Freeport is just north of Portland in Maine and hosts the headquarters of L.L Bean. Because of the popularity of L.L. Bean, other stores were drawn to the area and it has become a shopping destination".
The nearest large airport is in Portland. Visitors also often fly to Boston, Mass. or Manchester, NH.
From the South: Take I-95 to the Maine Turnpike, Exit 52. Follow signs to I-295 North Take Exit 17, 20 or 22 for Freeport.
From the North: Take I-95S to Exit 103 to I-295S Take I-295 Exit 22, 20 or 17.
All of these exits lead directly to U. S. Route One, which is the Main Street.
Amtrak, the national rail operator, offers twice a day service via its Downeaster from Boston and Portland, with one additional train coming from Portland only. Going North, Freeport is the penultimate stop before the line's terminus in Brunswick
Concord Trailways can take you as far as Portland, but you're on your own getting to Freeport.
There is also Cruise Shipping docking in Portland, Maine. There are two convenient schedules available.
The main street in Freeport is Route 1.
There are also rental car companies located in Portland, Portland Airport, and Brunswick
- Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park, 426 Wolfe's Neck Rd (off Flying Point Road), ☏ (off season), (in season). 233 acre park with 5 miles of shoreline and woodland hiking with views of Casco Bay, the Harraseeket River and salt marshes. Picnic areas are provided. Admission adult $3, child aged 5-11 ; under 5 and over 65 free.
- Bradbury Mountain State Park. Nature Walks, trails, and hiking
- Brunswick Golf Course. Golf Course
- Casco Bay Yacht Exchange. Sailing
- Winslow Park & Campground. Camping
- Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park. Bird watching, and Picnicking
- Hedgehog Mountain. Bicycling, X-Country Skiing, and Hiking
- Freeport Performing Arts Center. Music, Arts ad Entertainment
- Maine State Music Theatre. Music
- Freeport Fire Museum.
- Harrington House. Home of Freeport Historical Society, Exhibits and Events
Freeport is a shopper's paradise with the L.L.Bean flagship store, outlets, small shops, and specialty stores.
- L.L. Bean, 95 Main St, toll-free: . L.L. Bean's flagship store is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Company headquarters is nearby.
- Freeport Merchant's Association.
- Ann Klein, 56 Main St.
- J.Crew Factory Outlet, 10 Bow St, ☏ .
Jewelry & Crafts
- The Beadin' Path, 15 Main St, toll-free: . The Beadin' Path is a crafter & jewelry designer's paradise with beads from all over the world, selling both retail and wholesale.
- Earrings & Company, 2 Mechanic St.
- Brown Goldsmiths, 11 Mechanic St.
- R.D. Allen Freeport Jewelers, 13 Middle St, toll-free: .
- Georgetown Pottery, 148 Main St.
- Freeport Fine Arts, 210 Main St, ☏ .
- Carolyn Walton Gallory, ☏ .
Boutiques & Gift Shops
- The Mangy Moose, 112 Main St.
- Betsy's, 6 Bow St.
- CO/OP Contemporary Clothing, 140 N. Main St. Worth the visit - funky boutique samples at great prices.
- Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster, Main St (at the water). Daily 11:30AM-8:30PM, Closed mid Oct to May 1st. Have them pick out a live lobster and prepare it for you to eat right on the dock next to the lobster traps.
- [dead link] Broad Arrow Tavern, 162 Maine St (in the Harraseeket Inn, 2 blocks from LL Bean), ☏ . Open daily for lunch and dinner 11:30AM until. Besides extensive menu items, there is a sumptuous luncheon buffet served Monday through Saturday 11:30AM-2PM ($16.95). Casual Maine-Lodge-like atmosphere, full bar, brick pizza oven, family friendly.
- [dead link] Harraseeket Inn Main Dining Room, 162 Maine St, ☏ . Nightly 5:30PM-9PM, F,Sa till 9:30PM. Reservations suggested.
- Azure Cafe, 123 Maine St, ☏ . Hours vary by season. Northern Italian food. Indoor and patio seating, live jazz, extensive wine list. Great special occasion spot.
- The Corsican Restaurant, 9 Mechanic St (1 block off Maine St.), ☏ . Lunch and dinner M-Sa. Casual soup and salad cafe.
- McDonald's, 155 Main St (SW corner of Main St. and Mallet Dr.), ☏ . It is different in Freeport. Looks like a home with a very small sign out front. No speaker to hear outside, you place your order and it appears on the screen with no other feedback from the order taker. This is due to sound ordinance in Freeport.
- Jacqueline's Tea Room, 201 Main St (8 doors North of McDonald's), ☏ . 10:30AM-3PM Tues. thru Sat. and every other weekend. Enjoy "Afternoon Tea", which in Jacqueline's Tea Room is a four-course meal along with tea. Select from over 70 varieties of the finest qualities of tea. Reservations are required. Gift shop includes English Teaware, baby and bridal gifts, as well as gifts for all ages of ladies.
- Gritty McDuff's, Lower Main St, ☏ . Brewpub. Very good microbrews.
- Jameson Tavern, 115 Main St (behind L.L. Bean), ☏ . Built in 1779 and first became a tavern in 1801. Known as The Birthplace of Maine. Have a good brew, see some history and eat some good food.
- [dead link] Freeport Cabaret, 5 Depot St, ☏ . Freeport's first nightspot featuring live entertainment is now open. Aptly named, The Freeport Cabaret features jazz, comedy, singer- songwriters and performing artists – with gourmet appetizers, desserts, fine wines, coffees, teas and cocktails.
- Maine Beer Company, 525 US Route One.
- Harraseeket Inn, 162 Main St, ☏ , fax: .
- Hilton Garden Inn, 5 Park St, ☏ , fax: .
- Best Western Freeport Inn, 31 US Route 1, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 450 U.S. Route 1, ☏ .
- 1 White Cedar Inn B&B, 178 Main St (Exit 22 off 295, head toward town, take a left at the traffic light. immediate right on Chapel St.), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. This B&B provides a full breakfast each morning in the sunroom overlooking the gardens. A/C, fireplaces, private baths, non-smoking inn. Free parking and WiFi. $150 and up.
- 2 Brewster House Bed & Breakfast (Brewster House B&B), 180 Main St (I-295, exit 22, then turn toward Freeport, left at traffic signal, blue-gray house on the right), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Located in an 1888 Victorian home. With 7 rooms, all with en-suite baths, free WiFi. Itinerary planning available. Gourmet hot breakfasts daily, afternoon refreshments. from $159 double occupancy.
- 3 Recompence Shore Campground, 134 Burnett Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11AM. Eco-friendly campground set on 625 acres on the shore of Casco Bay. Run by Wolfe's Neck Farm, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. 115 sites (22 with 30 amp service), kayak, bicycle and canoe rentals, camp store & hiking trails. $25-45.
- Econo Lodge, 537 US Rt. 1, ☏ . This hotel offers all the comforts you come to expect in a hotel with a budget price.
- There are more outlet stores in Kittery.
|Routes through Freeport|
|END ← Brunswick ←||N S||→ Portland → Boston|
|Augusta ← Brunswick ←||N S||→ Yarmouth → Portland|
|Ellsworth ← Brunswick ←||N S||→ Yarmouth → Portland|