To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
If you are a Wikipedian then you may notice some differences in policies and the style of our articles. These include:
- NPOV → be fair (not quite the same thing!)
- be bold → plunge forward
- Village pump → travellers' pub
- External links → We do not use a separate external links section, but incorporate primary links only into the text itself.
- sandbox → graffiti wall
- stub notes → Article status notes
Hello THO, I have nominated you for temporary admin here following a discussion with LtPowers, see User talk:LtPowers#Temporary admins and Wikivoyage:Administrator_nominations. I hope you accept as you'd be a real asset in this migration process and so that I could have somebody to quickly bug when I need something done that's outside of my remit :) Snowolf How can I help? 23:23, 11 November 2012 (UTC)
- Since there were no objections, and since many of the cleanup tasks you've outlined would be better handled by someone with deep Wikimedia experience, I've granted you admin rights on a temporary basis per Wikivoyage:Administrator nominations#User:Thehelpfulone (for temporary admin). On a less bureaucratic note, many thanks for all of your work helping to get the site up and running! -- Ryan • (talk) • 18:54, 12 November 2012 (UTC)
Congrats on your promotion, Thehelpfulone! I don't think you got a clear response from in the Pub, but copying and pasting the code onto MediaWiki:Sharedupload-desc-here for the nicer Commons box should be fine. I don't see why it needed a template in the first place if that's the only place it will be used. The issue was around creating templates, as the community seems to have a long-standing rule that any and every addition to the Template: space must be discussed on the Pub first. I might eventually propose a relook at the Templates policy, as with the pace the site is growing, the bureaucratic discussions can't keep up with template creation! But feel free to beat me to the discussion. :) JamesA >talk 06:56, 14 November 2012 (UTC)
File mass deletion script
Hello! Any chance you could run your file mass deletion script here, to expunge the old file description pages? Depending on your coding framework, you could run an API query like this and delete all files where imagerepository attribute == "". Thanks, This, that and the other (talk) 10:24, 19 December 2012 (UTC)
- Hi! Yes I saw the discussion on the pub - I'll reply there to keep the discussion in one place. Thehelpfulone 20:12, 19 December 2012 (UTC)
Your bot has admin rights
- Unfortunately, file description pages for files on Commons (like File:Neum.JPG) have not been deleted... This, that and the other (talk) 00:14, 29 December 2012 (UTC)
- As far as I can see, all of those files with imagerepository="shared" are Commons files with a local description page. This, that and the other (talk) 00:23, 29 December 2012 (UTC)
Message re Wikivoyage mobile
- Sorry I'll let you keep tinkering, didn't mean to jump in at the same time – cacahuate talk 02:10, 14 January 2013 (UTC)
Upload files, Upload Wizard?
Administrator status (Official Notice)
- A similar message was also sent via e-mail.
Thanks for your service as a Wikivoyage administrator. As you may be aware, our Wikivoyage:Administrators policy indicates that administrators who have not edited on the English Wikivoyage in over two years should have their administrator flags removed. This is for account security purposes, not a reflection of a loss of trust or any disappointment.
As such, we will be removing your administrator flag on December 1, 2015. Should you wish to retain your status, simply come on back and make an edit! That resets the clock. And if you ever decide to return to Wikivoyage as an active editor, your administrator flag can be restored by request.
If you have any questions or concerns, let me know.