A thriving town, Abergavenny prides itself as a gateway to South Wales and the eastern gateway to the Brecon Beacons National Park where you can enjoy a relaxing short break or longer holiday amidst beautiful countryside. The town itself nestles within the beautiful Usk Valley at the point where the river emerges from amongst the mountains to flow through lowland Monmouthshire. The mass of the Black Mountains and their highly individual outliers of Sugar Loaf and Skirrid (Welsh: Ysgyryd Fawr) form a spectacular northern backdrop to the town. Along with Blorenge to the south, the opportunities for walkers are hugely varied.
- 1 Abergavenny Castle. Dates back to 1087 and makes for a fascinating visit.
- Abergavenny Museum is set in the grounds of the Norman Castle. If it’s a nice day, take a picnic, otherwise simply learn about the history of this historic market town.
- Abergavenny Food Festival. it stands to reason that the number of eateries on offer is more than adequate. From fancy restaurants to old-fashioned pubs, from bars and cafes to takeways, there is something offer to suit every taste.
One of the most well-known markets in Wales, Abergavenny’s Tuesday market has more than 200 stalls offering a huge array of goods. In addition there is a Friday and Saturday market and the occasional craft fair, flea market and antique fair.
Abergavenny has a thriving nightlife of pubs and bars
The Kings Arms: Great social spot in the town centre. Generally quite quiet during the week but much busier on a Friday and Saturday night, often with live entertainment. Home to the Tudor Microbrewery serving a selection of local ales.
- 1 The Skirrid Mountain Inn (few miles north of Abergavenny), ☎ . claimed to be the oldest pub in Wales
- 1 Black Mountain Lodge, Hereford Road, Pandy, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The Black Mountain Lodge is sited at the Old Pandy Inn, a 17th Century Country Inn some 4 miles north of Abergavenny, 15 miles south of Hereford at the foot of the Black Mountains. The Offa's Dyke Path is some 400 yards away.
- 2 The Angel Hotel, 15 Cross St., ☎ .