To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub. If you are familiar with Wikipedia, take a look over some of the differences here. Globe-trotter (talk) 13:46, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
Hi Benny, thank you very much that you take care of our Solo article, which has loads of potential to grow. I saw that you made some Wikipedia style changes that contradict with our policies. Please read our link policy. We only accept primary links, so the external links in the food section needs to be deleted. Also you add way to many food pictures. If you want to write you can start a new travel topic article about food from the region but i doesn't belong in such detail in the city article. Please have a look at Style to learn a bit and see Welcome, Wikipedians to see the differences to WP. Regards, jan (talk) 15:06, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for the heads-up. I'll clean the food section. Bennylin (talk) 15:11, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Please put the comments about the article on the article talk page instead. Thanks. Bennylin (talk) 15:23, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Is it OK to have a collage on the "Understand" section?
- In general, understand should help travellers to get an idea what they expect. Hilversum is a good example better have one or two really good pictures instead of five medicore ones. Selection is tough but well appreciated.
- Is it OK to have external links on the "See" and "Eat" sections?
- Of course, e.g. to Museums, restaurant listings. To make an easy example: Direct link to the restaurant homepage yes, link to aggregator page with huge loads of listings no
- Is it OK to add a map of the city?
- Of course! It is very much welcome! If you lack a source, openstreetmaps.org or if your are ambitious Wikivoyage:Dynamic maps Expedition is a must for you
- Is it OK to add a calendar of annual events?
- Yep, best in a table
- I'm trying to incorporate images to add visual attractiveness to the page. Do tell me if I put too much of them :)
- No worries, it will happen;)
Good that people are being nice to you benny - you are overloading the article...
menurut pendapat saya - terlalu banyak... most of the food and drink list will mean literally nothing to an outsider you are falling into the old trap of 'lists' for the sake of them...
Just lifting the kantor turis list of calendar of events - and using caps - you can do better than that! as jc said - try a table - and rather than giving the 2014 date, it would be better to separately identify the floating events that tie into the islamic/javanese calendar - versus the events the government invent to fit with the western calendar...
As for photo gallery and overloaded annotation for Go Next - that is way out of what go next is about....
Same as on wp en - a sense of balance is needed to decide where some extra info is really of interest to a tourist or not...
Apart from that, well its a bit like trying to explain the difference between wp en, and here - the traveller comes first, not the editors enthusiasm to over sell the details of the city... take care, and see you in Hong Kong? sats (talk) 17:23, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Pak, I'll see you in HK, poke me if I didn't notice you :) Bennylin (talk) 17:27, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Honestly benny, I personally would rather see articles about other locations being improved rather than solo expanded any further... you must remember the jokes the american academics in the 1970s used to make when people werent listening... the two small princely cities who called themselves the nail of the world/universe and the centre of everything, as if the rest of java didnt exist... but hey - let the other wikivoyage editors encourage you, I will simply say - try other places without getting too carried away with solo!!! sats (talk) 17:35, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- Well worth looking at other articles of places in Java - and seeing how they have been done before you have added/edited - I think you will find that the Go Next detail that you have added, rerally is not needed - the section is simply a link location - not small essays of the attractions. Anyway, far too late... see you in HK. sats (talk) 17:42, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
- maaf, maaf - but https://en.wikivoyage.org/w/index.php?title=Indonesia&curid=15592&diff=2362560&oldid=2362484 ??? please read the main principles of what wikivoyage is about - versus other things - like wp en, or wp id, etc. Think of the 'traveller' first - what are they to make of the 'richnes' of Indonesia from the montage? is it going to help them in their travels? travellers from outside of indonesia want travel info... sats (talk) 17:54, 30 July 2013 (UTC)
Keep in mind that a pagebanner can only be used on one article. Also, it must reflect the district at hand (so the banner of Hong Kong/Outlying Islands must show a picture taken on the islands on them, not the skyscrapers of Central). Globe-trotter (talk) 14:43, 9 August 2013 (UTC)