Balestrate originated in the 17th century around the tonnara of the Fardella's family. At first it was called Sicciara, that is the place where they fished cuttlefish (siccia in Sicilian). On March 29th 1820, thanks to the decree of king Ferdinand I of Bourbon, this maritime village took the name of Balestrate. The name derives from an anecdote: in 1307 king Frederick II of Aragon, fell in love with the beauties of its sea and beaches and reserved the sovranity of those places for a width as large as a pulling from a crossbow.
- 1 Palermo-Punta Raisi Airport (Aeroporto Falcone e Borsellino), ☎ . You can reach Balestrate, at about 45 km, through the A29 Motorway (towards Trapani, junction for Balestrate). The airport is linked by train or shuttle bus to Alcamo (at 12 Km from Balestrate). You can get the http://www.rome2rio.com/it/s/Aeroporto-Palermo-PMO/Balestrate-Italia train going from Punta Raisi to Balestrate railway station. From this airport there are home and international flights and several low cost connections; many touristic and charter flights in summer.
- 2 Trapani-Birgi Airport (Aeroporto Vincenzo Florio), contrada Birgi, Trapani (60 km from Balestrate), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can arrive to Balestrate through the A29 Motorway Trapani-Punta Raisi and going out at the junction for Balestrate. Shuttle bus services are carried out by Terravision and Salemi for Trapani and Palermo. From and to Trapani Birgi there are home, European and low cost flights. Seasonal touristic flights also in summer.
There are also taxi and shuttle bus services from Palermo and Trapani airports as far as Alcamo (for information phone: Gabellone Viaggi e turismo, Viale Italia, 31, phone: +39 0924 505955). .
You can easily reach Balestrate from Palermo, at about 40 km, or from Trapani, at about 60 km, through the A29 Palermo-Mazara del Vallo. For further information see the link: Autostrade Italiane - Automap.it (http://www.automap.it/autostrade/)
- , ☎ . 08:00-21:00. from Naples, Civitavecchia, Leghorn, Genoa, Tunisi.
- Linea Tirrenia, ☎ . from Cagliari to Trapani.
- Linea Grimaldi, ☎ . Tunisi-Trapani
- Linea Ustica Lines, ☎ . Leghorn-Trapani
- Siremar, ☎ . For the Egadi Islands and Pantelleria
- Traghetti delle Isole, via Ammiraglio Staiti, 23, ☎ .
- Ustica Lines, ☎ . Hovercrafts for the Egadi Islands, Pantelleria, Ustica and Naples.
You can go to Balestrate by catching a train on the line Palermo-Trapani (the railway station is in the town centre).
There are different bus services from Palermo, Alcamo or Castellammare del Golfo.
- Atlassib Italia, via Mazzini, 22 Alcamo, ☎ .
- AST (Azienda Siciliana Trasporti), via Virgilio, 20 Trapani, ☎ , fax: . from Trapani
- Autoservizi Russo, Corso Garibaldi 210 Castellammare del Golfo, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. from Palermo, Trapani, Castellammare del Golfo, San Vito lo Capo.
- Segesta autolinee, Via Libertà, 171 Palermo, ☎ , , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Palermo - Trapani and Roma-Trapani
Balestrate has a strategic position: in fact it is in the middle of the Gulf of Castellammare and between the provinces of Palermo and Trapani. It is few kilometres from places of great touristic appeal like Palermo, Monreale, Segesta, Erice, Mozia, riserva Naturale dello Zingaro, Oasi Capo Rama. West of the town there is a large beach with a promenade, with strips of free beach, but also bathing establishments with every comfort. East of Balestrate the coastline is made up of a large beach with fine sand, and again free beach and bathing establishments. There is a quite appealing Site of Community Importance, a wood which represents the only equipped area, where you can have healthy and relaxing walks being plungled into nature.
- Calatubo castle (at about 5 km).
- Chiesa di S.Pietro (Saint Peter's church).
- 1 Chiesa di S.Anna (Matrice), Piazza Rettore Evola,56, ☎ .
- Sanctuary of Madonna del Ponte.
- Remains of the old borgo, Tonnara Fardella.
- Ethnic-Antropological Museum, via Madonna del Ponte 2. open from June to September.
- Tiro a segno (target-shooting), Contrada Bosco Falconeria (S.S 113 Km 316 Partinico), ☎ .
- Lido Copacabana, Lungomare "F. D'Anna" Spiaggia Ovest. Beach club
- Lido Ipanema, Lungomare "F. D'Anna" Spiaggia Ovest. Beach club
- Lido Lagoa, Lungomare "F. D'Anna" Spiaggia Ovest. Beach club
- Lido Le Blond, Lungomare "F. D'Anna" Spiaggia Ovest.
- Lido Le Grotte, Lungomare "F. D'Anna" Spiaggia Ovest. Beach club
- Lido Lo Squalo Beach, Contrada Foce Spiaggia Est. Beach club
- Lido Oricao, Lungomare "F. D'Anna" Spiaggia Ovest. Beach club
- Banca Don Rizzo (Credito Cooperativo della Sicilia Occidentale), Via Roma, 90.
- Unicredit SpA, Piazza Rettore Evola, 1.
- Bar Tabacchi Tropicana, Contrada Forgitella Spiaggia Ovest.
- Frutti di Mare da Giovanni, Via Madonna del Ponte Ovest, ☎ .
- La Perla, Via P. Gesugrande, 40, ☎ . Sea food
- Sapori di Mare, Via Madonna del Ponte, ☎ . Sea food
- Bella Piazza, Piazza Rettore Evola. Spaghetteria.
- Carpe Diem, Via Madonna del Ponte, 76. Rotisserie
- 1 Cavallino Bianco, Contrada Piano Tresca, ☎ . Pizzeria
- Dèjà Vu, Via P. Gesugrande, 32, ☎ . 06:30-22:30, closed Thursday. Pizzeria, refreshments.
- El Tiburo'n, Via G. Garibaldi (at the corner of Via Repubblica). Pizzeria an take away.
- La Capannuccia, Lungomare "Felice D'Anna" Spiaggia Ovest (west beach). Pizzeria
- Lo Squalo, Contrada Foce Spiaggia Est (east beach), ☎ . Pizzeria
- Onda Azzurra, Contrada Foce Spiaggia Est (east beach), ☎ . Pizzeria.
- Paramaribo, Via Libertà, 28, ☎ . Pizzeria and take away
- Piccola Palermo, Via P. Gesugrande, 22, ☎ . Rotisserie
- Pizza in Piazza, Piazza Rettore Evola, ☎ . Pizzeria and take away.
- Sabbia D'Oro, Contrada Forgitella Spiaggia Ovest (west beach), ☎ . Pizzeria
- Taxi Pizza, Via Madonna del Ponte, 36, ☎ . Pizzeria and take away.
- La Sicciara, Via Madonna del Ponte, ☎ . Restaurant, pizzeria.
- Oltremare, Via Madonna del Ponte, 105, ☎ . Restaurant
- Rosa dei Venti, Via Madonna del Ponte, ☎ . Restaurant, pizzeria.
- Trattoria dalla Nonna, Via Madonna del Ponte, 82, ☎ . Restaurant, pizzeria.
- 2 La Buona Forchetta, Via Madonna del Ponte, 76, ☎ . A genuine cuisine and a cosy restaurant. You will find fresh and well cooked fish.
- 3 La Balestra, Via Madonna del Ponte, ☎ . With a wonderful view on the sea, there is a menu with a large choice of meat and fish dishes. the restaurant has also celiac foodstuffs. Moreover you will find a pizzeria with a wood oven and outdoor tables too.
- 1 Bacco's Pub (Nichida Service), Piazza Rettore Evola, ☎ . Pub.
- Black & White, Via Repubblica. Pub.
- Blanko Pub, Piazza Rettore Evola, ☎ .
- La Piazzetta, Via Della Repubblica, 74, ☎ . Pub
- Why Not?, Via Della Repubblica, 90, ☎ . Pub.
- Casa sul Mare, Via della Repubblica,13, ☎ . Bed and breakfast.
- Residence Valentina, Contrada Giardini, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Every flat, recently furnished and with an independent entrance, has a living room, TV, free Wifi, kitchen and a bathroom with shower. There are also a garden, an open-air swimming-pool and a barbecue. Free car-park. The residence is at about 500 metres from shops, supermarkets and restaurants. 95€ for 4 people, 2 bedrooms.
- Fattoria Manostalla (Villa Chiarelli), Contrada Manostalla, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The farm is an old baglio of the first decades of Ottocento, a property of Jesuits at the time and used as a place for praying: it is located in one of the most characteristic landscapes of rural Sicily and near the Calatubo Castle. The restaurant suggests its typical products: oil, milk, cheese, ricotta, vegetables and sheep and beef meat from its production. Old recipes of ancient tradition are prepared with these products. 70€.
- Residence "Eloisa", Via Madonna del Ponte 96 (About 800 metres from the beach), ☎ , . Has flats with free Wifi, air conditioning, TV, kitchen, bathroom with a shower and phone. Sea view from the balcony. In front of it there is a bus-stop with services for Palermo and San Vito Lo Capo. 45€.
- Residence Villaggio Petruso, Contrada Sicciarotta, ☎ , , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. It has a terrace with solarium and an open-air swimming-pool with a view on the Gulf of Castellammare. Free Wifi inside the flats and outside; you can also play darts, table-tennis and billiards. All the rooms have air conditioning, TV, fridge, kitchen and private bathroom. 45/60€.
- Baglio Carta, Contrada Bosco Falconeria S.P. 17, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 80€.
- 1 Casa Ruffino, Via Madonna del Ponte, 49 (near Via Crispi), ☎ , , , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00-24:00, check-out: 08:00-11:00. The bed and breakfast Ruffino is located in the 19th-century Palazzo Ruffino; the rooms have air conditioning, TV, private bathrooms and the hotel has free Wi-Fi and free parking for guests. Their typical Sicilian breakfast includes sweet and savory food. 60/90€.
- Costa Azul, Contrada Forgia Spiaggia Est (About 150 metres from the beach and one mile from Balestrate), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Has rooms with air conditioning, veranda and TV. The rooms facing the sea or the swimming-pool have TV, minibar and private bathroom with phone and courtesy set. There are also a bar, reading room or solarium terrace, swimming-pool with a hydromassage area. 84€.
- Hotel del Golfo, Via Madonna del Ponte, 109A, ☎ .
- 2 Marina Holiday Hotel, Via del Mare, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Located in three groups of buildings in the touristic port, the hotel has a fitness centre(with hydromassage bath and sauna), a terrace facing the sea and free Wifi. The elegant rooms have conditioned air and Tv, private bathroom with hair-drier and some of them have a hydromassage bath. At the restaurant you can taste the dishes of Mediterranean diet. There is also a meeting centre well equipped. 105€.
- Il Baglio Della Luna Relais, Contrada Bosco Falconeria SS 113 km 318,200, Partinico, PA, ☎ , . Check-in: 04:00-08:00 P.M., check-out: 09:30-11:00 A.M.. Located in a garden, the Bagliois inside a restored fortress. Very tranquil because it is far from the roads and at about 7 km from the sea. Free Wifi and car-park. All the rooms, furnished in an elegant way, are different; they include private bathroom, conditioned air,Tv, minibar, hair-drier. Breakfast is also included. Animals not admitted.
- Carabinieri's post headquarters, Via Madonna del Ponte-Est, 76, ☎ .
- Carabinieri's post, Via Libertà 15, ☎ , fax: .
- 3 Farmacia D'Arrigo Antonina, Via Madonna del Ponte, 44, ☎ .
- Farmacia Zangara Gaspare, Via Madonna del Ponte, 10.
- First-Aid Station (Guardia medica), Via Giliberti,42, ☎ .
- Traffic Police (Polizia Municipale), Via Mattarella, 10, ☎ .
- 4 Poste Italiane Spa, Via S. Giovanni Bosco, 27, ☎ , fax: . Mon-Fri 08:30-13:30, Sat 08:30-12:30.
- 5 Blue Sky, Via Madonna del Ponte, 84, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurants and acitivity of mobile restoration, internet café.
- Simsalabim, Via Madonna del ponte 45, ☎ . Tourists' assistance, info point, internet point, transfers from Palermo and Trapani airports, /Birgi, tour of Sicily, car and bike rent, tour by boat, holiday houses, hotels and restaurants bookings.