Portstewart is a scenic town in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Portstewart has been taken over by apartment developments like many seaside towns in the past. However it retains a family orientated place.
Buses from Coleraine the closest rail connections.
- 1 Portstewart Strand. is the fabulous, two mile long beach, which has been the most popular attraction of Portstewart to holiday-makers for generations. The beach has magnificent golden sands and impressive sand dunes. The beach finishes at the barmouth of the river Bann overlooking Castlerock. Now owned by the National Trust, it is one of the most popular Trust properties in the entire United Kingdom.The introduction of a car ban after 20:00 during the Summer months has been received with fury from the local 'Keep Portstewart Open Group' According to their spokesperson, Danny Widdle, action will be taken to reopen the beach to locals after 20:00.
- 2 Flowerfield Arts Centre, 185 Coleraine Rd., ☏ . an excellent resource with ongoing art exhibitions, craft displays and resident artists. A fantastic park land provides a play area and plenty of space for kids.
- 1 Portstewart Golf Club. The town is home to three golf courses (under one club), made lively by the forceful Atlantic Ocean wind, which continually pushes over the whole town. The strand course is an exhilarating golf course, set amidst imposing, gigantic sand dunes with panoramic views across the Atlantic mouth of Lough Foyle to the Inishowen peninsula of County Donegal beyond. The front nine is among the best anywhere, and the first hole is in a class by itself. In fact it is often stated that Portstewart strand has the best opening hole in Irish golf. Wonderfully situated between a gorgeous stretch of Atlantic beach and the River Bann, Portstewart strand golf course offers links golf at its thrilling and scenic best.
Cafe's on the Promenade:
Main Meals and Pub Grub: As well as The Anchor Bar Complex, Shenanigan's and The York
- Cromore Halt Guest Inn, 158 Station Road, ☏ .
Fast Food includes: Superfry, Xpress Pizza's and Kebabs, Sun Po Chinese Take-Away
- The Anchor Bar (Skippers). very popular with students September-May
- Shenanigan's (previously named Bar7). Bar and Restaurant located at the top of the Promenade
- The Ice House (located at the bottom of the Promenade). Bar and Restaurant
- Cromore Halt, Cromore Road (Next to Trolan's SuperValu).
- Portstewart Arms, Coleraine Road.
- Havana Nite Club (Part of Shenanigans).
- Club Aura (Part of the Anchor Complex). very popular with students September-May
- The York, 2 Station Road.