I had the pleasure of meeting the staff at Coco Loco Bar during my vacation in Boracay. After a few visits to the bar and chatting with the young and friendly Staff, I began to learn about numerous unfair practices committed by Coco Loco's owners on their Staff.
At least 3 of the waitresses are under 18yrs. old, but they are told to lie about their age by the bar's owners. The owners prefer to hire underage teenagers in order to lure men and older men clientele to the bar.
The wait Staff are each paid P3000/month (about $70/month) way below the minimum wage required. They also have to work 7 days a week with no overtime pay. They often go for months before getting one day off.
Those who read this might want to think twice about spending a dime at Coco Loco in sympathy to their maltreated Staff.
Hopefully this would send the message to the owners that their maltreatment of their Staff has to end.
Today I did some major editing:
I did some minor grammatical changes to make the tenses agree: A restaurant is more generally referred to as in the he/she form not the they form unless you are referring to many restaurants at once:
"The English Bakery has sausages" NOT "The English Bakery have sausages"
"There are a wide variety of gift shops" NOT "There is a wide variety of shops"
[Wrong! Last time I looked, a 'variety' is singular, not plural]
Also, I tried to fix the formatting, making sure that a heading is surrounded by == and that a subheading is surrounded by ===
For example: Get In (surrounded by == ==) Looks like "Large letters with a dividing line" By AIR (=== ===) Looks like "Bold subsection within a general division" By Boat (=== ===) By Bus (=== ===)
I also tried to modify some of the wording so that it doesn't read like a blog "Such and Such's place is really sweat with fantastic steaks" but instead reads like a recommendation that may be more easily trusted. Too glowing of a review sounds like the owner may want to try to spur on sales or, as I said before reads like a blog not a Wiki-page.
I also added a subsection of (=== ===)Breakfast and (=== ===)Lunch and Dinner to the Eat(== ==) section
and I tried to clean up the Sleep section by adding locations.
I really like Boracay and many places there but I write my glowing "hey that was fantastic" to my own blog and I try my best to make this Wiki sound more professional so that it will get used as a professional resource and not get treated like another blog.
I have no time for more changes so I left most of the 'too colourful' and 'too personal' references slide for today. (WT-en) Seaniz 11:21, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- Great work — keep it up! (WT-en) Jpatokal 11:14, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- Hello! Great work fixing up this article, perhaps one day it will become a star. It seems like you really understand the tone we're going for here... Just a couple of quick suggestions: you may want to take a look at our Manual of style and templates to see how we've been formatting things -- for example, we usually don't breakdown the Eat section by type of food but by price.
- Also, it helps if you sign your comments with ~~~~ which will insert your user name and the date/time so we know who's said what!
- Anyway, looking forward to more of your contributions! (WT-en) Majnoona 11:17, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- sounds good I'll check out the style guide, but I do think breakfast should be a category as it's a very different type of meal for me! (WT-en) Seaniz
- In that case you haven't been in Asia long enough =P (WT-en) Jpatokal 21:46, 5 March 2006 (EST) (who had century egg porridge, raw fish and soya milk for breakfast yesterday)
I was just adding a few lines to the eating section and thought that it may be time to start breaking it apart and putting it back together following the style guide, as discussed above. I'd start it but I haven't been to any of the listed restaurants. More than anything this message is just support for anyone that might be thinking of reformating the section. (WT-en) Johnycanal 00:00, 21 August 2006 (EDT)
I added more information on Scuba Diving in Boracay in the Do section; the previous content said not a good place for diving, however with 20 dive centres along the beach I feel that this contradicts that opinion. I will add an external reference later to more information on diving in Boracay, when I work out how to do that —The preceding comment was added by (WT-en) 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
- Cool, thanks for the update! You may want to take a look at Project:External links though about the reference you're talking about, we don't usually add in links like that... only official websites for the dive shops can go in... If you've got any other info on Borocay, keep updating! – (WT-en) cacahuate talk 17:19, 27 March 2007 (EDT)
- Actually, I removed these links, as they are just advertisements. There are literally dozens of diving shops lining the beach on Boracay, and I see no need to list those two here. People who are interested will have no trouble finding a shop.User:(WT-en) Jdylan 17:18, 29 March 2008 (EDT)
Added Miscellaneous Section
Hi, I just added the misc. section to list things that I thought travelers should need to know, or would want to know, at least. I put in three things so far, the ATM's, the Vendors and that Bat Cave. The ATMS I put in for obvious reasons, as I myself got stuck with no money. The vendors..well, I wish I had known about them beforehand. Finally, the Bat Cave is very dangerous and there is no mention of it being so. I am open to any more suggestions.User:(WT-en) Jdylan 14:27, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
- I've moved the "Miscellaneous" information to the Buy and See sections, as that's where we usually put information about financial/shopping matters and attractions, respectively. - (WT-en) Todd VerBeek 16:09, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
Okay, thanks. I didn't know where to put that info, such as the ATM section. I thought maybe making a "Travel Tips" section? If more people throw ideas out, perhaps we could later on. User:(WT-en) Jdylan 17:20, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
- See Project:Where you can stick it for a rather long list of where to put various kinds of information. - (WT-en) Todd VerBeek 17:37, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
Does anybody Know - Nigi Nigi?
I see info in the site about Nigi Nigi Noo Noo's, with beach cottages, but when I was there I ate and drank at "Nigi Nigi's Beach Resort", which had NO cottages, it was a 3 or 4 story pretty fancy hotel with a nice lobby. I htink the owners might have bought this hotel and renamed it NNBR? I am aware of the Nigi Nigi Noo Noo's and have seen the cottages. Maybe this is new to the beach? User:(WT-en) Jdylan 18:11, 26 May 2007 (EDT)
You were at Nigi Nigi 1 - Beach front resort at Boat Station 2. There is a Nigi Nigi 2 beach front resort with cottages at boat station 2.
No Advertisements, Please!
Today I removed 3 obvious, biased advertisements with links to the respective websites. One for a sailboat company, the other two for diving companies. Looking through the history, I see most of the edits have been made to remove things like these. There are literally dozens of companies offering every service you can think of on Boracay, so we don't need to list them. We normally only list Hotels, Restaurants & Bars. Plus, there are actually too many companies to list. And keep your blatant advertisements out, such as "The Best Diving Company in Boracay!" or "Cpt. Jack will be sure you have a good time!" Okay? They will be deleted anyway.User:(WT-en) Jdylan 17:29, 29 March 2008 (EDT)
By Air / Sleep Section
Hello everyone! I edited a big part in this section. Kindly check if the edits are ok. I suggests that there should be a [tips / notes] section where we can put our side notes like the 'beware from travel agents' or the 'tips for guests with international flights', etc. Thanks! (WT-en) Wiccaglaiza 12:33, 18 March 2010 (EDT)
Hi! I updated the Caticlan airlines portion. Cebu Pac, Airphil & Pal are already allowed to land at Caticlan. (WT-en) Wiccaglaiza 11:30, 18 March 2010 (EDT)
I edited Asian Spirit, it has rebranded to Zest Airways and they have changed website already. I also edited the routes. SEAIR has no Cebu-Caticlan-Cebu flights already. Thanks!
- Thanks! (WT-en) Jpatokal 05:52, 8 April 2009 (EDT)
Thanks for the reminder. I already edited our part. FYI also, there are other resorts listed under the sleep section that have their outlets in other sections aslo i.e. Fridays Boracay & Boracay Regency.\
You edited again the part of Patio Pacific. FYI, buffet is not served all year round. Also, why delete the accreditation? Other resort listing have their accreditation in their write-up... DOT accreditation is very important so tourist will know the standards of the different resorts.
- Most resort listings in Boracay are absolutely terrible and will be dealt with in due course, please don't use them as a model for anything. Project:Accommodation listings shows how it should be done. (WT-en) Jpatokal 05:52, 8 April 2009 (EDT)
- Well, I gave the sleep listings a long-overdue once over. There are still way too many listings with nothing informative though... (WT-en) Jpatokal 02:09, 9 April 2009 (EDT)
Boracay Beach Live Cameras
I corrected the information on Boracay Beach Live since I am the owner of that camera and TravelOnline. I wanted to put an external link to the camera but discovered that it's not allowed. I find this a little confusing since the page is riddled with external links. My thinking: You can talk about Boracay all you want and describe many things there BUT seeing and hearing Boracay should be highlighted on your page. I am not saying this because I own the camera or TravelOnline, but rather my intention was to increase tourism. This camera is the best way to increase tourism. SEEING IS BELIEVING!!!
This camera was the first camera in Boracay that streamed live on the internet. It was first located at Hey Jude. However, during that era, the camera had a rough time because of the internet. TODAY, it is located at Red Coconut on the beach walk pointed toward the beach. It catches beach activities and sunsets. You can also HEAR the beach live too!!! The camera is a 14 mega pixels, wide angle lens, streaming live 24 HOURS A DAY! This is accomplished by a Fiber Optic line that runs from Kalibo Cable to Red Coconut which is connected to a converter, router and camera lines with emergency power back up and protection. The internet cost per month is $100 just to run the camera. People can wave hi to their friends from the beach at desired times. Now that is cool! All this paid for and provided by TravelOnline.
Now with that said: Would an external link (boracaylive.com) to that be worth wild on the Boracay Page? As opposed to the obvious advertising external links that riddle the page. I think this should hold high precedence on the page. Please advise – Thoughts? It’s just a shame that such information is hidden.
- Of course as I thought - corrections have been changed back to dribble that means nothing - insignificant/non-informative/useless.***
- who is the administrator of the Boracay page and how can I contact him. I would like to chat about this! *****
- I just edited out about 90% of what you added. See don't tout and Wikivoyage:Tone for reasons. I also tried to add a link and found it blocked. I'd say a link to boracaylive is fine.
- Please sign your talk page posts by adding four tildes ~~~~ Pashley (talk) 14:36, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
- I dont understand dont tout ? I did not put any advertising. I just put history. How do you call what I wrote advertising when the whole page is riddled with advertising and external links. You have kiteboarding, travel agency websites, hotels, spa and it goes on and on? You have "Ariel's House Camera at Ariel's Bar" which is according to you not advertising but mentioning that TravelOnline owns the camera and the location is red coconut resort is advertising????? Ariel's House Camera at Ariel's Bar - Ariel House is the name of the resort and he adds a plug for Ariel Bar.
OR Nigi Nigi Too Camera at Nigi Nigi Too Resort - NIGI NIGI Too is the name of the Resort and the second time it is written is for advertising. NOW, Please explain why I cant have camera owned by TravelOnline and located at Red Coconut???? instead you have Boracay Beach Live - What's that? The website is boracylive.com not boracaybeachlive.com???? I would rather have TravelOnline Camera than Boracay Beach Live. I will make the correction to TravelOnline Camera ~~~~ User:Glade22
- I believe the blocked link is because its external. I think that the administrator has to do it. Are you the administrator? I prefer boracaylive.com but boracaylive.com/boracay-beach-live-camera/ is ok. I actually have some good history about the camera and Boracay for that matter. I have lived here for 20 years and I go to Boracay about 3 months out of the year. There is not a question I could not answer about Boracay. ANYWAYS - Just trying to help - not advertise. I already own the number 1 position for boracay camera or boracay beach camera in ALL search engines. There is no benefit here for me or TravelOnline. I just want to help!!!
I tried to put either or link on the word boracay beach live but it gets blocked. If you authorize the link and if you are administrator - can you put it or put what is legal. I want it done legally, so please do the link for me as administrator. Thanks ~~~~ User:Glade22
- I am a site administrator; we do not have admins for specific pages and there are a few dozen users with admin privileges for the site. I do not know why the link is blocked, but it is blocked for me too. I wonder if it is on the spam blacklist. Pashley (talk) 15:17, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
Hummm, Spam Blacklist??? How did that happen? How do you get it removed? Can you help on this? There are haters out there hehehe Hope you can solve this problem so that there is more meat on this section. I think it is very important for tourism. That is why I spent all that money and still do so people can see the beach. That camera alone is about $15,000. SEE what you can do. ~~~~ User:Glade22
- There are about a dozen Boracay domains at MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist; they are added to shut off spam advertising, but I think in this case someone added too many. I've removed boracaylive there and inserted a link here. Pashley (talk) 15:49, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks, You the man. Open-minded - I love it! Your correction look perfect. Great Work! Glade22
- I wonder why we should link to webcams in our guides. --Saqib (talk) 15:54, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
- I can answer this. You can only talk about something and write about it But seeing it and in LIVE STREAM is Amazing! As technology increases things like webcams must be considered in communicating a topic. The other added benefit is people can wave to their friends, see the beach and hear it to be relaxed or just get a quick weather report. Your flying to Boracay and you want to know the weather. Quick look and you know! Your page should have ALL information about Boracay.
- I wonder why we should link to webcams in our guides. --Saqib (talk) 15:54, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
EXAMPLE: There is a link on the page to Paulo Collection BodyWear - Now what does that got to do with Boracay. What does kiteboard school or shops have to do with Boracay. They are at all beaches in the world --- Not just Boracay. The only reason there listed AND WITH A LINK is because its in Boracay and the article is about Boracay.
- YES, webcams have nothing to do with Boracay BUT a BORACAY webcam does. - See my point? Glade22
- No, not really, because this is a travel guide, not a guide to help people see faraway places while they sit at home. I'd like to reopen this discussion and challenge people to explain why the "Boracay Beach Live Cameras" subsection shouldn't be deleted or at least replaced with a very brief (i.e., even briefer) summary. Ikan Kekek (talk) 11:34, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
Getting to Guide?
Boracay should be an obvious candidate for a destination of the month nomination since it is a major destination with a reasonably well-developed article. However, it cannot be nominated until it has Wikivoyage:Article status of Guide. It seems close, but what else is needed?
Certainly it should have a custom banner before being a DotM, arguably before promotion to Guide. I think it also needs an editing pass to clean up touting language and external links. Anything else? Pashley (talk) 17:14, 3 January 2014 (UTC)
- I made one pass, mostly fixing grammar or usage errors. It needs more. Pashley (talk) 17:55, 3 January 2014 (UTC)
- The eateries should be arranged into Budget, Mid-range and Splurge. Plus, the latter half of the article could have some nice pictures, now it looks like a novel. Listings for everything and geo coordinates would also be very useful, however I don't think that'd be absolutely mandatory for putting the Guide tag on it. When we want to make a Star of it comes formatting phone numbers and currency and such.
- We might consider classifying places geographically as well as or rather than by price range. Some of this is done already.
- I do not think Boracay would be a good DotM candidate until its sanitation/sewage problems are resolved and the threatened government shutdown of the whole island (see next section) either gets cancelled or has ended.
- Other beach destinations that might be better candidates are Panglao or Puerto Galera; both are rated Usable & would need some work before being good nominees, though. Pashley (talk) 06:37, 2 April 2018 (UTC)
Sewage & other problems
We do mention problems with raw sewage being dumped in the sea but that, or at least the government response, has gotten more severe of late. Duterte backs six-month Boracay shutdown Pashley (talk) 07:07, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- Boracay closed for 6 months starting April 26, says Roque Pashley (talk) 15:16, 4 April 2018 (UTC)
- That was a Philippine source. Here's an international one Philippine island a 'cesspool,' will close for 6 months. There is now a caution box at Boracay#Understand, but we need to track developments & perhaps update the page. Pashley (talk) 11:58, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
- Probably the closure notice box should be mentioned at the top of the page instead of just under the understand page? Also notify users that some info in the page might become outdated once Boracay is open again to the public since the government plans to demolish non-compliant businesses.Hariboneagle927 (talk) 10:21, 18 April 2018 (UTC)
They said six months when they closed it April 26, so re-opening might be soon; w:2018 Boracay closure and redevelopment says Oct 26.
Web search turns up other stories Telegraph Philippine source ‘Where will tourists stay if only a third of Boracay reopens?’ which say Oct 26, but with only about 30% of businesses open. Some stories talk of a limit on number of visitors.
- @Pashley: Boracay reopened again last October 26, but numerous bans have been in place, such as bans on partying and fire dancing. --TagaSanPedroAko (talk) 02:46, 29 October 2018 (UTC)
A friend saw a blog post claiming that since re-opening the entire island has been declared smoke-free. Neither smoking nor cigarette sales are allowed anywhere.