Newtown (Welsh:Y Drenewydd) is in Mid Wales. A former hub of the textile industry, it lies on the River Severn (Welsh: Afon Hafren) and is now home to high tech industries. It retains a traditional town centre of independent shops and many pubs and cafes. There's also an art gallery, nightclub and indoor market. The name of the town is deceptive as it has been in existence since the 13th Century, when a market was established here.
Newtown is well connected by bus and train. Buses run to destinations including Llandrindod and Llanidloes in Wales, and Shrewsbury in England. Trains run on the Cambrian line. To the west there are services to Machynlleth and Aberystwyth and on the Cambrian Coast line through Tywyn and Barmouth to Pwllheli. To the east, Welshpool and then on to Shrewsbury and Birmingham in central England.
The town centre is easily explored on foot.
- 1 Robert Owen Museum, The Cross, Broad Street, Newtown (Opposite the town clock), ☏ . Monday - Friday: 9.30am - 12noon and 2pm -3.30pm. Saturday: 9.30am - 11.30am. This museum is dedicated to the life and legacy of Newtown's most celebrated son, the Victorian social reformer Robert Owen. Owen is best known for his work at New Lanark in the Clyde valley in Scotland. Admission free.
- 2 Gregynog Hall (is in the village of Tregynon, 6 km to the north-west).
- 3 Newtown Textile Mill, 5 Commercial St, Newtown SY16 2BL, ☏ . Apr-Sept Tu, Th-Sa 12:00-16:00. Early 19th century wool mill in the town where Welsh gwlanen - wool - came to be known in English as "flannel". Donation.
- 4 Dolforwyn Castle, Abermule. remains of medieval castle
- The Bank Cafe. is great for lunch, drinks and cakes. Their menu includes a tasty homity pie with salad and other traditional favourites. It's in a cosy old wooden-beamed house.
- 1 Evans Cafe, 45 Broad St., ☏ . is a traditional Cafe in the centre of the town that is a popular lunch/tea destination.
- The Elephant & Castle Hotel, Broad St., ☏ .
- 1 Old Vicarage, Dolfor SY16 4BN (off A483), ☏ . Charming small B&B in hills south of town. No dogs. B&B double £100.
- 2 Forest Country House, Gilfach Lane, Kerry, Newtown SY16 4DW, ☏ . Splendid B&B in Victorian farmhouse. Kitchenette for your own meals, byob. Plus four self-catering cottages. B&B double £90.