Monaghan is in County Monaghan.
- Bus Éireann Expressway 32 and X32 provide an express service south to Castleblayney, Carrickmacross, Dublin Airport and Dublin City, and north to Omagh, Strabane, Lifford and Letterkenny, every 2 hours Monday to Sunday.
- Bus Éireann 175 [dead link] operates southwest to Rockcorry, Cootehill and Cavan, 5 times per day Monday to Friday and 4 times per day Saturdays and Sundays.
- Local Link 176 [dead link] operates southwest to Threemilehouse, Clones, Scotshouse and Cavan, 5 times per day Monday to Saturday.
- Bus Éireann 182 [dead link] operates southeast to Castleblayney, Carrickmacross, Ardee, Collon and Drogheda, 7 times per day Monday to Friday and 4 times per day on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Ulsterbus 70 and Goldline Express 270 and 271 operate northeast to Armagh, 4 times per day Monday to Saturday. 2 of these buses (routes 270 and 271) extend to Portadown, Lurgan and Belfast.
Local Link Cavan Monaghan operate a frequent town bus service [dead link] in Monaghan, consisting of two routes:
- Route M1 serves the northern villages of Tydavnet, Scotstown and Ballinode into Monaghan, 7 times per day Monday to Saturday.
- Route M2 serves the southern villages of Ballybay and Tullycorbet into Monaghan, 5 times per day Monday to Saturday. An extension of route M2 provides a service from Ballybay via Doohamlet to Castleblayney, 4 times per day Monday to Friday and 3 times per day on Saturdays.
Both routes follow the same alignment through the town, serving Monaghan Library, Monaghan Hospital, Monaghan Bus Station and Monaghan Institute, providing a nearly hourly frequency within the town. No town bus service operates on Sundays.
Single fares on the town bus service range between €2.00-€4.00 adult, €1.50-€3.00 student and €1.00-€2.00 child. Return and 7-day tickets are also available.
Route maps, including stop locations, are available by entering the route number into the TFI route mapper.
- 1 Market House. Completed in 1792 is now an arts venue.
- 2 St Macartan's Cathedral.
- 3 Rossmore Forest Park.
- Garage Theatre, St. Davenets Complex, Armagh Road, Monaghan Town.
- An Poc Fada, North Rd, Monaghan Town. Live music every weekend.
- 1 Four Seasons Hotel & Leisure Club, Coolshannagh, ☏ .
- 2 Castle Leslie, Glaslough (1 km from border with Armagh), ☏ . Grand Victorian pile, as if Gormenghast did fine decor and cuisine. B&B double from €250.