Hellertown is a borough in the Lehigh Valley Region of Pennsylvania. Much smaller than the region's main municipalities- Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton, Hellertown is located south of South Bethlehem. Two two municipalities are separated by South Mountain, making Hellertown the perfect place for to stay for area visitors who want to be slightly removed from the city atmosphere.
- From the east/west, take Interstate 78 to Exit 67 (Hellertown/Bethlehem), and make a left at the stoplight, regardless of what direction you were traveling.
- From the south, there are two options. One option is to take Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (North); that has an exit in nearby Allentown, and Hellertown can be accessed by taking the turnpike to the Lehigh Valley Interchange, and getting on Interstate 78 west from there. Another option is to take Route 309 North to Interstate 78 west, and follow to exit 67.
- From the north, there are also two options. Once again, the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike can be taken to the Lehigh Valley Interchange, and from there take Interstate 78 west to exit 67. The other option is to take Route 33 South (which runs from Interstate 80 in Mount Pocono to Interstate 78 in Easton) to Interstate 78 east, then exiting at #67 for Hellertown/Bethlehem.
The primary and most convenient point of airline entry to Hellertown and Lehigh Valley is Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE IATA). Various airlines operate out of this airport. Philadelphia International Airport (PHL IATA) is a major international airport that is about 70 miles away. Since it is a hub for several national airlines, it is easy to obtain non-stop flights to Philadelphia International compared to ABE and usually cheaper.
Hellertown's Main Street is very convenient and walkable. The length of the street encompasses most of what Hellertown has to offer, and is a short walk, being only a little over three miles in length.
The town is also served by LANTA (Lehigh And Northampton Transportation Authority) Buses via the Westgate/South Bethlehem Line (Route 215). Bus routes and stop schedules are accessible online .
For most residents in Hellertown, and the Lehigh Valley area, a car is a great option, if not the only one, and can be rented through LVIA.
- Lost River Caverns. Are the main tourist destination of the town. Located underneath the town, the caverns are open to the public to be toured. One can learn about rock formations of the area and purchase their own samples of these rocks at the gift shop.
- For great panoramic views of Lehigh Valley, take a drive or hike up South Mountain, located on Lehigh University's campus. The mountain separates South Bethlehem from Hellertown and boasts the Bethlehem Star, illuminating the night sky. One can see the star from most places in Bethlehem and is a great tool for navigating the town.
- Saucon Valley Farmers Market. Runs from May to November at the borough's Water Street Park every Sunday morning from 9am to 1pm. It features produce and gift-type accents from all around the Lehigh Valley.
- The borough has many parks to enjoy, the main of which being Dimmick Park. The park entrance is located at Depot & Durham Streets in Hellertown, but the parking lot is just a few feet down Durham Street. This park houses a community pool (open June through September, $2-$5 daily admission), many baseball fields, a pavilion, stage, public restrooms and a playground. Hellertown's other notable park is the Water Street Park, located (of course) on West Water Street, between Front Street and Creek Road. It houses another pavilion, walking trails, a bike park, a playground, and a volleyball sand court area. Other, smaller parks in the borough include Third Avenue Park (basketball courts and playground) and the East High Street Playground. The "Grist Mill", as it is locally known, also houses a number of baseball fields on West Walnut Street.
- Skiing. This is a popular activity in nearby mountains. Most skiing areas are closed seasonally, since snow can usually only be manufactured from about November to April. Bear Creek Mountain Resort and Blue Mountain Ski Area are a short drive away in Macungie and Palmerton, respectively. Larger, world-famous ski resorts, including Jack Frost & Big Boulder, are located in the Poconos, about 1 hour drive north on Route 33 to Interstate 80.
- The summer provides a great opportunity to float down the Delaware river through Bucks County River Country. In Jim Thorpe, River Adventures Inc. will take you white-water rafting down the Lehigh River. There are numerous lakes, creeks, rivers, ponds, and canals for water sports.
Eat & Drink
- Braveheart Highland Pub, 430 Main Street, ☎ . Hailed as being the "only authentic Scottish Pub in Lehigh Valley."
- Ricardo's Tavern House, Main & Penn Streets, ☎ . Tues-Sat: 11am-10pm, Sun: 12pm-9pm. Just the "Tavern House", as it is known to locals, serves up a hometown atmosphere with a Mexican flare. $9-15.
- Beer Mussels, Main & Bachman Streets, ☎ . Mon-Wed: 4pm-12am, Thu-Sat: 11am-2am, Sun: Noon-12am. The local, hometown bar with good food. $3-15.
- The Matey's Crossroads Hotel, Main & High Streets, ☎ . Mon-Sat: 11am-10pm. "Crossroads", as it is known by locals, has been voted "Best Cheesesteak" in the Lehigh Valley in the past, and is known for its inimitable pizza. $3-15.
- Vassi's Drive In, Main St & Kichline Ave, ☎ . Tues-Sun: 11am-9pm, Changes in Summer. Vassi's echoes a 1950s malt shop by featuring a tantalizing selection of ice cream in a quaint and casual setting. The menu is equally minute, but a few key staples, including hot dogs, burgers, gyros and cheesesteaks, keep patrons coming back for more. $2-8.
- Many pizzerias and Italian Restaurants also line Hellertown's Main Street. Local names include Rocco's Pizzeria and Italian Restaurant (Near East Thomas Avenue), Antonio's Pizza (at West Depot Street), DiMaios Italian Restaurant (in Shoppes at Hellertown Plaza at McAdoo Avenue/Polk Valley Road), and Feasta Pizza (in Creekside Marketplace Plaza just outside of Hellertown near Meadows Road).
- A wealth of restaurants can be found just five minutes away from Hellertown in Bethlehem. Bethlehem Brew Works, Starter's Pub, and Godfrey Daniel's Coffeehouse are hot spots for area college students and adults alike.
The closest hotel is the Holiday Inn Express, technically located in South Bethlehem, but actually located only half a block away from the border with Hellertown on Cherry Lane.
- Lehigh Valley Covention and Visitors Bureau, www.LehighValleyPA.org
- Bethlehem Visitor Center, 505 Main Street, Bethlehem, +1 610 691-6055. Hours: 10AM - 5PM Tuesday - Saturday; 12PM - 5PM Sunday; closed Monday.
Other Lehigh Valley locations
- Allentown - home of Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom - 10 miles
- Bethlehem - home of the Sands Casino Resort - 5 miles
- Easton - home of The Crayola FACTORY - 12 miles
- Bangor - 28 miles
- Emmaus - 13 miles
- Fogelsville - 19 miles
- Nazareth - 15 miles
- Whitehall - 12 miles
Regional cities and locations
|Routes through Hellertown|
|Harrisburg ← Allentown ←||W E||→ Bethlehem → New York City|