Rutherford is a small township in the Napa Valley region of California located between St. Helena and Oakville, along Hwy 29. This area of the valley was originally owned by General Vallejo and through a series of gifts became the property of Thomas and Elizabeth Rutherford as a wedding present 1964. The Rutherfords developed a winery, which grew to be one of the best wineries of the area. Now the town is home to high quality wineries and restaurants, a beautiful location to enjoy the wine country.
- San Francisco International Airport, +1 650-821-8211.
- Napa County Airport, 2030 Airport Rd, ☏ . No scheduled service. Useful for private planes.
From San Francisco:
- Highway 101 North over the Golden Gate Bridge, to Highway 37;
- Highway 37 East towards Vallejo/Napa, to Highway 121;
- Highway 121 North towards Napa to Highway 29 North to Rutherford.
A car is recommended for getting between the various town in Napa Valley. Please do not drink and drive or wine taste and drive.
- Frog's Leap Winery, 8815 Conn Creek Rd (between Hwy 29 and Silverado Trail), toll-free: . Monday - Saturday 10AM - 4PM. Organic vineyard and garden, offering vineyard tours and wine tasting in their Red Barn. In order to tour or taste call in advanced and make a reservation, during the high season call well in advanced.
- Swanson Vineyards, 1271 Manley Ln, ☏ . Swanson Vineyards offers wine tasting by appointment only, but it is well worth making that appointment. Cirgue Tasting is $20 and their one hour Harvey Tasting is $55
- Beaulieu Vineyard, 1960 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29), ☏ , toll-free: . Daily 10AM-5PM. This century old winery is known for its Cabernet which the founding winemaker said required the Rutherford dust to grow. Wine tasting $10, Reserve Tasting $25.
- Grgich Hill Cellars, 1829 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29), ☏ , toll-free: . Daily 9:30AM-4:30PM. Wine tasting: $10, Winery tour and VIP room tasting $15.
- , ☏ . Fly high above the wine country in a hot air-balloon. For a romantic adventure or a group delight.
- St. Helena Olive Oil Company, 8576 Highway 29 (in Rutherford), toll-free: . Daily 10AM-5PM. Gourmet oils, ingredients, wine accessories, and bath and beauty products.
- Rutherford Grill, 1180 Rutherford Rd, ☏ . Su-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F, Sa 11:30AM-10PM. Known for its BBQ ribs and cornbread. $10-$26.
- Auberge du Soleil, 180 Rutherford Hill Rd, ☏ . Serving Breakfast, lunch, dinner daily. An classic Californian cuisine menu with a prix fixe menu and two tasting menus; meat and veterinarian parings with wine. Expensive
- La Toque, 1140 Rutherford Cross Rd, ☏ . W-Su dinner seatings 5:30-6:30; 8:30-9:30. Make reservations well in advance. For weekends at least 6 weeks ahead. $49 - 88 prix fixe.
If you are looking for a bar or club head towards St. Helena.
- Auberge Du Soleil Resort, 180 Rutherford Hill Rd, ☏ , fax: . Elegant and luxurious doesn't even begin to describe Auberge De Soleil. Offers "private maisons" rooms, beautiful view and romance.
- Rancho Caymus, 1140 Rutherford Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . A Californio (Spanish/California in the early and mid 1800s) style rancho, makes you feel as though you are staying in General Vallejo's home. Top notch and expensive.
|Routes through Rutherford|
|Lakeport ← St. Helena ←||N S||→ Yountville → Vallejo|
|Cloverdale ← St. Helena ←||W E||→ Jct S → Winters|