Powys is a principal area in Mid Wales. It consists of the historic counties of Montgomeryshire (Welsh: Sir Drefaldwyn) , Brecknockshire (Welsh: Sir Frycheiniog) and Radnorshire (Welsh: Sir Faesyfed).
- Builth Wells
- Llandrindod Wells
- Llanfair Caereinion
- Llanwrtyd Wells - reputedly Britain's smallest town.
- New Radnor
- Newbridge on Wye
- Pen y Cae
- Elan Valley  - famous for its rolling hills and the Elan Valley dam.
Prior to the integration of Wales with England, Powys was one of the historic Welsh Kingdoms.
In 1974 Powys re-emerged as a political entity, as a county. Powys is one of the largest local authorities in Britain. It makes up the bulk of Mid Wales. The area is sparsely populated, and despite its size it was one the smallest populations in Wales. Powys has come into, and remained in being as an administrative necessity since smaller counties would not be viable due to the insufficient economies of scale they would offer.
One of the main North-South roads in Wales, (the A470) passes through its area, as does the famous Heart of Wales Railway Line, as does the east-west A458 trunk road and Cambrian Railway Line.
All train services into and within the area are operated by Arriva Trains Wales .
Two lines serve the area, which do no connect with each other in Powys.
- The Centre for Alternative Technology, ☎ . Machynlleth. An internationally well known center for the development of alternative technology - there is a frequent bus service from the clock tower (in Machynlleth) to the center.
- Craig y Nos Castle. Pen y Cae, Swansea Valley Set in magnificent grounds, this fairy-tale castle and former home to the Italian opera diva, Adelina Patti, is a wonderful attraction.
- Brecknockshire Canal, Brecon canal basin.
- Brecon Jazz Festival
- Hay Book Festival
The County has a number of Golf Courses, the isolated nature of the area means that they offer uncrowded golf, even by Welsh Standards!
- Cradoc Golf Club , Brecon- This course host an annual competition of all the Welsh Club Champions
- Glynneath Golf Club , Pont Nedd Fechan- famous Welsh Comedian and Singer Max Boyce is the Club President here.
- Llandrindod Wells Golf Club, 
- Llanymynech Golf Club , Pant, nr Oswestry - Former US Master's Winner and Ryder Cup Captain Ian Woosnam learnt his game here. This course also holds the distincition that it is the only course in the world in two countries, it has 15 holes in Wales and 3 in Shropshire, England.