Skowhegan is a village of 8,500 people (2014) on the banks of the Kennebec River in Maine.
Skowhegan is a name given to this place by the Abenaki, who used to live there before they were attacked and dispossessed by the white man. It means "watching place" in their language, and referred to the good fishing there was on the Kennebec River.
More recently, Skowhegan was a flourishing mill town with a big shoe factory. But unlike many deindustrialized cities in the Northeast, it still has a shoe factory — for New Balance — and a functioning paper mill.
The nearest large airport is in Portland, which is 90 mi (145 km) away.
- about 55 mi (85 km) west of Bangor on State Highway 2
- about 49 mi (69 km) north of Augusta on Interstate 95 and Route 104
The nearest bus terminal is in Waterville, about 16 mi (27 km) away.
- Skow Town Taxi, +1 207 431-7379
- Lyn's Taxi, +1 207 431-5651
- 1 Skowhegan Indian Sculpture.
- 2 Skowhegan History House, 66 Elm St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. An early area house that hosts a museum of local history.
- 1 Eaton Mountain, 89 Lambert Rd, ☏ . Ski and snowtubing facility.
- Skowhegan School of Painting & Sculpture, 39 Art School Road, Madison, ☏ , ✉ Mail@Skowheganart.org. Has a 9-week program every summer. If you are a young artist, you can apply, and if you're an art-lover, you can check on whether there are any shows while you're in town.
- 2 Skowhegan Fair, 33 Constitution Ave, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Strand Cinema.
- Alice's Restaurant, 101 North Ave, ☏ . Daily 5AM-2PM.
- 1 Gifford's Ice Cream and Mini Golf Course, ☏ . An ice cream stand with a mini golf course in the back. Open seasonally.
- 2 The Bankery, 87 Water St, ☏ . M-Sa 7:30AM-6PM. A bakery in a former bank building. Aside from sweets, they sell breads, soups, and coffee.
- 1 Southside Tavern.
- Old Mill Pub, 39 Water St, ☏ . Serves draft beer from area breweries, pretzels, and seafood with a patio overlooking the river. Occasionally hosts live music.
- 1 Skowhegan Free Public Library, 9 Elm St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Free.
- 2 Skowhegan Post Office.
|Routes through Skowhegan|
|St. Johnsbury ← Rumford ←||W E||→ Bangor → Houlton|
|Quebec City ← The Forks ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ Fairfield → Augusta|