The climate is mild and the central position in the Gulf of Castellammare offers some landscapes characterized by magnificent horizons from Mount Bonifato. The surrounding countryside gives a wonderful landscape of waving hills full of vineyards and if you are at Alcamo Marina it is still possible to behold sand dunes. The joint presence of town, mountain, country, beach and seaside makes the territory full of natural alternatives.
When to go
Alcamo is practically full of opportunities all the year round: in winter you can take advantage of Christmas events to visit the monuments in the town centre and the places of its "movida" (pubs, bars and pizzerias in particular), while in summer it is possible to walk along the promenade full of very good pizzerias too. It is also a good idea to visit the town in June so you can take part in the celebrations in honour of the Madonna of Miracles (Most Holy Mary of Miracles) or in spring if you wish to take advantage of the mild climate and visit the Nature Reserve and the ancient ruins on Mount Bonifato.
Though people think that Alcamo were founded by Arabs during the Middle Ages, the excavations in the surrounding territory confirm that there were already settlements near the present town in prehistoric times. Before the arrival of Arabs there were two villages: the first one, Longuro, was situated on Mount Bonifato, while the second, called Longarico, was near the present built-up areas.
When the Arabs arrived at the village, they saw it was semi-desert and so they founded Alcamo which was initially inhabited by Muslims. Afterwards the town passed under the dominion of Normans and Swabians. In time the old mosques were substituted by Catholic churches and only the ancient Arab fountain, still running, and the name of the town, whose meaning is uncertain, remained.
The built-up areas became a well fortified feud thanks to the construction of the Castle of the Counts of Modica and the walls surrounding the present town centre.
In the following centuries Alcamo progressively developed from the cultural point of view, both for literature (whose most important representative is the poet Cielo d’Alcamo) and the artistic production; in fact there are very important sculptures and paintings inside its churches, especially in the Cathedral (Chiesa Madre) where an Art Museum has been opened in order to collect some of these masterpieces.
Owing to its particular geographical position (with Mount Bonifato in the south and the Gulf of Castellammare in the north) a lot of streets in Alcamo have an inclination from the mountain, in the south, towards the sea, in the north. Mount Bonifato and the coastline are also two excellent points of reference because they can be seen from any place in town.
Corso 6 Aprile is very important: it is known by its citizens as “il Corso”(or "lu Cassaru" in dialect). This main street starts from The Church of Madonna of Graces (Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie, called "Munna 'Razia" in dialect) and finishes at Porta Palermo; on the way you will also pass the Saints Paul and Bartholomew’s baroque church with its rich interior and Piazza Ciullo, which is full of young people at night. In Piazza Ciullo (called “the Square” or “la Chiazza” in dialect), you can see the Town Hall, the Church of the Jesuits' College (Chiesa del Collegio) which is in the middle of the square and has a big round clock, Saint Olivia’s Church, restaurants and sandwich bars. Going towards Chiesa del Collegio and turning on the left, you will arrive at Piazza della Repubblica, where you can admire the Castle of Counts of Modica and find also a large free car park.
Near Piazza Ciullo the main street (Corso) has a sudden narrowing: starting from this point it is called the “Narrow Corso” (“Cassaru Strittu" in dialect). The Cathedral (Chiesa Madre) is here; if you go straight on you will reach the Church of Saint Francis of Assisi and finally the end of the Main Street coinciding with Porta Palermo which opens on Piazza Bagolino, called the "Bastione" (or "lu Bastiuni"in dialect) owing to its high walls of defence surrounding the square. This is delimited by a sidewalk from where we can admire,above all at sunset, a very striking view together with the coastline of Alcamo Marina. Going down Piazza Bagolino, after two turnings, we get to a large square where we can admire the ancient arab fountain. On its right there is a paved pathway leading to the Sanctuary of the Most Holy Mary of Miracles, which can be reached on foot through this paved road, or by car through a narrow street nearby.
Starting from Piazza Pittore Renda (Munna 'Razia), with Corso 6 Aprile behind, you can go round a roundabout (with the small Church of Our Lady of Graces in its middle) and arrive at Viale Italia which ends with another roundabout (known as "La Rotonda" par excellence). If you go left you will get to Viale Europa where there are several interesting bars in which it is possible to taste some typical local recipes. By taking one of the left streets (Via Monte Bonifato in particular) you will arrive at the Nature Reserve on Mount Bonifato, while if you go ahead you will get to a crossroads and by turning left you will first meet the Church of Saint Mary of Jesus (Chiesa di Santa Maria di Gesù) and then a small roundabout with a statue of Saint Francis in the middle. From this roundabout you can go to Piazza Bagolino (by turning right and through Via Florio) and to Piazza della Repubblica turning on the left.
- 1 Tourist's Office and URP (Citizens' Relations Office), Corso 6 Aprile,60 (near Piazza Ciullo, opposite the Basilica), ☎ , , toll-free: 800 011 539, fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Mon-Fri 09:00-13:00, Mon 16:00-18:00.
- 2 Palermo-Punta Raisi Airport (Aeroporto Falcone e Borsellino), ☎ . You can reach Alcamo, at about 42 km, through the A29 Motorway (towards Trapani, junction for Alcamo Est). The airport is linked by train or shuttle bus to Alcamo. You can get the http://www.rome2rio.com/it/s/Aeroporto-Palermo-PMO/Balestrate-Italia train going from Punta Raisi to Castellammare del Golfo railway station. From this airport there are home and international flights and several low cost connections; many touristic and charter flights in summer.
- 3 Trapani-Birgi Airport (Aeroporto Vincenzo Florio), contrada Birgi, Trapani (54 km from Alcamo), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can arrive to Alcamo through the A29 Motorway Trapani-Punta Raisi and going out at the junction for Alcamo. Shuttle bus services are carried out by Terravision and Salemi for Trapani and Palermo. From and to Trapani Birgi there are home, European and low cost" flights. Seasonal touristic flights also in summer.
There are also taxi and shuttle bus services from Palermo and Trapani airports as far as Alcamo (for information phone: Gabellone Viaggi e turismo, Viale Italia, 31, phone: +39 0924 505955). .
- (from Naples,Civitavecchia,Leghorn,Genoa,Tunis to Palermo), ☎ . 08:00-21:00.
- Linea Tirrenia (Cagliari-Trapani), ☎ .
- Linea Grimaldi (Tunis-Trapani), ☎ .
- Linea Ustica Lines (Leghorn-Trapani), ☎ .
- Siremar (Egadi islands and Pantelleria), ☎ .
- Traghetti delle Isole, ☎ .
- Ustica Lines (Hovercraft for the Egadi Islands, Pantelleria, Ustica and Naples), ☎ .
From Palermo you can reach Alcamo by taking the Autostrada A-29 Palermo-Mazara del Vallo (Motorway) as far as the junction Alcamo Est (about 64 km). From Trapani by taking the Autostrada A-29 towards Palermo and as far as the motorway junction Alcamo Ovest (about 52 km). Between the junction Alcamo Est and Alcamo Ovest there is another motorway junction for the neighbouring town of Castellammare del Golfo.
These motorways have two lanes and an emergency carriageway; people don't have to pay any toll but there are no petrol stations on the motorways themselves. However, you can refuel in the towns near the motorways.
The nearest railway stations are Alcamo Diramazione (at about 7 Km from the town, near the junction Alcamo ovest) and the station of Castellammare del Golfo (located at Alcamo Marina, about 9 km from the town centre).
Alcamo is also served by the bus service Segesta Autolinee (connecting it to Palermo,Trapani,Partinico and Terrasini) and by Tarantola Bus for the near Castellammare del Golfo, Calatafimi Segesta and Vita.
- AST (Azienda Siciliana Trasporti), via Virgilio, 20 Trapani, ☎ , fax: .
- Autoservizi Lumia (Agrigento-Trapani), ☎ , fax: .
- Autoservizi Salemi (Roma-Trapani), Via Salemi,97 Marsala, ☎ .
- Segesta autolinee (Palermo-Trapani), Via Libertà, 171 Palermo, ☎ , , .
- Tarantola bus, Via Marina Petrolo, 16 Castellammare del Golfo, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
In the town centre you can easily move on foot, leaving the car in the large free car parks at Piazza Bagolino and Piazza della Repubblica. If you want to visit the near hamlet of Alcamo Marina or the Nature Reserve on Monte Bonifato, it is possible to use a taxi or car rent services. As you arrive inside the Nature Reserve you have to leave your vehicle in the car park at the entrance of the Reserve (next to Funtanazza and the picnic area) and go on foot if you want to visit the ruins of the Ventimiglia Castle, the Sanctuary of Most Holy Mary from the Height and the remains of the old settlement.
- 4 Io guido, Piazza Bagolino, ☎ 848 810000 (extra charge), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org;. ONE WAY or standard.bookings. With access to ZTL areas and no limits to antipollution measure, free parking on blue areas, authorized to transit in the lanes reserved to public transport.
- Agosta.info, Via Avolio,12 (Near Via Kennedy), ☎ , , .
- 5 Taxi Transer, Via Magarotto, 2 (Corso dei Mille, left turning), ☎ , .
- Nst Taxi & Transfer, Contrada Foce Molinello, 844, ☎ , . Taxi, shuttle service to and from Trapani Birgi Airport and San Vito Lo Capo
- Serviziotaxi, Piazza della Repubblica, 104, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Taxi Service, Piazza Della Repubblica, ☎ , , .
Car rental service:
- Autonoleggio del Golfo, ☎ .
- Gabellone Tatiana Trasporti, Viale Italia, 31, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LPR rent a car, Corso 6 Aprile, 358, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Noleggio Pullman Reginella, ☎ , . Bus and minibus
- 1 Arab fountain, Via Discesa Santuario (near Piazza Bagolino). It is an ancient structure still working and built during the period in which the town was dominated by Arabs.
- 2 Arab Watchtower (Torre Calandrino), Corso 6 Aprile (next to the Church of Our Lady's Aid, opposite the Mother Church). Ancient watchtower built by Saracens at about 980 A.D. Inside it there are a characteristic stone winding staircase with 85 steps and a big water cistern.
- 3 Funtanazza, On Mount Bonifato. A very old architectonic work on Mount Bonifato which was probably used as a water reservoir, but according to some people it was a thermal plant. It has a rectangular plan with pillars sustaining a barrel vault, similar to the Moorish fountains of the northern coasts in Africa. free entrance.
- 4 The Castle of the Counts of Modica, Piazza della Repubblica,12. Probably built in the 14th or 15th century by the Peralta family and then completed by the feudatories Enrico and Federico Chiaromonte. In 1535 the emperor Charles V lodged here. It was a possession of the Cabreras and then of the Counts of Modica, until 1812. Later, during the Reign of Italy and until 1960, it was used as a prison. It has a rhomboidal shape, with four towers: two quadrangular ones at the corners and the other two are connected by curtains and are cylindrical. In each tower there was a torture room for prisoners, the rooms for sentinels and for passing guest sovereigns. One of the particular characteristics of the castle is given by the thick walls which bound it and that in old times defended from enemies' attacks extremely well.
- 5 Castle of Ventimiglia (Torre Saracena). Situated on the top of Mount Bonifato, it is a medieval castle and today there are only some parts of the walls, the primary tower and the dungeons. It took the name from Enrico Ventimiglia, who declared he had built it only for defence, though according to some interpretations, it would date back to an anterior period.
- 6 The Castle of Calatubo. Outside the town, but inside its territory and on the road leading to Palermo, it is a fortress built in the early Middle Ages. The homonymous village of Calatubo stood nearby and its commerce was based on the exportation of cereals and millstones. In the same place there is an old necropolis dating back to the 6th century BC.
Other historical buildings
There are several historical civil buildings in Alcamo:
- 7 Casa De Ballis, Via Mariano De Ballis (Between Piazza Bagolino and Piazza Ciullo). It was built in the 16th century and it has a square tower with battlements, adorned with a round arch that contains two windows, one twin lancet and one triple lancet; probably designed in 1490 by Tommaso and Pietro Oddo, brothers;
- 8 Pia Opera Pastore, Via Pia Opera Pastore (Next to Porta Trapani). It was designed by the architect Giovan Battista Palazzotto in 1872;
- 9 Palazzo Fraccia, Via XI Febbraio,8 (Opposite the Basilica Maria Assunta). In baroque style it was built at about the year 1700. Above the balcony there is the family coat of arms: an injured heart surmounted by a crown.
- 10 Palazzo Rocca, Corso VI Aprile (next to Saints Paul and Bartholomew's church). It was built about the year 1629. Its portals and brackets are made with carved stones.
- 11 Palazzo Rossotti-Chiarelli, via Rossotti,30 (Between Piazza Bagolino and Piazza Ciullo). Built in the 18th century, it has a portal, railings and balconies in a baroque style.
- 12 Palazzo Peria, corso VI Aprile. Built in about the year 1700; this palace has got two floors and it has been recently restored with the Livigni method.
- 13 Palazzo Di Gregorio, via Dante. It was built about the 17th century in a neo-classical style.
- 14 Palazzo Patti, Piazza Ciullo. built in the 18th century;
- 15 Town Hall (Palazzo Comunale), Piazza Ciullo. in neoclassic style, built in 1843.
- 16 Palazzo Ferrara, via Francesco Crispi (at the corner of via Crispi and via Ruggero Settimo). in classical style, built in 1909;
- 17 Palazzo Pastore, corso VI Aprile (near Piazza Ciullo). In neoclassic style, it was built at the end of the 18th century.
- 18 Villa Luisa, Via Rossotti (near Piazza Bagolino). built in 1903.
- 19 Sacred Art Museum, Corso 6 Aprile (inside Chiesa Madre (Basilica Maria SS. Assunta)), ☎ . Mon-Fri 09:30-12:45. 3€, reduced 2€.
- 20 Ethnic, agricultural, pastoral and craftmanship museum, Piazza Castello (inside the Castle), ☎ .
- 21 Museum of Multiethnic Musical Instruments, Piazza Ciullo (inside the Museum of Contemporary Art). 09:30-12:30, 16:30-19:30. About 400 musical instruments: rebab, sarinda, gansira, swarpeti, bansuri, takita, marambao, vojnica, iakir and many others collected all over the world by the music teacher Fausto Cannone from Alcamo. Inside two rooms there are instruments and sounds coming from different peoples: from Thailand to Tibet, from New Guinea to South America, from Polynesia to China, from Australia to Argentina, and South Africa and various European countries. Free entrance.
- 22 Museum of Contemporary Art, Piazza Ciullo (inside the ex Collegio dei Gesuiti). 09.30-12:30, 16:30-19:30. free entrance.
- 23 The Nature Oriented Reserve, Via Monte per Monte Bonifato, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 9:00-13:00 / 15:00-18:00. A protected area on Mount Bonifato with remarkable natural, historical, archeological and geological interest. Inside it there are the ruins of an ancient hamlet (among which are "Funtanazza" and "Porta Regina"), the remains of the Castle of the Ventimiglia and the Sanctuary of the Most Holy Mary from the Heights (Santuario della Madonna dell'Alto). You can also use a picnic area near the “Funtanazza”. They carry out several and different activities in the reserve such as Nordic walking, mountain biking, trekking, birdwatching, and creative and didactic research.
- 24 Parco Suburbano San Francesco, Piazza Bagolino (below the belvedere), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 9:30-13:00, 15:30-18:30. The park is managed by the Association "Laurus" of Alcamo. Thanks to its volunteers, this green lung with hundreds of plants of the Mediterranean flora, gives the chance to children and adults to relax in the middle of its green. Inside there are a children's playground and a small zoo farm. free entrance.
- 25 [dead link]Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta (Chiesa Madre), Piazza IV Novembre, 2 (near Piazza Ciullo), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 08.30 – 12.30 and16.00 – 19.00. Realized during the 14th century and rebuilt in 1669; the portal and the bell tower are the only remains from the original church of the 14th century. I t is located in the centre of the town, near piazza Ciullo. The interior contains frescoes by Guglielmo Borremans. In the apse and in the side chapels there are works by Antonello Gagini, free entrance.
- 26 [dead link]Church of Saint Francis of Assisi (Chiesa di San Francesco d'Assis), Corso 6 Aprile, 2 (near Piazza Bagolino), ☎ . It was built between the years 1224-1226, demolished and rebuilt between 1608-1648. Inside it there are a marble ancon, probably by Domenico Gagini, and two sculptures reproducing the Maddalena and Saint Mark, both ascribed to Antonello Gagini.
- 27 Church of the College of Jesuits (Chiesa del Collegio dei Gesuiti), Piazza Ciullo. It was built between 1684-1767.
- 28 Church of Saint Olivia (Chiesa di Sant'Oliva), Piazza Ciullo. It was built in 1533 and renovated in 1724. Inside there are a picture by Pietro Novelli on the main altar ("Sacrificio della Messa" dated 1639) and works by the Gagini.
- 29 Church of Saints Paul and Bartholomew (Chiesa dei Santissimi Paolo e Bartolomeo), Corso VI Aprile, 183. Built between 1615 and 1689: it has got characteristic baroque features and holds a very ancient and valuable picture, the Madonna del Miele (made about the year 1300).
- 30 Church of Saint Mary of Jesus (Chiesa di Santa Maria di Gesù), Piano Santa Maria, 28. Built in the 15th century and enlarged in 1762. It holds the body of Beato Arcangelo Piacentini from Calatafimi.
- 31 Sanctuary of Madonna of Miracles (Santuario di Maria Santissima dei Miracoli), Via Massimiliano Kolbe (near Piazza Bagolino). It was built in 1547.
- 32 Church of Saint Thomas (Chiesa di San Tommaso), Corso VI Aprile, 31. The date of its construction is uncertain, probably the first half of the 15th century. It is faced by a great portal with geometrical decorations.
- 33 The Convent of Saint Francis of Paola (Monastero di San Francesco di Paola or "Badia Nuova"), Via Commendatore Navarra. Not to be confused with the homonymous Church, it was built in 1531, demolished in 1699 and rebuilt in the first half of the 18th century. There are a picture by Pietro Novelli and some allegorical representations by Giacomo Serpotta.
- 34 Saints Cosma and Damiano's Church (Chiesa dei Santi Cosma e Damiano or Santa Chiara), Corso 6 Aprile. Built in 1500 and rebuilt between 1721-1725.It has a baroque style and inside there are two sculptures by Serpotta.
- 35 Church of the Annunciation (Chiesa dell'Annunziata o del Carmine), Piazza Libertà (next to the Police Station). Built in the 14th century, it was rebuilt in 16th and 17th centuries but collapsed in 1866.
- 36 Church of Saint Francis of Paola (Chiesa di San Francesco di Paola), Via Francesco Crispi (next to the Hospital). Built in 1550.
- 37 Church of Saint Anne (Chiesa di Sant'Anna), piazza Padre Pio. Built between 1630-1634.
- 38 Church of the Guardian Angel or Sheltered People (Chiesa del S.Angelo Custode or Chiesa delle Riparate), Corso 6 Aprile (near the ost Office). Built in 1647.
- 39 The Holy Trinity's Church (Chiesa della Santissima Trinità), Piazza Trinità, near Piazza della Repubblica. Built between 1746 and 1757.
- 40 Church of the Holy Souls in Purgatory (Chiesa delle Anime Sante del Purgatorio), Via Anime Sante (near Porta Trapani). Built in 1813, demolished and rebuilt in 1958.
- 41 The Holy Heart's Church (Chiesa del Sacro Cuore), Viale Europa, opposite Bis Bar. Quite recent: it was built in 1967.
- 42 Church of Jesus Christ the Redeemer (Chiesa di Gesù Cristo Redentore), via Kennedy, 128, ☎ , . Built in 2006. It is the most recent church in Alcamo; there are three original works realized by the sculptor Massimiliano Apicella: Jesus Christ the Redeemer, the altar made with Carrara white marble and the red marble ambo.
- 43 Ex College of Jesuits (ex Collegio dei Gesuiti), Piazza Ciullo. Built in the 17th century, in the 18th century they added an arcade.
- 44 Church of the Holy Family. (Chiesa della Sacra Famiglia), Piazza Ciullo (next to the ex College of Jesuits).
- 45 Church of Saint Joseph the Worker (Chiesa di San Giuseppe Lavoratore), Via Monte Bonifato (from piazza Pittore Renda and via P.M.Rocca). Built in 1947, thanks to the great work made by the first parish priest Padre Palumbo.
- Associazione Laurus, Via per Monte Bonifato,102 (near), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Guided tours by bike, on foot, trekking: Castle of Calatubo, Mount Bonifato, Alcamo Town Centre.
- 1 Centro Congressi Marconi, Corso 6 Aprile (near Piazza Ciullo), ☎ . Classical music concerts, meetings and exhibitions.
- 2 Centro Ippico Lo Sperone, Contrada Sasi, ☎ . Restaurant and riding school. free entrance.
- 3 Cinema Esperia, Corso 6 Aprile,19 (near Piazza Bagolino), ☎ . there is a hall with comfortable seats on two levels (the stalls on the ground floor and the balcony on the first floor).
- 4 Civic Library "Bagolino", Piazza Ciullo (inside Collegio dei Gesuiti), ☎ . There are about 81,000 thousands books and important old documents on art, tradition, craftmanship and religiosity of people in Alcamo. Some books come from ex convents and friaries and from the section of the History of Alcamo's territory.
- 5 La Fenice, Via San Leonardo,13 (near Piazza Falcone e Borsellino), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 Multimedia Library, Via Commendatore Navarra (near the Castle), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 08:30-13:30; M&W 15:30-18:15. There are different sections with materials such as: newspapers. books, film and music collections. You can also use the Internet for free. You can consult its OPAC here [formerly dead link]. Free entrance.
- 7 Stadio Comunale Lelio Catella, SP47 (Provincial Road) (at about 1 mile from Alcamo.). Football ground, tennis court and athletics track. free entrance.
- 8 Teatro Comunale Cielo d'Alcamo (Civic Theatre), Piazza Castello (opposite the Castle), ☎ . There is a hall with comfortable seats on two levels (the stalls on the ground floor and the balcony on the first floor).
- 9 Terme Gorga, Alcamo Diramazione (Near A29 Motorway junction Alcamo Ovest), ☎ . Its sulphuric thermal waters are used to treat respiratory,rheumatic and skin diseases.
- 10 Whisky a Gogò, Via Pietro galati,41/A (near Viale Europa), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Classical dance, hip pop, break dance, Caraibbean dance
- Associazione Culturale Musikè, Via Mariano De Ballis, 25 (Town centre, below the Central Post Office), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Exhibitions, concerts, courses of music and singing; they also organize dinners and guided visits to the Palazzo de Ballis and its tower.
- 11 Saint Joseph, Saint Olivia's church (Piazza Ciullo). on19th March. Celebration in honour of this Saint with novena and procession.
- 12 Good Friday. Procession of the Dead Jesus and Our Lady of Sorrows
- 13 Gesù Cristo Redentore Feast. On the first Sunday after Easter they organize different cultural and religious events in honour of the Divine Mercy.
- 14 San Francis from Paola, Via Crispi. Second Sunday after Easter (cultural and religious events).
- 15 Feast of Patrocinio, Piazza Ciullo. Third Sunday after Easter. In honour of the Holy Family (procession and lunch with the living Holy Family).
- 16 Saint Joseph the Worker. 1st May. Celebration in honour of Saint Joseph the Worker with a novena and procession.
- 17 Saint Anthony of Padua. (13th June). Celebration in honour of him (novena and procession)
- 18 Maria Santissima dei Miracoli. (19th-21st June). Celebrations in honour of the patroness saint of Alcamo: cultural and religious events. During the feast there are a solemn procession of Madonna’s simulacrum, fireworks from the "bastione" in Piazza Bagolino, and the descent of civil and political authorities to the sanctuary of Madonna dei Miracoli. In the past (until 8–10 years ago) there were horse races along Corso 6 Aprile; the last two times they took place in Viale Italia.
- 19 Saint Ann's Feast, Piazza Padre Pio (below the Hospital). 26 luglio. Novena, procession and cultural, recreative and religious activities.
- 20 Madonna dell'Alto. on 8th September. Celebrations on the top of Mount Bonifato (dialect poems recitation and procession).
- 21 the Immaculate Conception. 7th-8th December. Celebration in honour of Immacolata Concezione with a novena, pastoral melodies and procession.
- Alcamo Christmas. Concerts, outdoor performances, preparation of traditional Christmas cribs and pipers' passing.
- Alcamo Estate (Alcamo Summer). Sagre, "Calici di Stelle", "Blues Festival", "Festival of Nuove Impressioni"
- Alcart: legality and culture. Second half of August..
- Cortiamo. Second or third weekend of December. Short Film International Contest.
- Costa Gaia International Trophy. 2nd-6th January. International Football Tournament for the young.
- 1 Adragna il Caseificio (Cheese and other Sicilian food), Via Pietro Lombardo,11, ☎ , .
- 2 Bontà rossa di Sicilia, Via Pietro Montana 4 (produce at Provincial Road (S.P.) 10 for Camporeale at 6 km, opposite Cantina Paladino), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Biological production of pomegranades (juice and fruit).
- 3 [dead link]Delizie, Via Kennedy,13, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. closed on Sunday. Delicatessen, local cheeses, takeaway gastronomy and butcher's shop.
- 4 Ceramiche Artistiche Ferrarella, Via Vittorio Veneto,74, ☎ .
- 5 Farmer's Market, Piazza Bagolino. on Friday morning. There are a lot of farm products: fruit and vegetables.
- 6 La Galleria del Corso, Corso 6 Aprile,40. There are some shops selling clothes, shoes and sport items.
- 7 Mercato Rionale, Via Tre Santi (Near Viale Italia). Wedsnay morning. You can find clothes, shoes, fruit, vegetables, fish and cheese.
- 8 Stellino Angela, Via Crispi,73 (Near the Hospital), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Souvenir, Ceramics, Gifts, Silver objects, bomboniere
- 9 Vini Manfre' Enoteca, Via Maria Riposo,43, ☎ . They sell different types of wine and liquors.
Most part of them serve pizza only in the evening: they sell it by the slice. You can have it on the spot or take away. It is a cheap way of having dinner.
- 1 L'Arcova, Piazza Mercato (below Piazza Ciullo), ☎ . Pizzas by slices.Very frequented especially at night by teenagers, attracted by the smell of just cooked pizza. There are outdoor tables.
- 2 Bar Grazia, Corso 6 Aprile, 330, ☎ . Very famous for its snacks, especially arancinos (filled with minced meat or ham). They also make very good sweets such as sfince di San Giuseppe (Saint Joseph’s fried sweets with ricotta inside).
- 3 Bar La Preferita, Via John Kennedy, 21, ☎ . Good pastry. Its cassatelle with ricotta are excellent!
- 4 Bar '900, Corso VI Aprile, 105 (Near Piazza Ciullo), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. closed on Tuesday. Famous for the high quality of its sweets, snacks and ice creams (among which the hazelnut ice cream, fried iris and ricotta bocconcini stand out). On the first floor there are tables and a terrace with tables and large sunshades; from here you can appreciate a beautiful view of Corso 6 Aprile.
- 5 Bis Bar, Viale Europa, 167, ☎ . Very appreciated for its sweets' production, snacks and ice creams. The interior is very cosy and has comfortable seats and large glass walls. Very good if you want to spend a relaxing evening with your friends.
- 6 Cafè Termine (maestri pasticcieri), Viale Italia,48, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bar, pastries, ice-creams, snack-bar.
- 7 Caffè Nannini, Piazza Bagolino, 30, ☎ . Mon-Sat, closed on Sunday. Bar-pizzeria-snack bar. Located inside a charming garden, there are often outdoor events (such as karaoke and musical performances). It is for people who like outdoor evenings together with friends.
- 8 Dolce e Gustoso, Via Salvo D'Acquisto,24 (near mercatino (weekly market)), ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. Self service, pizzeria, snack bar, coffee bar, sweets. Dinners for any occasions. 12€.
- 9 Locanda dei Matti, Piazza della Repubblica, 65, ☎ , . 19:00-24:00. Appetizers-Brasserie-Restaurant. Open during summer. €25.
- 10 Mondo Pizza, Via Florio, 19, ☎ . Here you can taste pizzas by the slice, calzoni, sandwiches and snacks. You can also buy "pizza al metro" if you are not satisfied with some centimetres of pizza.
- 11 [dead link]Pizza.Com, Viale Europa, 261, ☎ . There are very different types of pizza by the slice, made with mother yeast (lievito madre).
- 12 [dead link]Pollo taxi, Viale Europa, 234, ☎ . Roast and fried food.
- 13 [dead link]Salato Polli, Via Sant'Ippolito,1 and Piazza della Repubblica, 80 (Right Turning of Corso dei Mille), ☎ , , . They make grilled chicken and gastronomy. Try the chicken with salmorigano (a special sauce with olive oil, garlic,oregano and lemon juice) with fried or roast potatoes. Simple and tasteful!
- 14 Cibus Ristorante Self-service, Corso Gen. dei Medici, 15, ☎ , .
- 15 Hotel Centrale, Via G. Amendola,24 (near Piazza Ciullo), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily fixed menu or a particular one with meat or fish. Typical dishes prepared on request. 25/30€.
- 16 Il Gattopardo, Via 11 Febbraio, 1 (Near Piazza Ciullo), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tuesday-Sunday, only in the evening. Restaurant and pizzeria. Located in the town centre, very near to the Chiesa Madre and 18th century Palazzo Fraccia in a characteristic paved street. Its pizzas are cooked in a wood-burning oven.
- 17 La Batìa, Via Porta Palermo,106. Closed on Mondays. Hotel and restaurant
- 18 La Bufalotta Restaurant and Pizzeria, Piazza Ciullo,24, ☎ , . Open from Tuesday to Sunday. Very good pizzas made with branded products. The food is fresh and genuine.
- 19 La Faranna, Strada Statale 113, km 322 (Alcamo-Partinico), ☎ , . Restaurant and pizzeria. On Saturday night you can dance here for free!
- 20 La Giara Ristorante Pizzeria, Corso dei Mille, 105, ☎ . 12:00-15:00, 19:00-23:30. Closed on Tuesday.
- 21 Lo Sperone, Contrada Sasi (o Valle Nuccio), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant and riding school.
- 22 [dead link]Salsapariglia Ristorante Pizzeria, Via Libertà, 1 (Behind Chiesa Madre), ☎ . Open only for dinner, closed on Mondays.
- 23 Via Vivaldi, Via Antonio Vivaldi, 21 (near S.S.113, under Piazza Falcone e Borsellino), ☎ , . Restaurant and pizzeria. There is a children's area where they can play.
Pubs and Clubs
- 1 Alter Ego, Via Tenente Francesco Paolo Lucchese,2 (Near the Castle), ☎ . A very frequented pub very near the Castle and behind the Theatre. Its suffused lights and large tables make it an ideal place for groups. There are often musical events and during the football matches there are lots of people too.
- 2 Cavatappi, Piazza Mercato,26 (sotto Piazza Ciullo), ☎ . Mon-Sun: 18:00-02:00, Thursday closed. Risto-pub, fast-food. Music entertainments. Free Wifi.
- 3 Graal Wine Bar, Piazza della Repubblica,71, ☎ . Tues-Sun 18:30-24:00.
- 4 Jack The Ripper, Via Ingham, 29 (At the beginning of the road for Alcamo Marina), ☎ . Disco pub, bowling and pizzeria.
- 5 La Barrique, Piazza Mercato (next to Piazza Ciullo). Wine bar
- 6 Mad Devil, Via Fratelli Varvaro,2 (Below Piazza Bagolino), ☎ .
- 1 Affittacamere Francesca, Contrada Magazzinazzi,165 (At the Marina about 1 km from the railway station of Castellammare del Golfo, 6 km from Alcamo), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. It has a free car park. All rooms have conditioned air, Wi-Fi, TV and private bathroom. At dinner you can have Sicilian home-made specialities. 56€.
- 2 Affittacamere Windsurf, Zona Aleccia (Contrada Calatubo) Alcamo Marina (On the main Road for Balestrate near the beach of Alcamo Marina in Contrada Aleccia), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. There are flats and rooms air conditioned and a free private beach. The rooms have internal bathrooms, kitchen and TV, some have a balcony. It is at 10 minutes' travel by car from Balestrate or Castellammare, and 20 minutes from the Nature Reserve "Lo Zingaro". 280€-550€ per week.
- 3 B & B Casa Manuel, Via Macchiavelli, 16 (contrada Crocicchia/Pietralonga near Via Porta Palermo). located at about 1 km from Alcamo town centre, it offers free Wi-Fi, the use of barbecue and an independent kitchen on the ground floor. The flat includes a kitchen with a refrigerator, a sofa, a washing machine, a bathroom with a hairdryer and a courtesy set. 40€.
- 4 B & B Costapicca, C.da Costa, 37, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. At the foot of Mount Bonifato, the B&B Costapicca has got a garden and offers free Wifi connection. The rooms are air conditioned, with central heating, Tv and a bathroom with a shower. A buffet continental breakfast, including hot coffee or cappuccino, sweets and other food will be served every morning. 34€.
- 5 B & B Rahal, Via Marco Polo (near the town Hospital), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The flats of B&B Rahal include air condition, kitchen, dining room, bathroom with a shower, Breakfast is based on coffee, croissants and biscuits. The structure is at about 8 km from the beaches of Alcamo Marina and Castellammare del Golfo, 40 km from Palermo Airport and 50 km from Trapani Birgi. 35€-59€.
- 6 Casaulente (Flats, rooms, holiday houses), Via Discesa Santuario, 44 (Near Piazza Ciullo), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Its flats are air-conditioned and have got an independent kitchen and a living area with sofa and Tv. The private bathroom has a hairdryer and the car-park is free. The bed and breakfast is 500 metres far from the Castle and about 50 km from Palermo and Trapani airports. 35€.
- 7 Hotel Terme Gorga, C.da Gorga Calatafimi Segesta (A29 Motorway Alcamo Ovest Juncton), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 44€.
- 8 Villa Vaiasuso, Via Gammara. Check-in: 8:00-20:00, check-out: 10:00-12:00. The rooms are located in a house with a garden, at a about 7 kilometers from the beach and 3 kilometers from Alcamo. There are a terrace, shared kitchen and bathrooms, a barbecue, a free car park. Breakfast included in the price. No animals allowed. 80€ (5 people).
- Agriturismo Tarantola, Contrada Tarantola - Alcamo (Between Alcamo and Camporeale), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 40€.
- 9 Angimbè Relais Hotel, A29 Motorway Alcamo Ovest Junction S.S. 113 km 338.4, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Located between Alcamo and Calatafimi Segesta, it is an old baglio that was recently restored. The rooms are air conditioned and have Wi-Fi, TV, Sky channels and a private bathroom. In the morning, it offers a rich breakfast and at dinner you can taste some typical Sicilian food at the restaurant. There is an outdoor swimming pool you can use in summer and a free car park. Double room 60€-75€.
- 10 Baglio Fastuchera, SS 119, turn at km 5, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. Baglio Fastuchera is located in an old farm on the S.S. 119 (National Road 119) Alcamo-Gibellina. The rooms are furnished in a simple way and air conditioned, with TV and private bathroom with a hairdryer. At the restaurant they serve Sicilian dishes and a good breakfast. 70€.
- 11 Enny Camere, Via San Gaetano, 16 (Near the A29 Alcamo Est Junction), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 69€-89€.
- 12 Grand Hotel La Batia, Via Porta Palermo,106 (near the S.S. Junction for Partinico), ☎ , . This hotel is situated in the outskirts of Alcamo and it was a convent restored some years ago. The exclusive rooms are furnished with free Wifi,Tv and air conditioned. You can also choose Sicilian specialities and a continental breakfast. There are two outdoor swimming pools, a terrace, free outdoor parking and a garage. 80€-160€.
- 13 Hotel Centrale, Via Amendola,24 (Near Piazza Ciullo), ☎ . Situated near the town centre and the places of movida, this hotel has got large rooms air-conditioned with Tv and free Wifi connection. The buffet breakfast includes sweet or salted food and you can taste Sicilian dishes at dinner. The structure is at about 6 km fro Alcamo Marina and about 20 km from Scopello and Zingaro. 59€-89€.
- Il Baglio della Luna, Strada Statale 113 km.318,200 (Near the Borgo degli Angeli, an old country hamlet), ☎ , . An old baglio with rooms that are all elegantly furnished and in a different way.
- 14 La Battigia, Lungomare La Battigia - Alcamo Marina, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Located in the middle of Alcamo Marina's beach, it has a wonderful sight of the Gulf of Castellammare. It lodged the actors Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta-Jones during the shooting of "Ocean's Twelve", filmed in 2004 near Castellammare del Golfo. It has got a swimming pool and private beach. In the menu there are fresh fish and local meat.There is also a large selection of typical sweets and wines. It's a 4-star hotel. 60€-100€.
- 15 Residence Ideal, Via Ludovico Ariosto, 20 (Right turn off Corso 6 Aprile), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. At the Residence Ideal, located in the town centre in Alcamo, the rooms are air conditioned, with free WiFi and TV. The flats include a sitting room area with sofas and Tv, Kitchen with an oven and a bathroom with as hower and a bidet. in some of them there is a terrace with an outdoor furnishings. 40€.
- Villa 2 Pini, SS 119 Km 319, 700 (between Alcamo and Partinico). Located in Alcamo, Villa 2 Pini has an outdoor pool. This self-catering accommodation offers free Wifi, a patio and a seating area. There is also a kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave oven. The bathrooms have a bath or a shower and a hairdryer. You can enjoy pool view and garden view. A barbecue and a free parking facilities are included. 240€ (4 rooms for 8 people).
- 16 Villa Maruggi, Via per Camporeale, 140. Villa Maruggi is situated at the foot of Mount Bonifato and it is surrounded by a garden with very old trees. From its large terrace you can admire the Gulf of Castellammare. There are a living room, a kitchen, bathroom and a veranda on the ground floor. On the first floor there are: 3 double rooms, 1 single room and a bathroom. The house is furnished with conditioned air, oven, refrigerator,Tv and ironing set; outside there are tables, chairs and a barbecue. The area is very tranquil and near Viale Europa (at 700 metres' distance) and to shops, bars and chemist. 80€-140€.
- 6 Police Station (Commissariato di Polizia), Via Libertà, 1 (Near Piazza Bagolino), ☎ .
- 7 Carabinieri's Post, Piazza Garibaldi, 11, ☎ .
- 8 Motorway Police (Polizia Stradale), Via Pirandello, 5, ☎ .
- 9 Traffic Police (Vigili urbani), Via Don Pino Puglisi, ☎ , .
- 10 Fire Brigade (Vigili del Fuoco), Distaccamento di Alcamo, ☎ .
- 11 Hospital, Via Crispi, 116, ☎ , (First Aid), fax: .
- CRI - Italian Red Cross, S.S. (National Road) 113 km.326,100 N. 47, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 12 First-Aid Station (Guardia medica), Via Francesco Crispi, ☎ .
- Summer First-Aid Station (Guardia medica estiva), Alcamo Marina, ☎ .
- Ambulatorio veterinario "CittÀ di Alcamo" (ARTALE & LO BUE veterinaries), Piano Santa Maria, 61 (near Piazza della Repubblica), ☎ , , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Medicine, Surgery,Diagnostics, Clinical Analysis
- ACI - Automobil Club d'Italia, toll-free: 803116 (non-geographic number).
- Europ Assistance VAI, toll-free: 803803 (non-geographic number).
- Soccorso ACI Di Cristina, ☎ , , .
- Sicilcar, ☎ , .
- 13 Post Office (Poste Italiane), Piazza Giovanni XXIII, 1 (Corso 6 Aprile before the Basilica)), ☎ .
- 14 Post Office (Poste Italiane), Via John Kennedy, 6 (near Viale Italia), ☎ .
- 15 Post Office (Poste Italiane), Corso Generale Medici, 1 (Near Porta Trapani), ☎ .
- 16 La Nuova Posta, Viale Europa, 26 (at the begininning of Viale Europa). Mon-Fri 8:30-13:00, 15:30-19,00. Bill payments, registered letters, parcels.
- 17 Breaking Bet, Piazza Bagolino, 18. Every day 09:00-21:00. Inside there is an automatic dispenser of soft and hot drinks. 0,50€ per hour.
- 18 Internet Point Lupin, Corso San Francesco di Paola,48 (Near the Hospital), ☎ . €2 per hour, €6 all day..
There is a free Wi-Fi service in Piazza Ciullo, Piazza Mercato and Piazza della Repubblica.
- Alcamo Marina is a seaside resort very crowded during summer thanks to its wonderful sandy beach. It’s better you go there in the morning or in the afternoon. In the evening you can have dinner in one of its very appreciated pizzerias.
- Balestrate: in the main square there are frequent cultural and musical events. You can’t miss a walk along the near Via Madonna del Ponte, where there are often a lot of stands (“bancarelle”). In the same street you can also find very good bars, ice-cream parlours, pizzerias and restaurants with outdoor tables.
- Castellammare del Golfo: here you have to visit the beach (with several lidos which are also open in the evening), the seaport dominated by the big Castle at sea (Castello a mare) and its outskirts with a lot of pizzerias, restaurants and pubs. At Scopello you can admire its Baglio (inner courtyard inside a farm) and the near Tonnara (the place where tunas were caught).
- The Oriented Nature Reserve at Zingaro (near Scopello): if you love trekking, nature and uncontaminated beaches you must go there. The reserve houses vegetal and animal species that are typical of the Mediterranean macchia such as the palmet. Inside there is a characteristic cave where hundreds of bats nidify.
- Partinico: you can’t miss a walk along the main streets frequented by young people, especially during the holidays.
- San Vito Lo Capo: very famous for its long beaches and sea with crystal clear water. There are lots of restaurants and hotels near the sea-shore and you can also hire bikes to move easily along the coastline.
- Terrasini: you have to visit Piazza Duomo, very crowded with tourists, and its beach surrounded by a very attractive background . In the nearby streets, full of people even in the first night hours, there are a lot of places where you can taste the local specialities, particularly in pizzerias, restaurants, bars and ice cream parlours.