You can enter the Papi Hills region in two directions: from Kunavaram or from Rajahmundry.
- Kunavaram is reachable by road from Hyderabad (351km) , Khammam (170 km) and Bhadrachalam (49km). You can hire a boat or join a tour.
- Rajahmundry also offers boat services to Papi hills. It is well connected by road and rail. The nearest airports are at Rajahmundry Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada.
You can choose from a wide variety of trips depending on the time limits. Kunavaram offers the fastest and cheapest way to check out the hills.
Tour boats locally called "Launches" are the main transport vehicles. Added to the tour boats the local fishermen's boats can be used for emergency transport.
This region isn't well connected by roads but after a 10km hike, you could reach the main roads of Bhadrachalam to Rajahmundry Ghat road via the village of VR Puram.
See and do
The hills cover a forest area where each village on the banks of the Godavari has its stops and individual specialities.
- Gandipochamma - A temple of GandiPochamma Deity .
- Perantalapalli (Village of Perantalapalli). A major stopover in boat trips, Perantalapalli has Ramakrishna Muni Ashramam and other religious places .
- Kolluru - Huts to stay & sands for relaxing atmosphere.
- Pamaleru Wagu - A place for bathing in the water which originates from the hills.
- Polavaram - Dam under construction.
- Papi Hills resorts, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Papi Hills 1 Day Tour Rs.650/- and Resorts Bookings 2 Days Package Rs.2300/- 2300.
This region hardly gets cell phone coverage and is located in the Agency area. Please stick to tourist places and don't miss your boat. It would be very difficult for foreigners who are lost, to communicate with the tribal people.