New Philadelphia, called New Philly by locals, is a small town and county seat of Tuscawaras County (which means "mouth of river") in northeastern Ohio. Its twin city, Dover, is immediately to the northwest and the two towns generally operate as one. In the early 1800s, the town was settled by pioneers, primarily immigrating from the Susquehanna Valley in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Canton Regional Airport (CAK IATA) is straight shot up I-77, approximately 30 miles.
- 1 Harry Clever Field (Harry Clever Municipal Airport). For the private pilot. Located in New Philadelphia, this is also the site of NASA Astronaut John Glenn's first solo airplane flight.
- I-77 provides direct access to New Philly via the exit at SR-39.
- Main Street New Philadelphia. Like many small towns in the 1970s and 80s, Downtown New Philly's businesses suffered with the advent of several enclosed shopping malls in the New Philly/Dover area. However, New Philly is experiencing a major revitalization of its downtown. New Philly's downtown was actually laid out as a replica of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The New Philly post office is also a replica of Independence Hall.
- 1 Fort Laurens State Memorial, located in Bolivar (Tuscarawas County) on County Road 102 about 1/2 mile south of State Route 212. Exit I-77 at State Route 212, ☏ , toll-free: . Built in 1778 in an ill-fated campaign to attack the British at Detroit, a park commemorates the location and an outline of the fort remains along with archaeological artifacts.
- 2 Kent State University - Tuscarawas Campus, 330 University Dr NE, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Philadelphia High School. and Quaker Stadium provided the famous college football coach, Woody Hayes, his first head coaching job. Hayes would go on to coach at Miami University in Oxford (where he coached his future arch-rival Bo Shembechler of University of Michigan fame) before building his legendary career with the NCAA Big Ten Conference, Ohio State University Buckeyes in Columbus.
- Historic Roscoe Village, ☏ , toll-free: . Coshocton.
- Schoenbrunn Village (on SR-259, it can be easily accessed off of I-77, exit 81, approximately 4 miles southeast. Schoenbrunn), ☏ , . We-Sa 9:30AM-5PM, Su 12PM-5PM. A preserved missionary village built by the Moravian Christian sect to convert Delaware Native Americans adults $7, children 6-12 $3, children under 6 free.
- Cy Young Museum, 221 W. Canal St. Newcomerstown. Honors the legendary baseball pitcher, the namesake of the awards presented to the best pitcher in the American and National Baseball Leagues each year.
- First Town Days Festival, Tuscora Park, ☏ . Talent show, parade, classic car show, queen's pageant, 5K run, plate auction, midway, nightly band show. 4th of July weekend.
- Tuscora Park, 161 Tuscora Ave, ☏ . NW. A park for all ages, including an antique carousel (1928) and other rides for the kids, swimming facilities, a duck pond and relaxing environment for a romantic stroll or picnic. Note the adjacent high school football stadium, named in honor of legendary football coach, Woody Hayes, a former coach of the New Philadelphia High School Quakers.
- Schoenbrunn Amphitheater. See Trumpet in the Land and The White Savage. Dramatizing the stories of the Moravian Delaware Tribe, the great chief Tecumseh and the short-lived triumphs and long-felt tragedies that took place during the settlement of the Old Northwest Territory with the peaceful settlement of Schoenbrunn followed by reciprocal massacres at Big Bottom and Gnadenhutten, serving as the locations for the tipping point in early American - Native American relations.
- Ohio and Erie Canal. The canalway extends from Cleveland down through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Akron, Canton, New Philadelphia, Bolivar and Historic Zoar Village in Tuscarawas County. Hiking, biking and horseback riding.
- Canoe the Tuscawaras River.
- Holmes County for Amish furniture and goods.
- Sugarcreek for antiques, crafts, cheese and items of Swiss and German American heritage.
- Warther Carvings, 327 Karl Avenue, Dover, ☏ .
- Millers Clothing and Shoes, 159 West High Ave. 930-530 mon,tues,wed,sat 930-800 thurs,fri.
- Gavin's on the Square, 110 South Broadway, New Philadelphia, +1 330 343-2490. Casual eatery in the center of town with humorous art, fresh interior decor, good food, and friendly service.
- Grinders, 3003 North Wooster Avenue, Dover, +1 330 602-3083.
- Dennison Yard, 313 Center St (in Dennison, about 8 miles southeast of New Philadelphia), ☏ .
- The Pros Table, 878 E High Ave, ☏ . Surf-n-turf, Pasta
- Uncle Primo's, 435 Minnich Ave Nw (Near the intersection of Minnich Ave NW and 4th Dr NW), ☏ .
- Brewhouse Taproom and Grill, 127 South Broadway, ☏ . 27 beers on tap, open 365 days a year
- Danny' s Grill, 110 Ashwood Lane, ☏ .
- Several choices of national brand motel chains along SR-39 just east of I-77.
- Atwood Lake Resort.
- Burr Oak State Park Lodge.
- Hampton Inn New Philadelphia, 1299 West High Avenue, ☏ . Free hot breakfast and free WiFi.
Bed & Breakfast
Zoar was a communal village for 80 years. The historic town is a charming getaway with a handful of quaint B&Bs.
- Cobbler Shop Bed & Breakfast, 121 East Second Street, ☏ , .
- The Keeping Room Bed & Breakfast, 214 Main Street, ☏ .
- Zoar School Inn Bed & Breakfast, 160 Third Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Enchanted Pines Bed & Breakfast, Bolivar.
- Wild Horses Bed & Breakfast, Bolivar.
- Whispering Hills Bed & Breakfast Retreat, Dover / Zoarville.
- Olde World Bed & Breakfast, Dover.
- Amish Country centered in Holmes County.
- Atwood Lake Resort for swimming, fishing, boating, sailing, hiking, golfing and more.
- 90 minutes from three big cities: Cleveland, Columbus, and Pittsburgh, PA.
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park, drive north up the Ohio and Erie Canal Byway that extends to Lake Erie in Downtown Cleveland from Historic Zoar and Bolivar, through New Philadelphia and Dover, and beyond Canton and Akron.
- Historic Zoar Village
- Wayne National Forest
|Routes through New Philadelphia|
|Canton ← Dover ←||N S||→ Cambridge → Charleston|
|Ashland ← Dover ←||W E||→ Jct W E → Wheeling|
|Mansfield ← Dover ←||W E||→ Dellroy → East Liverpool|
|Canton ← Dover ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Barnesville|