Assiniboia is a town of 2,400 people (2016) in Southwestern Saskatchewan, Canada. Assiniboia serves primarily an agricultural-based trading area. Its wide main street offers a variety of shops and stops.
Settlement by people of English, French, Romanian, Scottish and Scandinavian descent began in 1913 when 980 lots were put up for sale by the Canadian Pacific Railway put 980 lots up for sale when it built a branch line through southern Saskatchewan. The town's name comes from the former district of Assiniboia, in which the town is located.
During the Great Depression, town officials employed out-of-work men to construct the Assiniboia sewer system, but the town could not afford to operate it until 1948.
Assiniboia is about 105 km (65 mi) south of Moose Jaw and 100 km (62 mi) north of the U.S. border on Highway 2; it is about 175 km (109 mi) southwest of Regina. There is a small, private airport located north of town.
The Assiniboia Airport (which was RCAF Station Assiniboia during World War II) is 6 miles (11 km; 6.9 mi) north of Assiniboia. It has no commercial service.
There is no transit or taxi service in Assiniboine.
- Assiniboia & District Historical Museum, 506 3rd Avenue W, ☏ . June-August: daily 10AM-5PM; off season: M-F 10AM-5PM (closed noon-1PM); Closed Nov 15 - Mar 15.
- St. Mary's Historical Society of Maxstone (St Mary's Mission Church), Maxstone (15 km south of Assiniboia), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. By appointment only. Heritage site with church built in 1917 and school built in 1926.
- Southern Prairie Railway Train Tour, 401 Railway Avenue, Ogema (83 km east of Assiniboia on Hwy 13), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Full-sized, tourist train that allows visitors to ride the rails on a vintage train. Includes activities such as a visit to a 1922 Heritage Grain Elevator, Kid's Fun Train, and Train Robberies. Check website for hours.
- 1 Assiniboia Regional Park Golf Course (5 min S of town), ☏ . 9 holes. The club house is fully licensed with food service, pro shop, equipment rentals and power carts.
- Nash's Restaurant and Lounge, 401A 1st Avenue West, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM - 9PM. Poutine, hamburgers, pizza, fish & chips, oven-roasted lamb, spanakopita, chicken souvlaki, calamari and charbroiled steaks.
- Fresh Start, 122 3rd Avenue West (in the Shurniak Art Gallery), ☏ . M-F 10AM-4:30PM. Lunches, dinners, healthier options.
- Cruz- In, 330 1st Avenue East, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su 1-9PM. A 1950s and 60s atmosphere, with red vinyl seats, records on the wall. Salads, burgers, sandwiches, wraps.
- Bar-B Motel, 200 1st Avenue E, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Canalta Hotel, 601 1st Avenue W, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Wheel Inn Motel, 110 1st Avenue E, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
|Routes through Assiniboia|
|Prince Albert ← Moose Jaw ←||N S||→ → becomes → Glasgow|
|Shaunavon ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Weyburn|