North America > United States of America > Texas > Prairies and Lakes > Cross Timbers > Decatur (Texas)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- El Castile (Waggoner Mansion), 1005 E. Main St.. A fine example of Victorian masonry architecture, this beautiful limestone mansion was built in 1883 by cattle baron Dan Waggoner. It remains in private hands today, so it can only be viewed from the street.
- Petrified Wood Gas Station, 100 S. US Highway 21 (corner of Business 287 and Hale Ave.). It was built in 1927 and then whimsically covered in petrified wood in 1935. This old Texaco station looks like something straight out of the Flintstones.
- Wise County Courthouse, 101 N Trinity St (on the town square), ☏ . This 1895 pink granite structure is one of the state's most beautiful courthouses.
- Wise County Heritage Museum, 1602 S. Trinity St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 10AM-3PM. Housed in what remains of a former junior college built in the early 1890s, this museum has many artifacts from local residents over the ages. Adults $1, children $.50.
The charming old town square of Decatur has many antique shops and other quaint little stores and cafés.
- Catfish O'harlies, 1019 N Highway 287, ☏ . A great place to try southern breaded catfish.
- Whistle Stop Café, South US 287/Business Loop 81, ☏ . Home-style breakfast and lunch in the rustic atmosphere of a rock-faced building constructed in 1929.
- Rockine Bar & Grill, 1510 S FM 51, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel, 703 Main St, ☏ . Clean.
- Ramada, 1507 Hwy 287 South, ☏ . Pets OK.
- Comfort Inn, 1709 SR 287, ☏ .
|Routes through Decatur|
|Chickasha ← Duncan ←||N S||→ Fort Worth → END|
|Amarillo ← Wichita Falls ←||N S||→ Fort Worth → Beaumont|
|Post ← Bridgeport ←||W E||→ Denton → Greenville|