Purulia is a city in West Bengal.
Purulia is the district headquarters and administrative centre of the district of the same name. Purulia district is the western most district of the state of West Bengal.
Purulia is an interesting blend of nature and history. Purulia has lush green mountain ranges with rocky outcrops. It is a place for adventure sports like rock climbing. During the winter rock climbing, camping and nature study courses are held in the outscarts of the Purulia town.Purulia also has a rich heritage several archeological sites of Hindu and Jain origin are found near the town. Purulia lacks proper public transport to explore the town and the surrounding it is best to hire a car. Hotels can arrange for cars.
- 1 District Science Centre.
- 4 Banda Temple, Raghunathpur II Block (35 km from Purulia). Probably a Jain Temple and the most preserved stone temple of Purulia District. Built in 11th century AD the temple is a protected monument under the ASI. The 75 meter sandstone temple is built in rekh deul style with a trirath projection. It is crowne with a lotus shaped finial. The temple stands on a square base of side 14 feet 9 (aprox.). The entrance measuring 6.5 feet in hight and 3 feet in breadth faces north. The inner sanctum is located below the ground level and is completely empty. The lower portion of the eastern wall contains a stone elephant head, which probably served as a water outlet. The outer walls contain beautiful stone decoration of mainly floral and geometric nature. The temple stands inside a stone walled complex and in front of the temple is a flat roofed pillared structure, part of which has long collapsed. Free Entry.
- 5 Deulghata (27 km from Purullia. From Purulia take the Purulia - Ranchi road. Reach Joypur, take left turn pass through a level crossing and head south. Cross a stream over a bridge and take the dirt road on the left to reach Deulghata). Free Entry.
Hotel Aakash-In BT Sarkar Road, which also provides good quality accommodation.
Tripti Restaurant-A roadside eatery just opp to Aakash Hotel.Very good Indian/Chinese food.Try Chilli Chicken(Dry) and the Chicken Roll.
Mondira Snacks-At Post Office More.For Rolls/Noodles Etc.
Ruchira Snacks-For Rolls/Cutlets/Noodles etc.
Shree Hotel-For Bengali lunch and dinner.
Although drinking in Purulia is thought to be evil but yet people are merrymaking in this town. One can find numbers of pubs and restaurant offering liquors with food.
- 1 Hotel Akaash, B.T. Sarkar Road, ☎ .
- Kunal Hotel, B.T. Sirkar Road, ☎ .
- Mayur Hotel, B.T. Sirkar Road, ☎ .
- 2 Pinaki Sadan Hotel, Namopara Station Road, ☎ .
- Rajesh Hotel, Barakar Road, ☎ .
- Shree Hotel, Barakar Road, ☎ .
- 3 Hotel Mans Saravor, S Lake Rd, Purulia, West Bengal 723101 (Near District Science Centre), ☎ .
- 4 Aparna Lodge, Munsefdanga, Ward 2, Purulia, West Bengal 723101, ☎ .
- 5 Hotel Lake Vue, North Lake Road, ☎ . With bar and restaurant
- 6 Hotel Akash Saravor, East Lake Road, Near Surya Mandir, Katin Para, Purulia, West Bengal 723101 (Located next to Sahebband Lake), ☎ . Located next to Sahebbandh in the heart of Purulia town. startes from Rs1500.
- Ajodhya Pahar - There are a few buses which run to Ayodhya Pahar. There is a guest house on the top of the hill where you can enjoy a night of a jungle life.
- Garh Panchakot / Panchet Dam
- Raghunathpur / Joychandi Pahar