Dipolog is the capital city of the province of Zamboanga del Norte, the province that occupies the northern part of Zamboanga Peninsula in the Mindanao island of the Philippines. It is commonly known as the "Bottled Sardines Capital" due to its sardine production, and most popularly the "Gateway to Western Mindanao" being accessible from Dumaguete, Cebu, and Manila.
- Main article: Cebuano phrasebook
- 1 Dipolog Airport (DPL IATA) (north of downtown). Serves the city and nearby Dapitan. It has a single runway that has been upgraded in 1992 to accommodate small jets like the Airbus A320 family.
Ground transportation: There are tricycles to downtown, waiting outside the terminal.
- 2 Dipolog City Land Transport Terminal, F. D. Kagatan Rd, Miputak (south of downtown). Serves most bus routes in Zamboanga del Norte, Ozamiz , Iligan , Zamboanga, Cagayan de Oro and Pagadian.
Rural Transit is the main bus company serving Dipolog, operating deluxe, air-conditioned, and non-AC ordinary buses
Evergood Transit serves the Dipolog-Dapitan route. The bus plying the route departs every 20 min up to 7PM and takes 45 min. The cost is ₱20 for ordinary, and ₱30 for air-conditioned buses.
- 3 Dipolog City Port (Galas Feeder Port), Barangay Galas (South of downtown). Serves routes for Dumaguete, Cebu City, and Oslob, Cebu.
Medallion Transport has a non-stop ferry six times a week: Sunday till Friday at 7PM going to Cebu City, and from Cebu City to Dipolog departs Su-F at 8:30PM. Fare and accommodation starts from ₱790.
Lite Ferries has a daily ferry travel from Dipolog to Oslob at 10PM, and from Oslob to Dipolog at 2PM. Fare rate starts at ₱420.
The best way to get around are tricycle, habal-habal (Single motorcycle), and multicabs.
The center of Dipolog at night during Christmas is a truly wonderful sight: the decorations and the small stalls and the sounds of people. It is truly captivating.
- 1 The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary (Dipolog Cathedral), Padre Ramon Street, Estaka, ☏ . It's the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dipolog. Constructed by the Spanish friars of Dipolog on April 15, 1894, records show that the original altar was designed by Dr. Jose Rizal, the sketch of the altar was inspired after that of San Ignacio Church in Manila. The main attraction of the church is the ceiling made of Philippine hardwood.
- 2 Santa Cruz Marker (Punta Corro), Intersection of Rizal Avenue and Martinez Street, Central. This is the oldest landmark in the city dating back to May 3, 1905, marking the safe landing of migrating Boholanos settling near the mouth of Dipolog River.
- 3 Casa Bernedo (Bernedo Ancestral House), Arellano Street corner Ranillo Street, Dipolog City. Casa Bernedo is a two-story ancestral house, originally owned by the then influential Bernedo family of Dipolog, now a museum and Center for the Culture and the Arts in the city. Free.
- 4 ONAY Museum, Bucana, Sicayab (North of the city proper, but not heading to Dapitan City). A museum that pays homage to Zamboanga del Norte's own General Alexander Badong Yano, the first Mindanaoan and the 38th Chief-of-Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
- 5 Explore Dipolog Landmark, Dipolog Boulevard, Miputak. Opened in November 2019 which features the slogan of the same line, and it is near the Dipolog Watchtower.
In the morning: You can go to the bay walk to exercise for some energy around 4AM-6AM. Then, go shopping by which the locals call Okay Okay.
In the afternoon: You can get around by walking to Plaza Magsaysay, Bay walk, go swimming in the beach or just go shopping at Lee Plaza City Central, Dipolog Center Mall, Vallecer Plaza or SM SaveMore Dipolog. Or you can eat snacks from restaurants.
In the evening: Dipolog is sparkling when the night comes. You can go to bay walk which has so many events like concerts. Or go some disco clubs like FatCat or Zpol.
- Alvenda Hilander Farm. Hilander Farm is a new tourist destination in Dipolog City. It takes 2-3 hours by multicab to reach the place, its kinda rough road when you reach Center place in Mutia, going to the said place. The place have nice native and antique style of the house, swimming pool for kids and for adults with nice and cool overflowing water. They also have a zipline.
Shopping malls & supermarkets
- 1 Lee Plaza City Central, Quezon Avenue, Miputak, ☏ . 9AM-8PM. Three-story shopping mall with a Jollibee, Chowking, Mang Inasal, and Watsons.
- 2 CityMall Dipolog, Dipolog-Zamboanga National Highway, Santa Filomena (south of downtown). 9AM-9PM. Has SM SaveMore Supermarket, Ace Hardware, Watsons, Highlands Coffee, and many fast food outlets.
|This page uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:|
- 1 JO's Chicken Inato, Bonifacio corner Garcia St, Central. Try their BBQ with unlimited rice, Chicken Tinola in Coconut Shell, and Halu-halo in Coconut Shell.
- 2 Cafe Nicasio, General Luna corner M. H. del Pilar St, Estaka (In front of Zamboanga del Norte Provincial Capitol.), ☏ . 9AM-8PM. Serving coffee, all-day breakfast, and more.
- 3 Alberto's Pizza Dipolog, V. Calibo St, Central (near Bulwagan ng Katarungan (Hall of Justice)). 9AM-midnight. Offers a good and rather affordable locally made thin crust pizza. From ₱75 to ₱200.
- 4 Grandma's Best Restaurant and Bakeshop, Mabini cor. Arellano St, Barra, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-8PM. Serves Filipino dishes, scrumptious comfort foods, and various cakes and pastries. Also serves breakfast meals all-day. Catering needs? Grandma's Best accepts catering services at very affordable prices with spacious amenities. Starts from ₱100.
- 5 [dead link] Big Joe's Cafe, General Luna St, Central, ☏ . 9AM-9PM. Starts from ₱100.
- 6 UrChoice Bistro Cafe, Festival Shopping Arcade 2, College Park, Miputak (near Andres Bonifacio College), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10AM-8PM. Serving Italian styled pizza and pasta.
- 7 [dead link] Biaño's Pizza, General Luna corner Martinez St, Central (walking distance from Dipolog Boulevard), ☏ . 9AM-8PM. Serving pizza, spaghetti, potato fries, chicken, rice toppings, milkshakes, desserts, and beer. Starts from ₱110.
- 8 CLS Food Plaza, Magsaysay corner Echavez St, Central, ☏ . 9:30AM-9:30PM. Serves an extensive array of Filipino and Chinese cuisines. Starts from ₱150.
- 9 Chlisy Craft Cafe, Magsaysay corner Echavez St, Central, ☏ . 9AM-9PM. Starts from ₱150.
- 10 Tonino's Resto & Wine Bar, GF D' Hotel & Suites, Rizal Ave corner Osmeña St, Central. 11AM-8PM.
- 11 Umami Room & Olive Tree Bar, 6F D' Hotel & Suites, Rizal Avenue corner Osmeña Street, Central. 10AM-8PM.
- 12 7 Treasures Asian Cuisine, GF Top Plaza Hotel, Echavez Street, Central, ☏ , . Serving Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Thai, European, and Western dishes.
- 1 Infinitea Dipolog, Boulevard Commercial Complex, Dipolog Boulevard, ☏ . Milk teas (29 flavors), Belgian waffles, fries. Perfect place to enjoy merienda with air-conditioned shop and Wi-Fi connection.
- 2 Song Hits Family KTV Bar, 2nd Floor Boulevard Commercial Complex, Dipolog Boulevard, Central, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 5PM - 1AM. Starts from ₱99.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
- 1 Top Plaza Pensionne, Malvar Street corner Quezon Aveune, Miputak, ☏ . A/C dormitory type. Fan standard double with outside bathroom. Big A/C superior double with own bathroom and cable TV, free Wi-Fi. ₱150/₱280/₱560.
- 2 Casa Jose Pension House., Bonifacio Street, Riverside Estaka, ☏ . Fan rooms with cable TV. From ₱300.
- 3 GV Hotel, Quezon Avenue, Miputak, ☏ . A/C single and double rooms all with own bathrooms and cable TV. The GV Hotel in Dipolog has 58 rooms. ₱450/₱625.
- 4 Green Mellow Court, Osmeña Street, Central, ☏ . Fan rooms with own bathrooms. A/C rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. Fan room ₱250, A/C room ₱620.
- 5 Bamboo Garden Business Inn, 26 Burgos Street corner Bonifacio Street, Central, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A/C double room with outside bathroom. A/C double with own bathroom and cable TV. ₱400/₱625.
- 6 Eustacia's Pension House, P. Gomez corner Gonzales streets, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 2PM. Fan double room with outside bathroom. A/C single with own bathroom and cable TV. A/C double room with own bathroom and cable TV. Fan room ₱230, air-con room ₱350/₱450.
- CHIP'N By d' Sea Resort, Sunset Boulevard, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Fan, A/C rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. Free breakfast. From ₱300.
- FSA Traders Inn 2, 5th Floor Felicidad 1 Building, Quezon Avenue, Miputak (above Land bank), ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. A/C double room with own bathroom and cable TV, free Wi-Fi. ₱600.
- 7 Antonio's Pension House, General Luna Street corner Martinez Street, Barangay Central, ☏ , . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. A/C double room with own bathroom, cable TV, free Wi-Fi. From ₱499.
- Gardenville Suites, National Highway, Lower Turno, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Starts from ₱800.
- 8 Hapytelle Hotel, Magsaysay Street corner Malvar Street, Miputak, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Starts from ₱999.
- 9 Mibang Hotel, Andress Dacua Road, Santa Filomena, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-out: noon. Offers air-conditioned rooms, hot & cold showers, cable TV, room service, PABX telephone system, swimming pool and poolside bar, Wi-Fi zone, function halls, hotel van service, and complimentary bottled water. From ₱1300 to ₱3200.
- 10 Hotel Camila Dipolog, General Luna Street, Estaka.
- 11 Hotel Camila 2 Dipolog, Dipolog-Polanco-Oroquieta Highway, Lower Turno, ☏ .
- 12 Ariana Hotel, Airport Road, Minaog, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. From ₱1700.
- 13 Royal Farm Resort, Dipolog-Polanco-Oroquieta Highway, Gulayon, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. From ₱1000 to ₱2100.
- C&L Sea View Hotel, Quezon Avenue, Miputak, ☏ . Starts from ₱1000.
- Meaco Royal Hotel - Dipolog, Rizal Avenue corner Martinez Street, Central. Starts from ₱1500.
- 14 Top Plaza Hotel, Quezon Avenue corner Echavez Street, Central, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Offers fully air-conditioned rooms, PABX telephone system, cable TV, hot & cold shower, Wi-Fi zone, function halls, and hotel transport service.
- 15 D' Hotel & Suites, Rizal Avenue corner Osmeña Street, Central, ☏ .
- Gwandalan House Bed and Breakfast, G&K Building, Highway Lower Turno, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers concierge service, complimentary Wi-Fi and bottled water, pick-up from Dipolog Airport, fine art collection, 24/7 CCTV security surveillance, and coffee. From ₱2000.
- [dead link] Missio Dei Hotel, Arellano Street Extension, Miputak, ✉ email@example.com. Starts from ₱2000.
Health risks in Dipolog are not large but, as for most travel, it is worth checking with your doctor and possibly getting some vaccines before setting out. The area is tropical, so see also hot weather and tropical diseases.
As of October 2020, the city has four hospitals, with a fifth under construction:
- 1 Corazon C. Aquino Hospital, Circumferential Road, Biasong, ☏ . A public hospital, owned and operated by the City Government of Dipolog.
- 2 Zamboanga del Norte Medical Center, Circumferential Road, Biasong, ☏ . A public hospital, owned and operated by the Provincial Government of Zamboanga del Norte.
- 3 Ospital ng Kabataan ng Dipolog, Inc., 604 Padre Ramon Street, Estaka, ☏ . A multi-specialty hospital in Zamboanga del Norte.
- 4 Zamboanga del Norte Service Cooperative Hospital, Dipolog-Polanco-Oroquieta National Road, Turno, ☏ , . A multi-specialty hospital in Zamboanga del Norte.
- 5 Generika Drugstore Lacaya St., Lacaya Street, Central (walking distance from Dipolog Central Public Market), ☏ .
- 6 Mercury Drug Dipolog City Lacaya, F. B. Lacaya Building, Lacaya Street, Central (walking distance from Dipolog Central Public Market), ☏ . 7AM-8PM.
- 7 Mercury Drug Dipolog City Rizal Ave., Rizal Avenue, Central, ☏ .
- 8 LKS Pharmacy and Convenience Store Quezon Avenue, Quezon Avenue, Miputak.
- 9 LKS Pharmacy and Convenience Store General Luna, General Luna Street corner F. Herrera Street (formerly Katipunan Street), Estaka (walking distance from Dipolog City Hall and Plaza Magsaysay).
Nearby cities are Dapitan, Pagadian, Ipil, Zamboanga City, Oroquieta, and Ozamiz; there are buses to and from Dipolog. The Dipolog-Zamboanga via Ipil bus route passes through several places that may be worth a stop.