Here we determine which articles are included on the Main Page as Featured events (FE).
The aim of the "Featured event" section is to highlight how active and current Wikivoyage is by featuring a current event on the Main Page that changes every 2-4 weeks. There are thousands of events going on around the world in any week, so we focus on multinational events.
Choosing events is challenging, especially where there is overlap in dates. There are lots of multinational, multisport events that could fill up the whole calendar. We aim to have a mix of events each year including cultural and religious events.
The provisional list below is here for discussion. It provides:
- the period of would appear on the Main Page | a description of the event | its location | and the dates of the event.
Descriptions and images can be added as they are found.
23 Feb-7 Mar: Winter Universiade 2019, in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, from 2-12 March
7-21 Mar: Special Olympics World Summer Games, in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
22 Mar-21 Apr: Easter travel
22 Apr-18 May: The 64th Eurovision song contest in Tel Aviv, Israel, on 18 May
19 May-13 Jun: The 12th Cricket World Cup hosted by England and Wales from 30 May-14 July
14-30 Jun: WorldPride in New York City from 1-30 June
1-10 Jul: 2019 Summer Universiade Naples, Italy
11-20 Jul: 2019 Pacific Games Apia, Samoa.
21 Jul-17 Aug: Wikimania, Stockholm, Sweden
18-30 Aug: Pan American/Parapan American Games, Lima, Peru
1-15 Sep: Toronto International Film Festival, Toronto, Canada
16 Sep-5 Oct: Oktoberfest, Munich, Germany
6 Oct-2 Nov: Rugby World Cup, Japan
Proposed future events
- The 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall
- Berlin, Germany, will host exhibitions, lectures, performances and other events to Berlin celebrate the anniversary. On 9 November 1989 the border between West Berlin and East Germany was opened, and during the following days and weeks the wall started being torn down.
21 Nov-10 Dec:
- Southeast Asian Games
- 9,800 athletes from 11 nations will compete in 56 sports at venues around the Philippines from 29 November to 10 December.
- Christmas markets? (Russians, and I think some other Orthodox Christians, use the Julian calendar which means Christmas will take place 2 weeks later and as such Christmas markets there will stay open until New Year and beyond)
Seasonal/recurring events that can affect travellers'plans such as Ramadan, Christmas, and Golden Week should be mentioned during the respective period every year, e.g., "Ramadan takes place 5 May-4 June and could affect your travel in predominantly Muslim regions".
- 1 May-4 June | Travelling during Ramadan | 5 May-4 June
- 4-10 Feb, 22 Apr-7 May, 1-7 Oct | Golden Week |
- December 1-31 | Christmas and New Year travel | 25 Dec
- World Nomad Games, Turkey
- 2020 World Pond Hockey Championship, Plaster Rock, Canada,, February 13 - 16, 2020
- Arctic Winter Games, Whitehorse, Canada, March 15 - 21, 2020
- 2020 Invictus Games May 9–16, 2020 in The Hague, Netherlands
- Summer Olympics, Tokyo, Japan, 24 July to 9 August 2020
- Expo 2020 in Dubai, 20 Oct 2020 to 10 Apr 2021
- 2020 International Ice Hockey Federation World Championship, in Zurich and Lausanne, Switzerland, 8–24 May
- UEFA Euro 2020, in 12 cities in 12 European countries from 12 June to 12 July
- Cannes Film Festival, Cannes, France, May
- Diwali November 14
- Travelling during Ramadan, 24 April – 23 May 2020
- Pan Arab Games, Baghdad, Iraq,
- Maccabiah Games
- Jeux de la Francophonie, Kinshasa, DR Congo, 23 July - 1 August
- Mediterranean Games, Oran, Algeria
- 2021 Island Games, Guernsey, UK,
- Islamic Solidarity Games, Istanbul, Turkey,
- Games of the Small States of Europe, Andorra
- World Games, July 15 to 25, 2021, Birmingham, United States