Purulia has the mixed culture of Bengal, Jharkhand and Odisha as it was a part of these regions for various times. From archaeological evidences to local festivals, every cultural event has got a tribal touch in it, which is the speciality of Purulia. Living mostly in rural areas and keeping intact many of their socio-cultural values, more or less in pristine forms, the rural people of Purulia have their folks to speak about many of their tenets.
Summers are hot and dry with temperatures ranging from lows of 23 °C to highs above 48 °C. Winters are dry and cool with daily temperatures ranging from 5 °C to 20 °C. Most of the rainfall occurs during the wet monsoons.
- 1 Purulia Junction railway station.
- 2 Purulia Bus Terminus.
Purulia is an interesting blend of nature and history. Purulia has lush green mountain ranges with rocky outcrops. It is a place for adventure sports like rock climbing. During the winter rock climbing, camping and nature study courses are held in the outskirts of the Purulia town. Purulia also has a rich heritage several archeological sites of Hindu and Jain origin are found near the town.
Purulia lacks proper public transport. To explore the town and the surrounding it is best to hire a car. Hotels can arrange for cars.
See and do
- 1 District Science Centre.
- 2 Sahebbandh. Good place for relaxation.
- 3 Haripada Sahitya Mandir (Near Saheb Bandh). A research centre and library. It was inaugurated in 1960 by central minister Humayun Kabir in 1960. It displays exhibits collected from different areas of Purulia District. Free.
- Hotel Aakash — In BT Sarkar Road, which also provides good quality accommodation.
- Tripti Restaurant — A roadside eatery opposite Aakash Hotel. Very good Indian and Chinese food. Try chilli chicken (dry) and the chicken roll.
- Mondira Snacks — At Post Office for rolls and noodles.
- Ruchira Snacks — For rolls, cutlets, noodles.
- Shree Hotel — For Bengali lunch and dinner.
Although drinking in Purulia is thought to be evil but yet people are merrymaking in this town. One can find numbers of pubs and restaurant offering liquors with food.
- 1 Hotel Akaash, B.T. Sarkar Road, ☏ .
- Kunal Hotel, B.T. Sirkar Road, ☏ .
- Mayur Hotel, B.T. Sirkar Road, ☏ .
- 2 Pinaki Sadan Hotel, Namopara Station Road, ☏ .
- Rajesh Hotel, Barakar Road, ☏ .
- Shree Hotel, Barakar Road, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Mans Saravor, S Lake Rd (Near District Science Centre), ☏ .
- 4 Aparna Lodge, Munsefdanga, Ward 2, ☏ .
- 5 Hotel Lake Vue, North Lake Road, ☏ , . With bar and restaurant
- 6 Hotel Akash Saravor, East Lake Road, Near Surya Mandir, Katin Para (next to Sahebband Lake), ☏ . Next to Sahebbandh in the heart of Purulia town. starts from Rs1500.
- 7 Pearl Tree Hotel (Pearltree), KB City Centre Mall, Deshbandhu Rd (3.5 km from Purulia Junction and beside Saheb Bandh), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 11AM. Pearl Tree Hotel, at Purulia is a 4 star boutique hotel with a mall near Purulia Railway Station. Nestled in the commercial and residential hub of Purulia, this hotel offers all the modern day amenities along with a shopping hub and a refreshing pool. This hotel in Purulia is the perfect home away from home for both the leisure and business travellers alike. ₹3289.
- Ajodhya Hill and Forest Reserve Area — there are a few buses which run to Ajodhya Hill. There is a guest house on the top of the hill where you can enjoy a night of a jungle life.