- From the east/west, use Route 22 to Route 145 N./MacArthur Rd.
- From the north/south, use Route 145.
- From the north/south, use Route 33 south to Route 22 west to Route 145 N./MacArthur Rd.
- From the north/south, use Interstate 476 (Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike) to Route 22 east to Route 145 N./MacArthur Rd.
The primary and most convenient point of airline entry to Whitehall and Lehigh Valley is Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE). Various airlines operate out of this airport. Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) is a major international airport that is about 70 miles away. Since it is a hub for several national airlines, it is easy to obtain non-stop flights to Philadelphia International compared to ABE and usually cheaper.
Whitehall is not a walking town.
If you don't have a car of your own, the easiest way to get around is by LANTA (Lehigh And Northampton Transportation Authority) Buses.
There's the Ironton Rail Trail for hiking, biking, jogging. Connected to the Ironton Rail Trail is the Whitehall Parkway, over 100 acres to fish, hike, watch birds and even see some historical buildings. [dead link]
Whitehall is primarily a shopping and dining town, centered around MacArthur Road. However, there are a few "hidden" things to do:
- [dead link]Roller skating. At Skateaway/Whitehall Family Skating Center just off MacArthur Rd on Lehigh St
- Ice skating. At The Rink/Lehigh Valley Ice Arena
- [dead link]Bowling. At Jordan Lanes
- There's Wisecrackers Comedy Club at the Ramada hotel but must be 21 to enter
- Lehigh Valley Mall, Rts. 22 & 145 N. (Route 145 N./MacArthur Road exit off Route 22), ☎ . Anchored by JCPenney, Macy's and Boscov's and includes over 140 stores. Indoor and outdoor shopping. New outdoor stores include Coach, Barnes & Noble, and Apple
While the Lehigh Valley Mall is the big boy on the block, next door is the Whitehall Mall, which is anchored by a Sears and Kohls. There's also a Border's Books, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Michael's Arts & Crafts and a few others in a small strip just outside the Whitehall Mall.
Moving north on MacArthur Road, you'll find another shopping center on the left side, Whitehall Square, which has a Sports Authority, Redner's Supermarket, Petsmart, Staples and some more clothing and furniture stores.
Continuing north, on the right will be a shopping center anchored by a Walmart, Sam's Club, Burlington Coat Factory, Dick's Sporting Goods and Old Navy. On the left will be MacArthur Towne Centre with a Kmart and Lowe's. Further up north, there is a Weis Markets, which is not in a shopping center.
Aside from the store mentioned, there are small shops of all shapes and sizes selling everything from mattresses to pet supplies to cars up and down MacArthur Road. The best way to see what's there is to literally drive the main drag.
- Buca di Beppo, 714 Grape Street, ☎ . Italian cuisine. Lunch and dinner. Kid's menu available.
- Dunderbak's, 121 Lehigh Valley Mall (inside the Lehigh Valley Mall), ☎ . Where every day is Oktoberfest.
- Fiesta Olé, 1808 MacArthur Road. Mexican cuisine.
- [dead link]Spice India, 2407 Mickley Ave, ☎ . Indian cuisine. Lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch available. BYOB. Outdoor seating available.
- Sakura Japanese Steakhouse, 2180 MacArthur Rd, ☎ . Hibachi style or sit down dining with a sushi bar.
Due to the abundance of shopping, restaurants line the main drag of Whitehall, MacArthur Road, and shopping centers. Dining options include:
- Fast food chains including Burger King, KFC, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Chuck E. Cheese's, Chick-fil-A and McDonald's.
- Other national chain restaurants including Perkins, Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Chili's, Friendly's, Panera Bread, Longhorn Steakhouse, Old Country Buffet
- Still more restaurants include City View Diner, Bonefish Grill, Bravo! (italian), Whitehall Diner
- Ramada, 1500 MacArthur Rd (Route 145 North/MacArthur Road exit off Route 22), ☎ . Newly renovated. Across from the Lehigh Valley Mall. Restaurant and comedy club onsite.
As far as I know, this is the only hotel in Whitehall. But, luckily, there are plenty of hotels just two exits east off Route 22 (the Airport Road exit). Check out the listings on the Allentown page.
Other Lehigh Valley locations
- Allentown - home of Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom - 2 miles
- Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) - home of the Sands Casino Resort - 10 miles
- Easton - home of The Crayola FACTORY - 18 miles
- Bangor (Pennsylvania) - 32 miles
- Emmaus - 9 miles
- Fogelsville - 11 miles
- Nazareth (Pennsylvania) - 16 miles
- Hellertown - 14 miles