|Babel user information|
|Users by language|
I am just an average guy who is fascinated by all crowdsourcing projects on the internet. I try to support as much as time allows - especially on OpenStreetMap and Wikivoyage.
Helpful tools created by me
- Wikivoyage Districtifier - Quick creation of district and region overview maps.
- Wikidata Extractor - Quick creation of district summaries. Here is an example of what this tool can do.
- Mapmask <-> GeoJSON Converter - A script which converts GeoJSON to Mapmask and vice versa.
Manual creation of district overview maps
Some additional explanation
In short there are two options to create a district overview map:
- 1a. geojson.io only
- Go to geojson.io, draw the lines/polygons, give them the desired color and title. Copy the GeoJSON file and proceed to step 2. A certain disadvantage with this solution is, that you cannot merge nodes. So if you have 2 polygons right next to each other, they won't be perfectly aligned. With the solution in 1b this problem is nonexistent.
- 1b. JOSM & geojson.io (shown in the video above)
- Use JOSM to draw polygons as desired and export as .geojson. Important: The export of polygons to .geojson only works as expected in JOSM, if the polygons have a describing tag assigned to it, which is normally applied to an area (e.g. landuse=residential)! You can assign the title tag to each polygon/line right in JOSM, if you don't want to do it in geojson.io (e.g. title=[[Amsterdam/Noord|Noord]]).
- 2. Upload to Commons
- Create a new map in Wikimedia Commons and paste in the GeoJSON created in 1.
- 3. Create mapmasks
- In order to grey out the irrelevant parts of a district article map you can paste the GeoJSON from 2. into the tool Mapmask <-> GeoJSON Converter to create the mapmask code.
My current projects
- Rio de Janeiro - Rework the See and Do sections. Maybe best is to archive the current text and start from scratch. Link to district listings as described here.
- Rome - Dynamic map of Rome with
self-made map in CommonsWikidata items.
- Tokyo - Draw
Harajuku, Ōimachi, Gotanda, Asakusa, Ebisuand Ueno. Either directly in OSM or upload GeoJSON to Commons.
- Slovakia - Copy map with Wikidata items to discussion section of Slovakia & 3 subarticles.
Bangkok - Dynamic map of Bangkok with self-made map in Commons.- San Francisco - Dynamic map of San Francisco with self-made map in Commons.- Lisbon - Dynamic map of Lisbon with Wikidata items.- Budapest - Article of Budapest/South Pest and Budapest/East Pest still have to be created.- Berlin - Clean-up overview article. Remove specific listings or link to district article.- Tokyo - Dynamic map of Tokyo with Wikidata items.- Copenhagen - Dynamic map of Copenhagen with self-made map in Commons.- Buenos Aires - New setup of districts, which makes more sense for travellers.- Delhi - Dynamic map of Delhi with Wikidata items. Sync with OSM ongoing currently.- Madrid - Dynamic map of Madrid with self-made map in Commons & Wikidata items.- Beijing - Dynamic map of Beijing with Wikidata items. Keep static maps.- Prague - Dynamic map of Prague with Wikidata items.- Milan - Dynamic map of Milan with self-made map in Commons.- Singapore - Dynamic map of Singapore with self-made map in Commons.- Saint Petersburg - Dynamic map of Saint Petersburg with self-made map in Commons.- Seoul - Dynamic map of Seoul with Wikidata items- Dubai - Dynamic map of Dubai with self-made map in Commons.- Munich - Dynamic map of Munich with self-made map in Commons.- Moscow - Dynamic map of Moscow with self-made map in Commons- Saved on the talk page. Up to the community to use it or not. Barcelona - Dynamic map of Barcelona with Wikidata items- Amsterdam - Dynamic map of Amsterdam with self-made map in Commons- Hamburg - Dynamic map of Hamburg with Wikidata items- Kuala Lumpur - New setup of districts, which makes more sense for travellers. Creation of dynamic map-