstate 95, and interstate 93. It is also a short taxi ride from Logan International Airport in Boston. The town has three gas stations, two of which are located near the highway exits.
By public transit
The Ashmont-Mattapan Trolley line runs between Mattapan Square and Ashmont station with four stops in Milton.
There are four MBTA buses that run through Milton: the 215 (Quincy Center-Ashmont), the 245 (Mattapan Square to Quincy Center), the 240, and the 217. There is also the 716 route that runs to Canton. Of these bus routes, the 215 and 240 run every 35 to 80 minutes. The 217, 240, and 716 are only limited service routes
A car can be helpful, given that transit services are mostly on the periphery and the routes that do run into Milton run infrequent at times. Routes 28 and 138 are useful throughfares to travel around Milton.
- 1 Milton Centre Historic District (Canton Ave & Reedsdale Rd). 24 hours daily. Includes the First Parish Church (1788), the town library, two old fire stations, and the Powder House (1811), used to house munitions during the war of 1812. Free.
- 1 Cunningham Park, 75 Edge Hill Rd, ☏ . roughly 9AM-7PM daily. Established in 1904, it is one of the largest public parks in Milton. The town's public pool is here, opening in early June and closing in late August. Pool passes and swimming lessons are offered throughout the summer season at the price of $100 per family and $2 per pass. During winter months, the brook located behind the pool is offered for public skating when frozen. The park also includes Cunningham Hall, a community meeting place with a bowling alley in the lower level that is open from about September to April. The park is also home to baseball fields, tennis and basketball courts, and a playground for children of different ages.
- 2 The Blue Hills Reservation. A great place for a hike, picnic, or ski trip during the winter months. Take a hike up to the castle structure known as the Blue Hills Observatory. The Trailside Museum and Nature Center offers programs to adults and children including summer camps. This is a place to learn about local wildlife and to explore. Houghton’s Pond offers a swimming area, picnic sites, playground, snack bar, and fields for local sporting events. Recreational activities include fishing, hiking, horseback riding, picnicking, skiing, softball, and swimming. The pond is 24 acres and 42 feet deep. The Massachuseck Indians fished and hunted here until the Houghton family farmed the land. During the summer months, lifeguards are on duty at the swimming area.
- 3 Turners Pond. Located behind one of the major elementary schools, Glover Elementary, the pond welcomes fishers. A cleared path surrounds the pond for visitors to explore.
- 4 Ulin Memorial Ice Skating Rink. For free public skating from Thanksgiving through the winter months, stop here and enjoy skating or a hockey game. The rink includes skate rental, a full snack bar, and can be rented out for private parties. The rink is home to the Curry College Colonels and the Milton High School Wildcats.
- 5 East Milton Square. The square is located on the east side of Milton with easy access to Interstate 93. The square includes the Fruit Center Market place, shopping, salons, post office, library, a restaurant, fast food restaurants, banks, coffee shops, fitness centers, and medical offices.
- 1 Gift Garden (Fruit Center Marketplace), 10 Bassett St #10 (East Milton). M Tu 10AM–5PM; W-F 10AM–7PM; Sa 10AM–6PM; Su 11AM–5PM. Offers unique handmade gifts. The products of designer Vera Bradley are also sold here. Prices are moderate to high, depending on the merchandise.
- 1 Newcomb Farms Family Restaurant, 1139 Randolph Ave, ☏ . M-Th 7AM–3:30PM; F-Su 7AM–8PM. Famous for its breakfast. The restaurant offers a lunch and dinner menu, only available Friday through Saturday. Prices are low-mid ranged.
- 2 Mr. Chans, 534 Adams St, ☏ . Su-Th 11:30AM–9:30PM; F-Sa 11:30AM–10:30PM. Dine-in, take-out be delivery. Chinese fast food menu. It offers a contemporary atmosphere with mid-range prices. Mr. Chans is the town's only Chinese fast food restaurant.
- 3 Ichiro Sushi, 538 Adams St A, East Milton Square, ☏ . Tu-Th 11:30AM–9PM; F-Sa 11:30AM–10PM; Su 12:30–10PM. A reasonably priced sushi menu. Dine in or take out, the restaurant does not offer delivery services.
- 4 Abbey Park, 550 Adams St, East Milton Square, ☏ . M-Sa 11:30AM–10PM; Su 11AM–9PM. The style is contemporary and the menu offers American cuisine for lunch or dinner. Prices are mid-high ranged. The restaurant offers a full bar.
- 5 Prime, 88 Wharf St (Lower Mills, T: Milton), ☏ . Tu-Su 5PM-11PM. Prime Pizza Milton offers social hour, brunch, dinner and a full bar. $14-28.
- 6 Steel & Rye, 95 Eliot St (T: Central Avenue), ☏ . M-Th 4:30PM-10PM, F Sa 4:30PM-11PM, Su 11AM-9PM. Since opening in an old garage in 2012, Steel & Rye has won dozens of accolades. It's a little on the spendy side, but you're really getting what you're paying for here. Artisanal cuisine with a menu that changes with the seasons. Heritage & heirloom everything. Fantastic drinks. Free parking. Starters $13-25, mains $14-38.
Three restaurants in Milton offer a full bar, Abby Park, Prime, and Steel & Rye. There are no other bars in Milton. There is a liquor store located in East Milton. In West Milton you'll find another liquor store and a specialty wine shop.
There are no hotels in Milton.
|Routes through Milton|
|Manchester ← Boston ←||N S||→ Quincy → Canton|
|Lawrence ← Boston ←||N S||→ Randolph → Wareham|
|END ←||N S||→ Canton → Fall River|
|END ← Mattapan ←||SW NE||→ Dorchester → Transfer to Red Line|